Nikon 10-20 vs 10-24 DX

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

So I spent a week in Mallorca and used my D850 + 16-35 mm F4 (1.6 kg / 3.5 lb) to take landscape photos. It did a great job, but it was quite heavy for longer hikes and it drew too much attention in small cities (size wise). I considered switching to my 24 mm F1.8 but it wasn’t wide enough (225 out of 300 photos were taken at 16 mm). PS I’m not a fan of stitching photos.

Best solution would be a Z5 + 14-30 F4 (1.1 kg / 2.4 lb).. but since I cannot swing that much money at the moment I need a cheaper solution. So I looked into the Nikon AF-P 10-20 vs Nikon AF-S 10-24 which I can use with my D7500.

Can anyone share experience using those lenses? Which is recommended?

thanks in advance and have a great weekend ☀️

I have not used those two lenses. I used to use a Nikon 12-24 mm f4 on my DX bodies. Interestingly, while it was a DX lens, it would also cover the FX frame from about18-24 mm. It was a pretty good lens; well built. I traded it in when I got the 16-35 mm for use on an FX body.

Later when I was going on a trip to Galapagos with a DX kit (D500 and D7200), I wished I had kept the 12-24 mm f4. At that point, I decided to get a Tokina 11-16 mm f2.8 (forget which version). A sharp lens, but a bit on the big size, so might not meet you need for a smaller kit.

You might check Thom Hogan’s site. He has some comments/reviews on DX wide angle options.

I own that 10-20 DX, small, plastic and is light weight - feels almost toy-like. But man o man, mine is a winner with amazing sharpness. I'll never-ever sell it.
I use it usually on Infrared cameras, but have made a few images with the D500. Slight distortion, no c-a, darn good lens. Believe it

At that point, I decided to get a Tokina 11-16 mm f2.8 (forget which version). A sharp lens, but a bit on the big size, so might not meet you need for a smaller kit.

You might check Thom Hogan’s site. He has some comments/reviews on DX wide angle options.
I do have the Tokina 11-16 DX.. it is indeed almost as heavy and bulky as my 16-35 mm and suffers from heavy distortion, which is not automatically corrected being a 3rd party lens. It is sharp though.

thx for the tip, I’ll check out Thom’s website.

Have you considered the Nikkor 18-35mm AF-S? It's smaller, weighs less, and is sharper than the 16-35mm. It's my preferred wideangle lens for when I'm hiking.
I did.. 18 isn’t wide enough and my D850 is just too heavy, considering I have to carry a tripod and 3 L of water on longer hikes. So every gram counts. Hence the decision to go with the D7500 (300 grams lighter than D850).

Last edited:
Back