Nikon 100 to 400 poor focus issues

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

as an aside, the 100-400 is (generally speaking) super sharp and also has a very large amount of stabilization. i can't help think we're seeing some sort of focus, settings, or technique issue. esp. considering due to the way the mirrorless system focus, it seems unlikely to be a tuning issue.

another random thought is accidentally bumping the focus ring

Peter, have you had a chance to try another set of static test shots?

as an aside, the 100-400 is (generally speaking) super sharp and also has a very large amount of stabilization. i can't help think we're seeing some sort of focus, settings, or technique issue. esp. considering due to the way the mirrorless system focus, it seems unlikely to be a tuning issue.

another random thought is accidentally bumping the focus ring

Peter, have you had a chance to try another set of static test shots?
Not yet but I’m beginning to think I have a corrupted cf express card. I have one delkin black I use for stills and an xqd for video. When I forgot to put the delkin back in the raw files went to the xqd card and looked a whole lot better. ! Anyone have experience in this area?

our problem.
Not yet but I’m beginning to think I have a corrupted cf express card. I have one delkin black I use for stills and an xqd for video. When I forgot to put the delkin back in the raw files went to the xqd card and looked a whole lot better. ! Anyone have experience in this area?
I'm having a hard time understanding how a memory card can be responsibkle for poor focus—all it does is record 1s and 0s.

Again, knowing your shutter speed, aperture and ISO (other settings such as focus mode) will hlep better diagnose your problem.

There must be some other reason it got better. Coincidence or some setting or technique that changed in the meantime.

You have a $8,000 + investment in the Z9 & 100-400 that’s not meeting your expectations and you are asking if others are suffering from a lack of crispness and now you post it could be the Memory Card. How about you provide the Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO for the photo you posted. Otherwise how can others even start to provide worthy feedback to assist with a possible cause and ideas to help.

Turn VR off completely and see if it changes. Since the camera is mirrorless there should theoretically be no way for it to be soft unless something changes after the capture process starts. VR is one thing that can do that and focus mechanism is another. Not sure how you have your focus set up but if its BBF then focus on something static using the AF button on a tripod. Then switch the lens to manual focus and take the shot and see if its still soft. Anyway that should help you see if its something other than the lens being off and in need of adjustment.

I believe Thom Hogan stated in his review that the Z100-400mm lens does have an issue with the lens at 400mm. He suggested backing off from the max slightly to retain the sharpness. Don't have mine yet, so will have to see if that is true when I get my version.

A shutter speed that is OK for camera motion blur can be much too slow to prevent subject motion blur. Even with people standing still and talking I have found that 1/80s is the bare minimum shutter speed to avoid subject motion blur in the pictures. With birds and rodents it needs to be much faster.

I still have not gotten my Z9 ... but was out practicing with the Z6II and the Z100-400 the other day. From what I have seen so far the Z100-400 is more capable than the Z6II or me :) Here are some samples flying, flying and sitting with stuff in the way and static on water.
Z62_1348.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z62_1471.jpg
Z62_1508.jpg

Back