Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I posted these on FM in a similarly titled thread.
The 180-600 is so versatile and allows for a lot of compositional flexibility.
Note... the compression structure on BCG is robbing a lot detail in that last portrait. The file I posted has much better detail that the web image suggests 😖
bruce
View attachment 73930

Hence why I use IMGBB free version to link. Great shots though and thanks for sharing.

Was sitting in the dentist's chair today having a crown so unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to test out the new lens. I've been sitting on pins and needles after reading so many complaints from users that the lens is not sharp wide open (or at all) or that it focuses slowly. Well, this afternoon, I had the opportunity to test it out with a couple friends of mine in late afternoon light on a cloudy day (so, higher ISO's). After about 100 shots, I was quite impressed! The 186 acquires the target quickly, follows accurately, and produces high quality images. Of the series of them running, jumping, or standing, almost all were in focus with perhaps 2-4% where the focus was not quite perfect. Is the AF as fast as the 400 f/4.5 or 800 f/6.3? No, but unless one was comparing it side by side, one would never know. Anyhow, apologies for the subject matter but here are a couple representative samples at different focal lengths. Say hi to the dynamic duo and no birds were harmed in the filming or production.
Nice! You definitely showcase the capability of the lens. These are JPGs straight from the camera, and if so, what was the sharpening setting like?

I've been loving mine, and found it to be incredibly sharp, even with the 1.4x tc. I'm not going to claim these are the perfect shots for AF, if anyone wonders. Most of my shots in general are in really not ideal conditions early in the AM, or shooting into dark brush/trees.

View attachment 72618

View attachment 72619View attachment 72620
My question is, did you use D noise because on any of these photos that are above 2800 ISO my photos come out noisy

My question is, did you use D noise because on any of these photos that are above 2800 ISO my photos come out noisy
Yes. I use topaz denoise, but I've found it can't invent detail that isn't there. I've also found my z9 to be lower noise than people tend to think it will be, but ymmv.

Attached are bcg friendly exports without processing through dxo (some minor contrast/saturation changes made only, no sharpness either).

Z90_5705.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z90_5816.jpg
Z90_7557.jpg

I just received my Z8 back from Nikon. UPS driver brought it to the door and required signature. :) It's a terribly dark, rainy evening but I had to try it out with the 180-600. I'm impressed so far with the detail under these conditions at ISO 25600. The only thing done to these was conversion by NX Studio and resized with paint for the forum.
DSC_2288SM.jpg
DSC_2310SM.jpg

Last edited:
I am really loving the results from this lens. The combo is heavier, and a bit longer than my D500 & Tamron 150-600, but the keeper rate so far is impressive. There was good light today but it was cold & windy and I didn't find any unusual subjects so I took what was available on my short walk. The Mallard was in pretty dark shadow. 100% crops, no adjustments.
2494100%crop_13.JPG
2494100%crop_25.JPG
2494100%crop_27.JPG
2494100%crop_28.JPG

Nearly all the shots posted are of stationary subjects with the exception of the one of the kestrel in flight. How have people found the autofocus tracking to perform with bird ID and the Z9 with the 4.10 firmware?

Z62_0941.jpeg
Z62_0934.jpeg

This buck appeared near my office yesterday. I was able to get several shots of him. There was a doe nearby that he was very interested in. I was using a tripod.

I am truly enjoying my z6ii and this 180-600. Getting more familiar with both. After 40 years being away from photography, I am like a kid.

This lens is great. I can’t do it justice.

View attachment 74493View attachment 74494
This buck appeared near my office yesterday. I was able to get several shots of him. There was a doe nearby that he was very interested in. I was using a tripod.

I am truly enjoying my z6ii and this 180-600. Getting more familiar with both. After 40 years being away from photography, I am like a kid.

I so like your buck shots... because I too enjoy my z6ii but still waiting for my 186 coming.

Just picked up a Nikon Z8 to pair up with the Nikon 180-600mm 6.3. Took it for a test drive in my backyard and it looks promising. Heading to OBX tomorrow Ive heard there are many birds out there this time of the year. Be a good time to test out a few new lenses I picked up the last couple of weeks.

Nikon Z8
Nikon 180-600mm
F 6.3
Speed 1/1250
ISO 2000

Overcast/handheld
B1.jpg

Last edited:

You're clearly doing it justice. That can't be just a random buck that you ran into! Texas?

You're clearly doing it justice. That can't be just a random buck that you ran into! Texas?
Yes, I live in Texas. We have some land, and I built my office on it. We live here as well. Being outdoors is a passion of mine. The rut has started and the bucks are cruising. This buck was locked down with a doe for a couple days. Gave me the opportunity to get some photos.

And, thank you for the compliment.

What a handsome buck... So strange for me to see these animals near creosote bushes and prickly pear. The deer I photograph are always mingling in hardwood forests or prairies...
I just love the second photo!
bruce

Yes, I live in Texas. We have some land, and I built my office on it. We live here as well. Being outdoors is a passion of mine. The rut has started and the bucks are cruising. This buck was locked down with a doe for a couple days. Gave me the opportunity to get some photos.

And, thank you for the compliment.
I was an avid Whitetail hunter for many years, the last of which were in Montana. Loved hunting in the rut. I've seen many, but that's a beast! Texas is well known for massive bucks.

I've done my testing over the days/weeks, and I am going to declare that this lens is a winner - it's sharp, lighter and does the job for what I want it to do. It's every so slightly sharper at f7.1, but f6.3 is really acceptable. The picture attached here doesn't do the lens justice - I've had to convert the image size to post, but at the original size/resolution, it's mighty sharp. This was shot at 600mm, and hand held at f6.3 at 1/160. VR is amazing.

For the price of the lens and what it can deliver - this is a bargain!

Attachments

• DSC_9715bk.jpg
    DSC_9715bk.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 72
I've done my testing over the days/weeks, and I am going to declare that this lens is a winner - it's sharp, lighter and does the job for what I want it to do. It's every so slightly sharper at f7.1, but f6.3 is really acceptable. The picture attached here doesn't do the lens justice - I've had to convert the image size to post, but at the original size/resolution, it's mighty sharp. This was shot at 600mm, and hand held at f6.3 at 1/160. VR is amazing.

For the price of the lens and what it can deliver - this is a bargain!
Beautiful photo. I am really loving my 180-600.

Back