Nikon 180-600mm lens ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am beginning to smell that Nikon is starting to keep more copies to sell (ship) than distribute to dealers or local sellers to avoid losing profit to them. Just get suspicious to hear that now people can order from Nikon and get delivered after a few days while people who pre-ordered from dealers months ago are still waiting!
Even after being pleasantly surprised that my recent order is about to ship, I hope this is not the case. I would love to have a nearby dealer to buy from. I expected to wait for months. It really doesn’t make sense.

The photo in question that you took that I did not see much CA is 68954 taken with the 180-600.??

Rick would like your input comparing it to the 100-400.
After using the 180-600 for 4 days my impressions have been good, I have listed my good and bad points below and these are based on a preliminary viewing without stating the obvious benefits that a zoom has, however I will need to go through the images I have taken thoroughly.

My thoughts are Only compared to my 80-400mm AF/s G lens ( which I thought was a very fast focusing lens and probably faster than the 100-400 Z lens).

1. Sharper centre and especially edges.
2. Not as instant to initiate focus but still fast.
3. Tracks BIF just as well.
4. More CA on shinny bright backgrounds?! - No CA on normal images.
5. No fringing on tracked BIF images with VR ON (my 80-400 was terrible).
6. More contrast and color (may have to dial this down).
7. Much better VR
8. Balances well, Love the internal zooming of lens.
9. Aperture f6.3 at 600mm is sharper than I thought and don’t need to stop down to get ultimate sharpness (Impressive).
10. And can I say a joy to use despite being heavier.
I have not regretted my purchase at all.

I'm seriously thinking of just ordering directly from Nikon and scrapping my B&H order. But, I'm hearing of folks who ordered directly from Nikon in June and still waiting too. Something doesn't seem right here.
I ordered direct from Nikon Jun,11th. Today I cancelled my order.

When it comes to hot, new-release lens, I avoid B&H or Adorama, my local camera shops get the product much faster.

Oliver
Maybe yours does, but paying an extra 7.5% is peachy keen too. I bought my Z9 along with accompaniments from a local camera shop (next state over) for an extra $400+ was not great. Sure, I got everything but I could have gotten more rather than just giving it to some government agency (that didn't benefit me where I live). They kill us here in the US with taxes. On the 600PF I'd pay nearly $400 more in taxes if I went to our "not so local" camera shop.

Maybe yours does, but paying an extra 7.5% is peachy keen too. I bought my Z9 along with accompaniments from a local camera shop (next state over) for an extra $400+ was not great. Sure, I got everything but I could have gotten more rather than just giving it to some government agency (that didn't benefit me where I live). They kill us here in the US with taxes. On the 600PF I'd pay nearly $400 more in taxes if I went to our "not so local" camera shop.
You have my mind.

I spoke with my regional dealer today. Their original order covered the NPS and they have since received a secondary order of a few lenses. Previously, I was #20 on the list and after several cancellations and shipping out the few lenses they received, I'm now #10. It is unlikely that I will see the lens for another 2-3 months at this rate. :confused:

I spoke with my regional dealer today. Their original order covered the NPS and they have since received a secondary order of a few lenses. Previously, I was #20 on the list and after several cancellations and shipping out the few lenses they received, I'm now #10. It is unlikely that I will see the lens for another 2-3 months at this rate. :confused:
Yes, sadly this is becoming very disappointing to me as well. I didn't place my order right away, as my order was placed in July, but the wait seems a bit unreasonable to me. I ordered from a regional store where I have had very good results when I pre-ordered my Z9. When I last inquired as to status of my order and where I stand in line I was told all initial allocations they had received when to NPS people. They were not sure when their next shipment would arrive or how many units they would be receiving. I was told at that time I was 30th on their list! Well, that was over a month ago and havent heard squat from them since....☹️

I'm coming to two conclusions. 1, nikon really underestimated demand for this lens (somehow, which is a massive failure on their part) and 2, that nikon is happy to sell lenses first party and not ship them to stores

Based on serial number tracking, we're still under 10k made and shipped in 2 months since first ones shipped, plus whatever preproduction time they had (probably at least a month or two). That's awful.

I'm coming to two conclusions. 1, nikon really underestimated demand for this lens (somehow, which is a massive failure on their part) and 2, that nikon is happy to sell lenses first party and not ship them to stores

Based on serial number tracking, we're still under 10k made and shipped in 2 months since first ones shipped, plus whatever preproduction time they had (probably at least a month or two). That's awful.
You’re suggesting that there are some serious management deficiencies within Nikon and that might be the case. Sales, manufacturing, and senior management do not appear to be on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back