Nikkor 28-400mm Announced

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What’s IR hotspots?
I am confused….
Some lenses don’t lead to IR images being rendered properly because they reflect IR light internally and unevenly. This leads to white areas recorded on the sensor known as hotspots. Good explainer below.

Last edited:
Full Review

One remark (as I expected upfront) which would steer me away…

USEABLE sharpness.

My guess is Nikon made this lens for the casual shooter not so much for the more serious enthousiasts seeking for the best performance.
However my experiences with the 28-300 make me wonder how it will perform when shooting in DX mode.
That lens was ‘a dog’ in FX mode but did perform very well in DX mode.

When I first read the headline I thought damn, I just bought the 18-300mm and I could have had this one. But as I'm reading here I'm happy I bought the one I did. It seems to me that Nikon is moving (at least with their DSLRs) more towards the amateur market and away from the professional market. When I had money to spend and I was looking at upgrading my D7000 I looked at the D7500 and I was not impressed by how it held up against the 7200. I ended up buying a lightly used 7200 which was a whole lot cheaper and in my eyes, with a few exceptions, just as good as a new 7500.

This forum is packed with photo-enthusiasts, hobbyists, and pros... but it looks as if there are not a lot of business focused people here. The Nikon 28-400mm Z @ $1300 is probably one of the boldest business moves Nikon could make. A typical person who likes to travel on cruise ships and organized tours, or has a family with young to high school-aged kids can now buy one lens and one camera and do it all.
Think about the marketing... Buy a full frame Z5 + 28-400 for $2500 (total) and photograph your kids little league game or go on vacation.
Backpackers and mountain climbers want to document their travels, but the bulk of a long lens prevents them from buying or carrying one. With a 28-400, ZF, and 40 f2SE, a photo enthusiast could take a 6 week trip with a backpack of clothes and do a lot of documentary work...
For those disappointed with f/8... get over it! Push the ISO to 6400 and shoot the thing. Canon made their $2800 100-500L lens f/7.1 @ 500mm and everybody who uses that lens seems to love it. For less that half the price Nikon has produced something different that will help them to capture the "family" photographer's needs.

bruce
I agree with you there. I have a 80-400mm zoom but I certainly don't take it hiking. If I'm not hiking and I'm just hitting some back roads or driving on Skyline Drive it is in the Jeep with me but it is too heavy to carry very far.

Back