New Windows PC Build for Post-Processing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My experience is just the opposite. Off the shelf computers frequently don't allow for multiple internal HD's, upgrading RAM, adequate cooling, and being VERY quiet, etc. While today's gaming computers may have better graphics cards, they may still lack features I want for photography.

I don't have the skills to build my own computer, but by working with Puget Computer Systems I can get the perfect machine for my needs today and the future, while still getting superb warranty coverage and support for long after the custom build. Puget Computer Systems is a brick and mortar business in the state of Washington and when I call a knowledgeable person answers the phone and helps me.

Yes, it's a bit more expensive than an off the shelf computer, but it lasts me for 8-10 years - including upgrades. In fact, after the storms pass, I will open it up, clean 'er up a bit, install a new (pre-wired) internal HD, copy data to the new HD from 3 old internal HD's, and increase my storage capacity while reducing the number of drives in the case.
I have my desktop pcs built for me too for the exact reasons stated in Karen's post. I use MicroCenter to build mine. I usually add additional cooling fans and make sure the power supply is large enough for current and future tasks. And i make sure I have enough of any needed port.

I have been looking at pretty much the same configuration as you. I have opted for the I9 14900K processor primarily because the cost difference between it and the 13th gen is around $40. Initially, I settled on the ASUS ProArt motherboard, but I have read that the thunderbolt port is designed for display support, but is throttled back to less than USB 3.1 for external drive access. Since I don’t anticipate using a thunderbolt monitor, I have decided on an MSI Nova board which has a thunderbolt header that will support a PCIE add-on card, if I need it in the future. NVIDIA is schedule to release the RTX 4070 ti Super on January 24. The MSRP should be close to the current 4070 ti, though initial prices may be higher at introduction. It has some performance enhancements, but my interest is primarily an increase in NVRAM from 12 to 16 GB. Everything I have seen suggests that NVRAM is one of the most critical components in dealing with AI technology for photo processing. This will be the 7th or 8th PC I have built. If you have never done it before, I find it to be very satisfying and easy, if you pay attention. Between You Tube and Google, there are no unanswered questions or unique problems.

I have been looking at pretty much the same configuration as you. I have opted for the I9 14900K processor primarily because the cost difference between it and the 13th gen is around $40. Initially, I settled on the ASUS ProArt motherboard, but I have read that the thunderbolt port is designed for display support, but is throttled back to less than USB 3.1 for external drive access. Since I don’t anticipate using a thunderbolt monitor, I have decided on an MSI Nova board which has a thunderbolt header that will support a PCIE add-on card, if I need it in the future. NVIDIA is schedule to release the RTX 4070 ti Super on January 24. The MSRP should be close to the current 4070 ti, though initial prices may be higher at introduction. It has some performance enhancements, but my interest is primarily an increase in NVRAM from 12 to 16 GB. Everything I have seen suggests that NVRAM is one of the most critical components in dealing with AI technology for photo processing. This will be the 7th or 8th PC I have built. If you have never done it before, I find it to be very satisfying and easy, if you pay attention. Between You Tube and Google, there are no unanswered questions or unique problems.

Current price difference is $200 between 13th and 14th gen.

My first build was in the early 80's, IBM PC XT Clone, 640K ram, 2 5.25 floppy's, RGB card and a whopping 20MB MFM hard drive that sounds like a turbofan jet engine coming up to speed LOL, and I still have it.
My big thing is drives have to be M2s, Amazon had the the SS 990 PRO 4TB for $150 on black Friday . My youngest son games (semipro I guess you could say) he is a database admin and SQL programmer by day and gamer by night, his team of five range from east coast, west cost, and Europe. He builds a new gaming computer every couple years and I get the hand me downs so I don't have to build anymore 😁 Can't wait for his next build. 😁

For comparison I suggest you contact Puget Computer Systems! I have worked with them to build two systems for me. I am very clear about HOW I intend to use the system and how far into the future I want to "future proof" it. (i.e. over spec it now to keep it viable as technologies/requirements increase in the future).

You will pay a bit more than doing it your self, BUT they have tremendous customer support! My current system was built in 2020 and they still take my calls! AND I got exactly what I wanted.

I second Puget Systems - everything you said is 100% corrrect

The Motherboard has bus lanes hardwired running to and from from the Ram to different parts of the MB.

Leaving empty Ram slots, is like having a multi lane highway and not using all lanes.

Ram is so fast these days, you don’t need to pay for the fastest speed, nor would you see any difference in Photoshop.

I think I have my Asus MB set to XMP.
I can double check though.
Only server (xeon & amd epyc) or workstation class cpu’s (core i9 extreme- not updated for last several years, threadripper or threadripper pro) supports quad channel or greater memory. For the rest, dual channel only where two sticks support higher ram clock speeds than four.

Interested in any thoughts on my new Windows PC build. I can't find a pre-built PC that I think works well for processing photos so I am building my own (Am I crazy? Isn't it just an advanced Lego set?). Here is a list of component parts.
Motherboard - Asus ProArt Z790 Creator with Thunderbolt 4
Processor - Intel Core i9-13900K with 24 cores (8 P-cores and 16 E-cores)
RAM - 96GB (2 x 48GB) Teamgroup T-Create 6800Mhz
Internal SSD - two Samsung 990 PRO Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4. X4 NVMe 2.0c - M.2 Internal SSD (one primary and one storage)
Graphics - ASUS ProArt GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti 12GB OC Edition GDDR6X Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X)
Power Supply - ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II (1200 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum
Cooler - ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 All-in-one Liquid CPU Cooler with 360mm Radiator
Fans - extra case fans
HDD - 2 x 20TB Seagate drives - either in PC case or separate Thunderbolt OWC enclosure - would Thunderbolt provide faster access?
Just as a hint on built PC's give Falcon Northwest a look. I have been using them since 2006. I have built two systems and two laptops over the last 18 years and they have all been fantastic. I bought the extended factory service and it was worth the money.

This what Puget Systems says about PCs for PS
https://www.pugetsystems.com/soluti...ons/adobe-photoshop/hardware-recommendations/

Also note that Puget Systems only uses air cooling not water cooling. I can say from experience that their cooling solutions work quit well - at least on the machine they built for me (13700k/RTX 3070 TI). The do a lot of stress testing and provide the results and CPU/GPU temperature during the tests.

Last edited:
Interested in any thoughts on my new Windows PC build. I can't find a pre-built PC that I think works well for processing photos so I am building my own (Am I crazy? Isn't it just an advanced Lego set?). Here is a list of component parts.
Internal SSD - two Samsung 990 PRO Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4. X4 NVMe 2.0c - M.2 Internal SSD (one primary and one storage)
Graphics - ASUS ProArt GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti 12GB OC Edition GDDR6X Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X)
Power Supply - ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II (1200 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum
Cooler - ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 All-in-one Liquid CPU Cooler with 360mm Radiator
Fans - extra case fans
HDD - 2 x 20TB Seagate drives - either in PC case or separate Thunderbolt OWC enclosure - would Thunderbolt provide faster access?
That’s a whole lot more than you need to process still photos. If you enjoy gaming and building pcs that’s another story. You can configure a Dell XPS desktop with an i9 processor, 32 GB RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, 4070 with 12 Gb, and 1000 watt power supply for about $2400. Then go to B&H and buy two 20TB HDD for around $300 each. I have an older version of this configuration equipped with 39 TB of memory that I use on a daily to process photos in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Capture One. It performs well. Why the 20 TB HDDs? It’s cheaper than NAS and serves my needs very well. On the other hand the process of building a pc is both educational and rewarding assuming the build works without problems.

This what Puget Systems says about PCs for PS
https://www.pugetsystems.com/soluti...ons/adobe-photoshop/hardware-recommendations/

Also note that Puget Systems only uses air cooling not water cooling. I can say from experience that their cooling solutions work quit well - at least on the machine they built for me (13700k/RTX 3070 TI). The do a lot of stress testing and provide the results and CPU/GPU temperature during the tests.
Welcome to BCG! Seems like there are quite a few happy Puget Computer Systems folks here! My first order with them was in 2012!

That’s a whole lot more than you need to process still photos. If you enjoy gaming and building pcs that’s another story. You can configure a Dell XPS desktop with an i9 processor, 32 GB RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, 4070 with 12 Gb, and 1000 watt power supply for about $2400. Then go to B&H and buy two 20TB HDD for around $300 each. I have an older version of this configuration equipped with 39 TB of memory that I use on a daily to process photos in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Capture One. It performs well. Why the 20 TB HDDs? It’s cheaper than NAS and serves my needs very well. On the other hand the process of building a pc is both educational and rewarding assuming the build works without problems.

Did you read post 9 and 36? He's not processing single images or just a few images at a time....

For comparison I suggest you contact Puget Computer Systems! I have worked with them to build two systems for me. I am very clear about HOW I intend to use the system and how far into the future I want to "future proof" it. (i.e. over spec it now to keep it viable as technologies/requirements increase in the future).

You will pay a bit more than doing it your self, BUT they have tremendous customer support! My current system was built in 2020 and they still take my calls! AND I got exactly what I wanted.
I had a similar good experience with Puget Systems. I also built in 2020 and still get great support and consultation when on the rare occasion I think something is amiss. Typically, a perceived problem is solved with consultation or a driver update not covered by Windows update. I did have the original graphics card develop an intermediate problem that caused random blue screen. The remote DX was inconclusive, hence the system was sent back. Round trip from Ohio was about 12 days, so that is something to take into account when selecting your system and builder.

I had a similar good experience with Puget Systems. I also built in 2020 and still get great support and consultation when on the rare occasion I think something is amiss. Typically, a perceived problem is solved with consultation or a driver update not covered by Windows update. I did have the original graphics card develop an intermediate problem that caused random blue screen. The remote DX was inconclusive, hence the system was sent back. Round trip from Ohio was about 12 days, so that is something to take into account when selecting your system and builder.
Welcome to BCG!

Fans - extra case fans
For whatever it's worth here's my newest editing pc and monitor. I've had it abouit 10 months and it's as killer as it sounds. The M.2 cards are actually one WD Black 850 2 TB and one 4TB and 2 of the Samsung 990 Pros 2 TB. The 990s are faster by far at random data handling and make a difference when you throw a lot of data at LRC to manipulate.

The M.2 drives runs at around 7500 mbs and the mobo has 2 PCIE GEN 4 and 2 GEN 5 M.2 slots. Currently the available Gen 5 drives are running at 10,000 MB/s but when the factories gear up for it true GEN 5 will run at over 15,000. There are no PCIE Gen 5 GPUs out there yet but they are coming.

Monitor Specs: https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-oled-pa32dc/

The PC says X-6 but I told Xidax what components I wanted and they built it to spec for me.

When I install a Gen 5 GPU I'll also get rid of the liquid CPU cooler and install a Noctua air cooler. Just as an FYI, I've had to replace every liquid cooler in the last 4 PCs and have learned that air cooled runs cooler and because the liquid cooling radiators block air from escaping the case even when not clogged by dirt. Over time the radiators and fan shrouds begin to act as a filter and become restricted. These guys do run hot especially with 4 M.2s and a honking big GPU blocking air flow.

I left the build picture PDF to show that horrible vertical GPU mount. Don't do it. It sits right on the bottom fans and reduces airflow in the case alot. When I put in a GEN 5 GPU is will be mounted horizontally.

Xidax warranties what they built for life.

Happy shopping.

Xidax X-6
$5,984.90
  • (1x) Leviathan X Black EOL
  • (1x) AMD RYZEN 9 7950X3D 16C/32T 5.7GHZ
  • (1x) Xidax Ultra RGB 360mm AIO
  • (1x) ASUS PROART X670E-CREATOR WIFI
  • (1x) XIDAX APPROVED 80PLUS GOLD ATX3.0/PCIE 5.0 1300W POWER SUPPLY
  • (1x) G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 RGB AMD EXPO DDR5 6000MHZ 32GB: 128GB (32x4)
  • (1x) GeForce RTX® 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G
  • (1x) Xidax Ultra Sleeving: White
  • (9x) Corsair QL120 Series RGB Fans
  • (1x) WINDOWS 11 RECOVERY FLASH DRIVE
  • (1x) Xidax Gaming Shield -Virus & Malware Protection
  • (1x) Windows 11: Pro
  • (2x) WD_BLACK SN850X M.2: 2 TB

Build Photos​

2050217-16799490603818721343965495786719.jpg

For whatever it's worth here's my newest editing pc and monitor. I've had it abouit 10 months and it's as killer as it sounds. The M.2 cards are actually one WD Black 850 2 TB and one 4TB and 2 of the Samsung 990 Pros 2 TB. The 990s are faster by far at random data handling and make a difference when you throw a lot of data at LRC to manipulate.

The M.2 drives runs at around 7500 mbs and the mobo has 2 PCIE GEN 4 and 2 GEN 5 M.2 slots. Currently the available Gen 5 drives are running at 10,000 MB/s but when the factories gear up for it true GEN 5 will run at over 15,000. There are no PCIE Gen 5 GPUs out there yet but they are coming.

Monitor Specs: https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-oled-pa32dc/

The PC says X-6 but I told Xidax what components I wanted and they built it to spec for me.

When I install a Gen 5 GPU I'll also get rid of the liquid CPU cooler and install a Noctua air cooler. Just as an FYI, I've had to replace every liquid cooler in the last 4 PCs and have learned that air cooled runs cooler and because the liquid cooling radiators block air from escaping the case even when not clogged by dirt. Over time the radiators and fan shrouds begin to act as a filter and become restricted. These guys do run hot especially with 4 M.2s and a honking big GPU blocking air flow.

I left the build picture PDF to show that horrible vertical GPU mount. Don't do it. It sits right on the bottom fans and reduces airflow in the case alot. When I put in a GEN 5 GPU is will be mounted horizontally.

Xidax warranties what they built for life.

Happy shopping.

Xidax X-6
$5,984.90
  • (1x) Leviathan X Black EOL
  • (1x) AMD RYZEN 9 7950X3D 16C/32T 5.7GHZ
  • (1x) Xidax Ultra RGB 360mm AIO
  • (1x) ASUS PROART X670E-CREATOR WIFI
  • (1x) XIDAX APPROVED 80PLUS GOLD ATX3.0/PCIE 5.0 1300W POWER SUPPLY
  • (1x) G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 RGB AMD EXPO DDR5 6000MHZ 32GB: 128GB (32x4)
  • (1x) GeForce RTX® 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G
  • (1x) Xidax Ultra Sleeving: White
  • (9x) Corsair QL120 Series RGB Fans
  • (1x) WINDOWS 11 RECOVERY FLASH DRIVE
  • (1x) Xidax Gaming Shield -Virus & Malware Protection
  • (1x) Windows 11: Pro
  • (2x) WD_BLACK SN850X M.2: 2 TB
Wow - does the $6,000 price include the Asus PA32DC (meaning that the PC is $2500, with a $1800 4090 GPU)?

There is the concept of bottlenecks and with my batch processing of PSD files it was the available memory. Much faster with the same hardware on a computer running the Mac OSX that allowed the application to address more than 3.5GB RAM as with Windows XP.

Most editing applications do not make use of multiple GPU cores and performance depends primarily on the CPU and the clock rate. For gamers a i7 CPU and a RTX 4090 provides the best performance for their needs. For content creators a i9 CPU is more important than a particular GPU. If all use a computer for was email and gaming then the i7 plus RX or RTX board would be the way to go.

For my needs a i9 GPU (and the latest have double the performance of my 2020 version) and lots of RAM and fast I/O with the onboard data storage and a 10GB Ethernet for connecting to a NAS and a Firewire board for connecting to a film scanner is what are important. I have been using dual internal drives with RAID1 for the past 10 years to maximize performance. I started with hard drives and later with SSD ones and most recently with NVMe M.2 "drives".

The NVMe are what the computer manufacturers have migrated to in order to compensate for the space lost to very and very power hungry large graphics cards. The downside I have found is that the NVMe are very heat sensitive and rely on passive cooling with heatsinks. I have had two of mine fail after 12 months of use. I am thinking of switching back to dual 2.5" SSD drives with my next workstation.
Sorry Calson, not trying to start a debate but have to add a note to your post. Current multicore GPU tech does distribute CPU load. Just seeing that you mention Windows XP gives an idea of how outdated some of this info is. CFexpress cards we use in Z bodies are NVME "drives". SSD memory (storage drives included) technology isn't and never has been driven by MOBO manufactures needing to cut power requirements to put in bigger GPUs. One of the major advancements in PC power saving was eliminating hard drive motors. A large RAID array of a bunch of Barracuda hard drives is extremely power hungry ;) The keywords in computing are always smaller, faster and more efficient (heat reduction and power use).

I'm not knocking anything you said but much of it is outdated. Reading outdated info could mislead others trying to form an opinion. There's plenty of good current real information out there. For example, Microsoft stopped selling Windows XP in 2008. The D700 was released in 2008. Microsoft ended all support for XP in 2014.

Happy photography, happy shooting and most of all have a happy life.

Wow - does the $6,000 price include the Asus PA32DC (meaning that the PC is $2500, with a $1800 4090 GPU)?
No. $4,000 for the monitor after taxes. It's definitely not for everybody. It's the most advanced OLED editing monitor made. Both are serious content creator tools and the prices without a doubt reflect it. The additional GEN 4 NVME drives add close to a grand to the prices shown but have gone way down since the GEN 5 mobos have been released. It's kind of one of things where I bought a 6000 thousand dollar Z9 body to go with 8 or 10 grand worth of other Nikon bodies and another 30 or 40 grand worth of lenses why would I economize on the final step of producing the finest images possible? Don't even get me started on the cost of 11 ink printers, ink and paper. It's a good thing I am having so much fun:LOL:

No. $4,000 for the monitor after taxes. It's definitely not for everybody. It's the most advanced OLED editing monitor made. Both are serious content creator tools and the prices without a doubt reflect it. The additional GEN 4 NVME drives add close to a grand to the prices shown but have gone way down since the GEN 5 mobos have been released. It's kind of one of things where I bought a 6000 thousand dollar Z9 body to go with 8 or 10 grand worth of other Nikon bodies and another 30 or 40 grand worth of lenses why would I economize on the final step of producing the finest images possible? Don't even get me started on the cost of 11 ink printers, ink and paper. It's a good thing I am having so much fun:LOL:

Impressive!! Spend it - you can't take it with you!

I think those above have given the appropriate and applicable advice and opinions regarding the components. My opinion is that is it is beyond what is needed for photo editing but is probably a great gaming machine and will work well for editing. However, it looks like the OP hasn't built a computer ("like legos")...I've built my own for the last 20 years or so and am definitely am not a geek. It is indeed a lot like legos...or maybe tinker toys. The hardest part is deciding on what to put in...and putting the legacy little jumpers on that stupid array of pins (the hardrive light, power light, and some other stuff...its very fiddly). Anyone can build a computer if I can.

My experience with Puget a week ago was not so good. Their website blog on builds for LrC is dated, stating that CPU is key and GPU not very important, although adding a few words about AI possibly changing that. I then contacted them via email with several specific questions about one of their recommended LrC builds as the site suggested email was a good means of communication. The next day I received a marketing-oriented almost form letter reply that didn't mention my questions and wanted me to click a link to complete a purchase. I could have called to speak with someone but there is a Microcenter close buy, so I think I'll check them out. I compared a custom build online from Microcenter with almost--but not quite--the same specs as the Puget build. It was close to $1,000 cheaper, although without the great warranty and probably a bit lower quality power supply and fan system. If I don't connect with someone truly knowledgable at Microcenter I may call Puget to talk to someone and see how that goes.

My experience with Puget a week ago was not so good. Their website blog on builds for LrC is dated, stating that CPU is key and GPU not very important, although adding a few words about AI possibly changing that. I then contacted them via email with several specific questions about one of their recommended LrC builds as the site suggested email was a good means of communication. The next day I received a marketing-oriented almost form letter reply that didn't mention my questions and wanted me to click a link to complete a purchase. I could have called to speak with someone but there is a Microcenter close buy, so I think I'll check them out. I compared a custom build online from Microcenter with almost--but not quite--the same specs as the Puget build. It was close to $1,000 cheaper, although without the great warranty and probably a bit lower quality power supply and fan system. If I don't connect with someone truly knowledgable at Microcenter I may call Puget to talk to someone and see how that goes.

Is this the Puget System article/blog that you are referring to? If so, there is quit of bit of discussion about GPUs, VRAM and....

Back