Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Very sharp! How easy are these to remove if needed, and would they leave a residue behind?
There is no residue at all. You can peel the stuff off very easily. I had topple a few pieces off because I had put them in the wrong place, and it just pulls right off.

Comparison to neoprene LensCoat covers:

LensCoat: more padded = better bump protection, 100x easier to apply and remove. Cons: smells like neoprene, can collect water underneath, pieces wear out/get stinky, can cover lens function buttons, adds bulk & girth to lens, could interfere with hood reversal

AlphaGvrd: less bulky, perfect fit, doesn't get frayed or worn, water proof. Cons: smells like scotch tape, no bump protection, can't be reused once removed.

Both protect the lens from incidental scratches and abrasions, the LensCoat just does it better; I'm not one to slam my gear into things, so I'm ok with less protection. The vinyl wraps are like using the bare lens + a scratch protection layer over top. To me, that's the nice thing about them, just having less bulk and a more tactile connection to the lens.

Anecdotal side-story: my wife uses a Canon RF 24-70. It's been her only lens for the past 2 years, and she doesn't give it any preferential treatment. No lens cover of any sort, and the thing is pristine. I often wonder if these covers are necessary, as I like using the lens without them, but I just know that as soon as I go naked, something dumb will happen that will make me regret it :sneaky:

I have up to date firmware on my Z8 and 9. Setting A15 controls the manual focus. It shows up on my other Z lenses but is not available (does not show, stops at a14) on my cameras... I wanna turn off the manual override! And this is likely causing many to think their lens is a tad soft, unknowing they move the manual ring slight.

I have up to date firmware on my Z8 and 9. Setting A15 controls the manual focus. It shows up on my other Z lenses but is not available (does not show, stops at a14) on my cameras... I wanna turn off the manual override! And this is likely causing many to think their lens is a tad soft, unknowing they move the manual ring slight.
It's a control ring on the 180-600. The solution would be to disable it.

There is no residue at all. You can peel the stuff off very easily. I had topple a few pieces off because I had put them in the wrong place, and it just pulls right off.

Comparison to neoprene LensCoat covers:

LensCoat: more padded = better bump protection, 100x easier to apply and remove. Cons: smells like neoprene, can collect water underneath, pieces wear out/get stinky, can cover lens function buttons, adds bulk & girth to lens, could interfere with hood reversal

AlphaGvrd: less bulky, perfect fit, doesn't get frayed or worn, water proof. Cons: smells like scotch tape, no bump protection, can't be reused once removed.

Both protect the lens from incidental scratches and abrasions, the LensCoat just does it better; I'm not one to slam my gear into things, so I'm ok with less protection. The vinyl wraps are like using the bare lens + a scratch protection layer over top. To me, that's the nice thing about them, just having less bulk and a more tactile connection to the lens.

Anecdotal side-story: my wife uses a Canon RF 24-70. It's been her only lens for the past 2 years, and she doesn't give it any preferential treatment. No lens cover of any sort, and the thing is pristine. I often wonder if these covers are necessary, as I like using the lens without them, but I just know that as soon as I go naked, something dumb will happen that will make me regret it :sneaky:
One beneficial facet of neoprene covers (I prefer outdoor UK’s version - thicker, better made), is I’ve cut back on padding in my backpacks and can fit more gear. Also, it protects better when bracing against a tree, rock, or other support structure.

Quick grab shot from the car, my nearest thing to a Golden Eagle, an English Buzzard lol.

buzzard.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Was sitting in the dentist's chair today having a crown so unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to test out the new lens. I've been sitting on pins and needles after reading so many complaints from users that the lens is not sharp wide open (or at all) or that it focuses slowly. Well, this afternoon, I had the opportunity to test it out with a couple friends of mine in late afternoon light on a cloudy day (so, higher ISO's). After about 100 shots, I was quite impressed! The 186 acquires the target quickly, follows accurately, and produces high quality images. Of the series of them running, jumping, or standing, almost all were in focus with perhaps 2-4% where the focus was not quite perfect. Is the AF as fast as the 400 f/4.5 or 800 f/6.3? No, but unless one was comparing it side by side, one would never know. Anyhow, apologies for the subject matter but here are a couple representative samples at different focal lengths. Say hi to the dynamic duo and no birds were harmed in the filming or production.

Attachments

• Cat 186test000.jpg
    Cat 186test000.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Cat 186test003.jpg
    Cat 186test003.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Cat 186test004.jpg
    Cat 186test004.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Cat 186test005.jpg
    Cat 186test005.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 90
Was sitting in the dentist's chair today having a crown so unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to test out the new lens. I've been sitting on pins and needles after reading so many complaints from users that the lens is not sharp wide open (or at all) or that it focuses slowly. Well, this afternoon, I had the opportunity to test it out with a couple friends of mine in late afternoon light on a cloudy day (so, higher ISO's). After about 100 shots, I was quite impressed! The 186 acquires the target quickly, follows accurately, and produces high quality images. Of the series of them running, jumping, or standing, almost all were in focus with perhaps 2-4% where the focus was not quite perfect. Is the AF as fast as the 400 f/4.5 or 800 f/6.3? No, but unless one was comparing it side by side, one would never know. Anyhow, apologies for the subject matter but here are a couple representative samples at different focal lengths. Say hi to the dynamic duo and no birds were harmed in the filming or production.
Ooooh sharp kitties! The lens delivers, a pleasant surprise when you get it in the field to see for yourself, right?! I’m still blown away by it, a zoom shouldn’t be this good!

Ooooh sharp kitties! The lens delivers, a pleasant surprise when you get it in the field to see for yourself, right?! I’m still blown away by it, a zoom shouldn’t be this good!
I would say that it is at least as sharp as my old Sony 200-600 and apparently sharper because of the VR. The zoom throw is fantastic and much easier to navigate than my bayonetting Canon 100-500. It is a heavy lens and though it is a tad lighter and more maneuverable than my 800 PF, it is still heavy.

There are a couple of caveats in all of this and while I haven't had the opportunity to really stress the lens, my early findings are on par with Steve's assessment and perhaps my copy might even be a bit better (he had a pre-production lens). These zooms perform best when the subject fills the frame and they are certainly susceptible to the effects of atmosphere. While my 800 PF images will withstand more cropping (no surprise there), I am very impressed with this versatile zoom for ~$1700 and anyone who understands the capabilities and limitations will likely be very pleased with the 186.

Yes, I've used these Outdoor Photography Gear covers on several telephotos. They are certainly better made than Lenscoat, blanket stitching on all edges
And they are more affordable.

Any idea on the quality compared to Lens coat?

The quality is excellent. I actually received the Nikon 600PF yesterday and together with Outdoor photography gear I helped in designing the cover for that lens as well. I actually received the cover today for the 600mm. I will add a picture a bit later

Ahh ok I should have added that I am due to take pictures for the Outdoor photography website for the 600PF cover. They should be added later this week but you can always email Outdoor photography gear in the meantime. Apologies

Any idea on the quality compared to Lens coat?
I like Outdoor Photography Gear's fit and finish better than lens coat. I've purchased many of them, but have stopped using the neoprene covers because I shoot in rain and snow and they get soaked. I just accept the fact that the barrels may take on scratches throughout the course of normal use.
bruce

I posted these on FM in a similarly titled thread.
The 180-600 is so versatile and allows for a lot of compositional flexibility.
Note... the compression structure on BCG is robbing a lot detail in that last portrait. The file I posted has much better detail that the web image suggests 😖
bruce
DoeAndLogBJL_7514-Edit.jpg
SymmetricBuck WoodsBJL_7474-Edit.jpg
SymmetricBuck PortraitBJL_7472-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Back