New Windows PC Build for Post-Processing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Is this the Puget System article/blog that you are referring to? If so, there is quit of bit of discussion about GPUs, VRAM and....
Yup, here's what it says, where I've underlined what caught my eye. I've been suffering with integrated graphics in a mini desktop I bought Dec 22, which makes using DeNoise a non-starter and have been thinking that 12GB VRAM is probably the way to go given possible future AI /ML features.

---------------------------​

Video Card (GPU)​

Adobe has been making increasing use of the GPU over the last several years, but currently it is not a major consideration for Lightroom. While a high-end GPU is not required to get the benefits of GPU acceleration in Lightroom, it may be a good idea to get a slightly faster GPU than you think you need to help future-proof your system as it is extremely likely that Adobe will increase GPU acceleration support in Lightroom in the future.

What GPU (video card) is best for Lightroom Classic?​

Lightroom Classic does not really utilize a modern video card for the majority of tasks, so we generally recommend a mid-range GPU to handle the needs of other related applications like Photoshop that do use the GPU more heavily. For most users, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti is a solid choice. The growing exception to this is the recent addition of AI features by Adobe, which you can read more about on their website.

If you want to see how little performance difference there is in core Lightroom Classic functionality between various GPUs, this article from a few years ago illustrates it well. We no longer include Lightroom in most of our GPU comparison articles for this reason.

How much VRAM (video card memory) does Lightroom Classic need?​

Since Lightroom Classic does not heavily use the GPU, VRAM is typically not a concern. If you have a 4K display we recommend having at least 6GB of VRAM, although all the video cards we currently offer for Lightroom have at least 8GB of VRAM.

Unlike apps like Topaz Photo AI and other apps, LrC isn't a big user of GPU. LrC uses it for AI stuff (masking, denosie, and) and export. However, using a integrated GPU may very well slow down LrC. I wouldn't think you could actually enable GPU acceleration with a integrated one. I have a 3070TI with 8GB VRAM and works very well on LrC. LrC's Denoise is a resource pig and I never use it. Topaz Photo AI is faster and it has better use of resources.

Reactions: seh
Back