Nikkor Z Lineup January 2022 and Z Brochure December 2021

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Updated lineup with silhouettes of the 7 unannounced future lenses (from Nikon Europe)
note the timeline: "34 amazing lenses and 2 teleconverters that will be available by the end of 2023." emphasis added. Presumably, this means by April 2023

Updated Z Brochure - December 2021

NIKKOR_Z_LINEUP_Jan_2022_en_EU_original.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
The Nikon Z system is looking better with every release. Not all that long ago Nikon users were pining over slow AF with adapted lenses, lack of telephoto options, hanging on to their D500/D850/D5, agonizing and jumping ship to Canon and Sony.
I wonder who is now still considering a switch to Sony or Canon...
Nikon will have lost quite a few birders/wildlife shooters to Sony and Canon already, but they are definitely putting together one solid Z system.

Nikon traditionally has arguably the best wildlife lenses, and when the 800PF is announced, also has very unique high performing lenses. Sony has not announced a long lens in a while and I am sure the Nikon 400mm with built in TC will solidly beat the Sony 400mm in every way possible.
Canon only has the adapted (ported over) 400 and 600mm lenses, a very slow zoom and the 600/800 DO lenses for the millions.

My wait is for the 800PF. If it is at or below 2,5kg and at or below 8000,- I will get it for sure with the Z9, probably also if it is 9000,-....

Assuming the 400 F2.8 is an outstanding lens, and I suspect it will be, they have the "halo" products covered for the time being with the Z9, 400 F2.8 and the 14/24, 24/70, 70/200 F2.8 and a few niche lenses like the macro and wide to medium primes.

Maybe just because I'm a nature and wildlife shooter, I am anxiously awaiting the 200-600. If it is as good (or better) than the 200-500 (hopefully a little lighter weight but I doubt that will happen) I may make the jump from my trusty D500 to a Nikon Z. I don't do a ton of fast action bird in flight, sports kind of stuff so a Z7 ii would probably do me well, especially if Nikon were to release a new firmware making even modest improvements to AF. If Nikon launched a "Z8" (D850 equivalent) and the 200-600 it would be very difficult for me to resist.

While I like what they are doing with the big primes, just like with the F mount, their price is outside my realistic range but it is always nice to dream.

Someone needs to disintegrate that 105 Micro so we can see if the 600 has a TC or not :p

Something is up with that 600mm. Using the known length of 380mm for the 400mm, I get 420mm for the 600mm. Sony's 600mm is about 450mm and Canon's is 470mm. Nikon went up around 15mm from the 400 FL to the 400 Z and the 600 FL is 432mm and adapted it is around 463mm. With a TC and similar improvements compared to the 400 Z then you could see it being around 455mm maybe.

So either the silhouette is nonsense to make the image look better, the sihouette is wrong because it's still in development or it's a 420mm lens. If it's just to make them all fit on the image and they've altered the length then I think that would be very poor marketing because the shapes set an expectation. I don't recall many of the shapes changing much either as new roadmaps have been put out. So maybe it is a 420mm lens. If it is then I would imagine that it is incredibly unlikely to have a TC.

I think the TC makes the most sense on the 400 because of the sports use-case where people carry both a 400 and a 600 to the same event. If you want to win them back then show them that they can have almost the same thing but with 1 lens. I doubt many people are carrying a 600 f4 and an 800 f5.6 around at the same time. Whilst I think it would be a great selling point for Nikon if they include a TC on both the 400 and the 600, I could also see the benefit in having a 420mm 600 f4. Suddenly it starts fitting in more bags and being less of a beast for air travel. Maybe that's the direction they've taken it.

I would love to know exactly what the 600 is though before my card gets charged for the 400 :D

Something is up with that 600mm. Using the known length of 380mm for the 400mm, I get 420mm for the 600mm. Sony's 600mm is about 450mm and Canon's is 470mm. Nikon went up around 15mm from the 400 FL to the 400 Z and the 600 FL is 432mm and adapted it is around 463mm. With a TC and similar improvements compared to the 400 Z then you could see it being around 455mm maybe.

So either the silhouette is nonsense to make the image look better, the sihouette is wrong because it's still in development or it's a 420mm lens. If it's just to make them all fit on the image and they've altered the length then I think that would be very poor marketing because the shapes set an expectation. I don't recall many of the shapes changing much either as new roadmaps have been put out. So maybe it is a 420mm lens. If it is then I would imagine that it is incredibly unlikely to have a TC.

I think the TC makes the most sense on the 400 because of the sports use-case where people carry both a 400 and a 600 to the same event. If you want to win them back then show them that they can have almost the same thing but with 1 lens. I doubt many people are carrying a 600 f4 and an 800 f5.6 around at the same time. Whilst I think it would be a great selling point for Nikon if they include a TC on both the 400 and the 600, I could also see the benefit in having a 420mm 600 f4. Suddenly it starts fitting in more bags and being less of a beast for air travel. Maybe that's the direction they've taken it.

I would love to know exactly what the 600 is though before my card gets charged for the 400 :D
Yeah if the outline is correct the 600 must not have a TC. So far the outlines have been accurate for all the lenses once finally announced. But a 450mm 600 may have made the image less aesthetically pleasing...of course once they release the 600 they would have to lengthen it on the image. My gut says the outline is accurate which means that the 600 doesn't have a TC but also that they've shortened it more than the competition which would be awesome. One could say it is PF but I don't think so as then it should be as short or actually shorter than the 800PF. The Canon 600 f/4 DO prototype looked to be shorter than a 400/2.8 when seen in relation to the 1DX it was mounted on at the PhotoPlus Expo in 2015.

So for now I'm going with Nikon was able to shorten a 600/4...which also means I bet it will end up being the lightest 600/4 on the market when it comes out. Shortest and lightest is right up my alley....unfortunately Nikon's pricing certainly isn't...:(

The front and middle rows have been reshuffled to fit in the 28-75 f2.8. Updating the image for the 800 f6.3S PF reveals that out of the pupa, it's grown a centimetre longer at least, relative to the 400 f2.8S TC. So the estimated dimensions of the 800 PF need to revised slightly. Still working out the length but its revised diameter is now ~147mm. This means estimated dimensions of the 400 PF and 200-600 and 600 are subject to Nikon releasing actual photographs to compare against known lenses for reference.

October 2021 edition, above; January 2022 edition below

Z Nikkor Roadmap to 2023 pic_sihouettes.jpg

NIKKOR_Z_LINEUP_Jan_2022_en_EU_original.jpg

Last edited:
unfortunately Nikon's pricing certainly isn't...:(

They bamboozled us with the unexpected price on the Z9 then made up for it with the 400Z ($11200 to $14000 USD!)

The only Z stuff I own is the 9, FTZII and 50 f/1.2. I have a huge gap in my lenses (F and Z) from 201-499 (unless I mount my TC14EIII to my 70-200). 200-500 has never been a terribly useful range for the kind of stuff I've done in the past, so I'm in no hurry to fill it. There are really only 2 lenses I'm waiting on for the time being. I'll likely replace my 600FL with the 600Z. My dream Z lens, which will likely never exist, is an all metal compact 50mm f/1.8 à la AI-S - the "pancake." Build quality like the .95 NOCT. Maybe another dream Z lens would be a successor to the micro 200 f/4d.

Yeah if the outline is correct the 600 must not have a TC. So far the outlines have been accurate for all the lenses once finally announced. But a 450mm 600 may have made the image less aesthetically pleasing...of course once they release the 600 they would have to lengthen it on the image. My gut says the outline is accurate which means that the 600 doesn't have a TC but also that they've shortened it more than the competition which would be awesome. One could say it is PF but I don't think so as then it should be as short or actually shorter than the 800PF. The Canon 600 f/4 DO prototype looked to be shorter than a 400/2.8 when seen in relation to the 1DX it was mounted on at the PhotoPlus Expo in 2015.

So for now I'm going with Nikon was able to shorten a 600/4...which also means I bet it will end up being the lightest 600/4 on the market when it comes out. Shortest and lightest is right up my alley....unfortunately Nikon's pricing certainly isn't...:(

I agree. I think no TC and no PF elements. I think there's quite a clear understanding that PF means shorter, lighter, smaller maximum aperture and some optical compromises. I feel like the 400mm and 600mm lenses have to be those halo products that don't have perceived optical compromises.

The 500 PF is fantastic for the weight but the bokeh doesn't live up to the big primes in my opinion. It will be very interesting to see how the 800 PF compares to the 800 FL in that regard.

The front and middle rows have been reshuffled to fit in the 28-75 f2.8. Updating the image for the 800 f6.3S PF reveals that now it's out of the pupa, to have grown by a centimetre longer at least, relative to the 400 f2.8S TC. So the estimated dimensions of the 800 PF have to revised somewhat. Still working out the length but its revised diameter is now ~147mm. This means estimated dimensions of the 400 PF and 200-600 and 600 are subject to Nikon released actual photographs against known lenses for reference.

October 2021 edition, above; January 2022 edition below

View attachment 30966
View attachment 30967

Good spot. That's quite a difference. I guess I can throw my 600mm thoughts in the bin then for now :D

I also noticed the 800mm picked up a gold ring, so I expect it got a little more expensive.
Only a little bit more expensive. we should be so lucky. I expect a big step up from the 500 PF, perhaps double the price.

Like to see Nikon make a Z version of 180-400 (updated some how). Perhaps 200-500 F/f-5.6 with drop in 1.4. Don' expect to see it but it or something similar is on my wish list

Well I’m waiting for that 200-600
i have the 2xTC with the 70-200 as a stop gap.
I hope it won’t be too long. The 100-400 is tempting, but I’ll wait.
I also see yellow bands on the 400 and 800…. Is that a new “gold standard” for Z lenses, over and above the S line?

800PF is going to be 5 figures from what I see now....well I always said that from the beginning anyways because why would losing 1/3 a stop and some length drop a lens so far down from the $17K 800E?

Neither have had a development announcement... unless they only do that for high end lenses.
I think that is primarily the higher end bodies and lenses, and even then it isn’t guaranteed. Nikon does list both of these in the three upcoming lenses section on the Z mount lens site. Of course they have been there for a while.

I think that is primarily the higher end bodies and lenses, and even then it isn’t guaranteed. Nikon does list both of these in the three upcoming lenses section on the Z mount lens site. Of course they have been there for a while.
If I had to guess Id say the 85 is next.... we just got 2 telephotos released and another announced. 85, 800, 200-600, 400pf, then 600f4 in that order nikon released 2 lenses at 400mm so the 400pf wont be soon but they also need some space between the 100-400, 200-600 and 600f4. Im sure some smaller lenses will be mixed in that lineup as well.

Back