NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S has been released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

[edit] comparing the lens diagrams (images below) on Nikon Japan pages, the internal TC is a more complex optic compared to the design of Nikon's external TCs

"Large-diameter super-telephoto lens with built-in teleconverter with high-resolution and beautiful bokeh for realistic depiction and high-speed, high-precision AF, regardless of whether it is a still image or video. Achieves a realistic depiction. The new coating "Meso-Amorphous Coat", which has the highest anti-reflection effect in the history of NIKKOR lenses, is used, and the synergistic effect with "Arneo Coat" provides clear images with good visibility even in backlight. In addition, the AF drive motor uses the "Silky Swift VCM (SSVCM)," which is a combination of Nikon's proprietary VCM * and "guide mechanism," for high-speed, high-precision, and quieter AF control than before. realization. In addition, the built-in teleconverter that expands the focal length by 1.4 times and the size and lightweight body that allows for carry-on into an aircraft demonstrate high mobility in a wide range of scenes and support professional image expression."
and it uses a new internal CPL C-PL460

View attachment 30905

View attachment 30906

The bent lines in the MTF chart with TC can be misleading. If I am not wrong, the lines bending down indicate the slight loss of sharpness relative to center sharpness...but it does not determine its sharpness relative to other lenses...so in theory, the 400 with tc can actually be much sharper than say a 500 pf whose lines are well above the 0.9 mark throughout...

Last edited:
At first I said "great, they increased the price of the lens by nearly 20%." But then I thought a little further into it. D6+400FL+TC14 = $18,200. Z9+400Z = $19,500. I guess when you're dropping this kind of money, $1700 isn't the end of the world. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I sure am happy the F glass works well on the Z9. I couldn't possibly keep up with all this new stuff financially.

Ricci Chera's post on social media is no surprise

D2B02993-4CE3-4132-B2F6-81128A215482.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I want one....I will be selling one of my boats to help pay for it.

Lens vs Boat:
No Gas
No yearly service
No replacing the cover every year
No fixing the trailer
No storage fees

I would actually save money over the long run purchasing the lens vs keeping the boat. It amazes me that some people talk about how $14k is so much money, and then I see them pull away in a brand new Mercedes. A lens will last much longer than a Mercedes and cost much less over time. :sneaky:

Is that the current 400 on the left?

Also no more carbon fiber hoods?
From left to right: 600E, new 400S TC, 180-400TC, 120-300/2.8

Probably the most "baller" lens lineup I could imagine...throw in the 500PF for when lightweight is critical and you are set for birds/wildlife!!

What is both impressive and disappointing at the same time is that they made this new 400 lighter than that 120-300....I was always disappointed in the weight of that 120-300.

From left to right: 600E, new 400S TC, 180-400TC, 120-300/2.8

Probably the most "baller" lens lineup I could imagine...throw in the 500PF for when lightweight is critical and you are set for birds/wildlife!!

What is both impressive and disappointing at the same time is that they made this new 400 lighter than that 120-300....I was always disappointed in the weight of that 120-300.

Baller lens lineup indeed.

Video reports that the lens focuses with magnets in lieu of gears. Sounds great except how will the magnets hold up to repeated exposure to airport x-ray inspection machines?

Less wear and tear on repeated use though; less moving parts. Be interesting to see what could effect it but I would assume the engineers at Nikon know what they are doing.

I'm starting a GoFundMe campaign for this lens, to celebrate my 70th birthday (today!). Then, all you fine, fellow photo buddies can help make it a reality for me! 😁
Happy Birthday, Clark. Hope someone is baking you a cake today, if not funding your future 400mm lens. :LOL: When this lens really hits the field and it's being thoroughly tested with the Z9, it will be interesting to see how much justification photographers at large undertake for its purchase. Regardless of whether I would ever purchase one (I don't even have a Z camera yet) I just hope it's a superb lens in every way.

Less wear and tear on repeated use though; less moving parts. Be interesting to see what could effect it but I would assume the engineers at Nikon know what they are doing.
Hope so. But occasionally there are colossal design errors. A library that was designed to support the weight on offices, not books.

There is rule that Nikon WARNS one to observe, and that is to lock the TC in place before transporting the lens. There is a switch that you access with your right index finger to lock or engage the TC. No issue doing it other than remembering?

There is rule that Nikon WARNS one to observe, and that is to lock the TC in place before transporting the lens. There is a switch that you access with your right index finger to lock or engage the TC. No issue doing it other than remembering?

oh, right. the magnet warning is probably about magnets that hold the tc into one position or the other, not about the motors

Never noticed that warning before (on my 180-400). Good idea to keep the TC from banging around

Primarily a bird photographer then some other wildlife. My 600mm f/4E is less than a year old ... works great on my D850 with or without my 1.4 TC and all reports so far is it works great on Z9 ... ftz ready and waiting for Z9 to arrive. z100-400 just arrived today and Z1.4 tc already here. My 500pf and Tamron f mount 100-400 are ready to go back on the D850 when the Z9 takes on the 600 w or w/o 1.4 TC and z100-400 w or w/o z1.4 tc. So for me another $14,000 does not pencil out ... it will buy a lot of gas to chase life birds :)

Back