Nikon 200-600 Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

while there are incremental improvements in image quality, tbh, it’s amazing they were able to improve on the 70-200 2.8e. also, don’t forget the benefits of the syncro vr and the benefit of not needing the ftz
Your absolutely correct, and made excellent points, but for myself $4200 AUD (ouch) for a 70-200e lens that offers a fraction additional features with little difference optically has me thinking to invest the money into something else like 500 pf, selling the FL is going to be a real hit being FX.

Currently the 70-200 FL does all i want and need stunningly.............

I mostly shoot on average 3200 to 4000 ss or 160-250 hand held for still subjects......., 5 to 12 fps, i have given your well made suggestion careful thought.
I find the 70-200 FL, 105 1.4, 200 F2 is the best of the FX glass............i have also been on a sabbatical LOL for spending on camera gear, especially holding back completely on mirror less, lots happening in 2023........

I would like to see what the Z8 brings to the table and if the 200-600 has anything tangibly to get excited about as far as size and weight goes.

Only an opinion

As I'm sure others have said here, there'll be no F mount 200-600 (only Z). I just grabbed the 200-500 (on super-sale) to hold me over, I saw a lot of reviews of its excellent performance on Z bodies / FTZ. Even the non-Z9 bodies (my lane for now).

As I'm sure others have said here, there'll be no F mount 200-600 (only Z). I just grabbed the 200-500 (on super-sale) to hold me over, I saw a lot of reviews of its excellent performance on Z bodies / FTZ. Even the non-Z9 bodies (my lane for now).
Yup the 200-500 keeps delivering - time after time. The 200-600 will have to be very special for me to switch. I do a lot of Birds in flight - and seriously - I will need a ton of convincing. (previously used on D500 and D850, now on z9)

Tomorrow is the Z8 announcement and many of us are curious if they will announce the long awaited Z 200-600 (at least a development announcement if not a formal announcement). In my opinion (just one person's opinion) they need to because Sony has the stellar 200-600G and Canon has the stellar 100-500L but Nikon has nothing in this range. Though I am mostly a Nikon F shooter (two D850s), I bought a Sony for the 200-600 lens and at this point if I sell my F setup I would probably go all in with Sony because I am partway in and because they have the best lens lineup. If Nikon had already come out with their 200-600 I might go the other way but by delaying it so long they have lost (probably) me as a customer and I suspect others.

That would be great - nobody is hoping for the 200-600 more than I -- but I expect Nikon would want to focus entirely on the the Z8 tomorrow. Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

Reactions: Roy
Tomorrow is the Z8 announcement and many of us are curious if they will announce the long awaited Z 200-600 (at least a development announcement if not a formal announcement). In my opinion (just one person's opinion) they need to because Sony has the stellar 200-600G and Canon has the stellar 100-500L but Nikon has nothing in this range. Though I am mostly a Nikon F shooter (two D850s), I bought a Sony for the 200-600 lens and at this point if I sell my F setup I would probably go all in with Sony because I am partway in and because they have the best lens lineup. If Nikon had already come out with their 200-600 I might go the other way but by delaying it so long they have lost (probably) me as a customer and I suspect others.
Contrary to popular belief(though usually among non-Nikon shooters) f-mount lenses don't turn into pumpkins as soon as you buy a Z camera :rolleyes: I'm used to seeing Sony people ignore all of the f-mount lenses and tout the best lens lineup. As things stand right now the 200-600 is the only gap. Granted it's an important gap if that is the one and only lens someone is interested in. Also a good excuse to switch if your mind is already made up and don't want to be confused by the facts.:)

That said, the Sony 200-600 is the best super tele zoom lens I've ever used including the Nikon 200-400 VRii. So much so that I nearly bought an adapter rather than sell it. But I shoot too much BIF and it doesn't do as well adapted for that :(

Contrary to popular belief(though usually among non-Nikon shooters) f-mount lenses don't turn into pumpkins as soon as you buy a Z camera :rolleyes: I'm used to seeing Sony people ignore all of the f-mount lenses and tout the best lens lineup. As things stand right now the 200-600 is the only gap. Granted it's an important gap if that is the one and only lens someone is interested in. Also a good excuse to switch if your mind is already made up and don't want to be confused by the facts.:)

That said, the Sony 200-600 is the best super tele zoom lens I've ever used including the Nikon 200-400 VRii. So much so that I nearly bought an adapter rather than sell it. But I shoot too much BIF and it doesn't do as well adapted for that :(
I feel Nikon will when they release the 200-600 Z defiantly gouge on price and we as usual be happy to pay anything they ask, like Christmas we all chat on line as to what we want from Santa LOL.

The 200 -600 has a 3 .1 magnification ratio as apposed to the 200-500 2.5. As long as they stay under 4:1 i feel it will be ok, how ever 2.5:1 is excellent on a D6 D850 Z9.

Dear Santa, I have been very very good and therefore i would like .....LOL

The 200-600 may have advanced the VR or IS in the lens especially to compliment the needs for video.

The long throw for the zoom will be reduced, a bug bare in the 200-500 for some, hence i modified my 200-500 to become a push pull lens.
Maybe Nikon will surprise us with a push pull lens LOL.

I feel they may add a few different coatings to deal with CA etc and some elements building on the brilliant 200-500 optics, the edge to edge sharpness coming from the large LM and ID will be more suited to video and 3 D tracking. I mean its cheaper to increase the LD than make optics perfect corner to corner, i assume.

The F Stop, is anyone's guess, with the larger lens mount and throat diameter the lens will gather slightly more light allowing F5.6 to become F4.5 ?, personally i would make it F4.5 to F6.3 so they can charge more, have a point of difference as everyone will go nuts that its F4.5......................cashing, hence the price. If its a F5.6 to F6.3 hey its another all so round.

It would preferably be much shorter again to compliment video and tracking, and for many hopefully lighter, More a less a zoom version of the 400 F4.5 tapped out around F4.5 - F5.6 would be ideal.

Who knows whats in Santa's bag, i just hope they don't BS with supply, i mean its like watching The Bold and the Beautiful.
I think it will be made in China or hand in glove by Tamron.

There is the 200-500 next to the 500 PF, now there is the 400 F4.5 it will be next to a 200-600, the difference optically will be just that fraction more with a prime to get the higher price, clever Nikon, they know how to make margin and money to build new head offices LOL.

The 200-500 used properly can deliver excellent results, i mean i paid around the $900 USD when it was released, and it still delivers beautifully even on the Z9 at 20, 30, plus and focuses brilliantly, its not a 600 F4, but gee what a versatile beautiful tool.

I will leave out a glass of milk with a biscuit for you Santa........

Only an opinion

I will be interested in the 200-600mm whenever it arrives next year. The Nikon 200-500mm sells for roughly half the price of the Sony 200-600mm so there is a high price to be paid for the additional 100mm in focal length range. The Canon 100-500mm is a great zoom range but it is a very slow lens at f7.1 which means jacking up the ISO on the camera.

I am far more interested though in the arrival of the z-mount Sigma 60-600mm lens that will be great for creating videos of wildlife.

That would be great - nobody is hoping for the 200-600 more than I -- but I expect Nikon would want to focus entirely on the the Z8 tomorrow. Anyway, we'll know soon enough.
The Z8 may pull some of the DSLR owners across the line, but i feel it may even pull more mirror less owners over who are not scared of weight and cost moving from their Z6 Z7 series. I don't know if the Z6 or Z7 series was actually that large in sales to begin with or a even a major success, hence the Z8 being refined and 4th generation mirror less camera may be just whats needed. ie: Z6, Z7, Z6II Z7II, Z9, now Z8, it usually the 4th take that works well like the D850 did.

I feel that DSLR owners who haven't jumped into mirror less by now may be unlikely to, or not just yet, or if at all, why, there happy with what they have and rightly so, investing into all new glass is a big step.

If you can get hopefully a affordable camera that can do almost everything all models previously could do............... Hey is that the Z8, I mean the D850 came close or for so many is the best all round do everything well camera.

Hogan said, "after using a Z9 you will find it hard to go back to or want to use any other Nikon mirror less camera " at least that's what i understood, hopefully correctly.

On that, could the Z8 change that.

Nikon are clever offering a taste of the drilled down Ferrari like car in the hope you upgrade from your Prius. Again I think we will see more mirror less buyers jumping on the Z8 than DSLR owners ?

Remember the margins, money, unit volume is in the glass, the greater the range the more will be sold, they just need to wet your whistle a little and your done.

I feel Price point will be a real factor that will make or break things more than we imagined, i could be completely wrong here.

Weight and size is often not a major issue for wild life sports action shooters.

The Z8 version sounds impressive, indicating to me that performance and specs will only go higher in the near future for the industry, i mean there is so much more to come and we will see the start of it in the R1 A1 II and the Z9 II, its logical to leap frog, that's how it works.

Missing.........something just under the Z8 small light like a new premium Z7II travel landscape camera, not everyone is into sports or wild life, or could that be the Z8........

or a Z7 II Z6II, who knows.

One thing i know is there are a lot of serious enthusiasts still out there not even remotely interested in mirror less, their results speak for them selves, also they seem to have great creative editing skills in PS LR etc.

Here is to tomorrow, what ever it may bring.

Do what you love, love what you do.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
The Z8 may pull some of the DSLR owners across the line, but i feel it may even pull more mirror less owners over who are not scared of weight and cost moving from their Z6 Z7 series. I don't know if the Z6 or Z7 series was actually that large in sales to begin with or a even a major success, hence the Z8 being refined and 4th generation mirror less camera may be just whats needed. ie: Z6, Z7, Z6II Z7II, Z9, now Z8, it usually the 4th take that works well like the D850 did.

I feel that DSLR owners who haven't jumped into mirror less by now may be unlikely to, or just yet, or if at all, why, there happy with what they have and rightly so, investing into all new glass is a big step.

I mean if you can get hopefully a affordable camera that can do almost everything all models previously could do............... Hey is that the Z8, I mean the D850 came close or for so many is the best all round do everything well camera.

Hogan said, "after using a Z9 you will find it hard to go back to or want to use any other Nikon mirror less camera " at least that's what i understood, hopefully correctly.

On that, could the Z8 change that.

Nikon are clever offering a taste of the drilled down Ferrari like car in the hope you upgrade from your Prius. Again I think we will see more mirror less buyers jumping on the Z8 than DSLR owners.

Remember the margins, money, unit volume is in the glass, the greater the range the more will be sold, they just need to wet your whistle a little and your done.

I feel Price point will be a real factor that will make or break things more than we imagined, i could be completely wrong here.

Weight and size is often not a major issue for wild life sports action shooters.

The Z8 version sounds impressive, indicating to me that performance and specs will only go higher in the near future for the industry, i mean there is so much more to come and we will see the start of it in the R1 A1 II and the Z9 II, its logical to leap frog, that's how it works.

Missing.........something just under the Z8 small light like a new premium Z7II travel landscape camera, not everyone is into sports or wild life, i mean could that be the Z8........

or a Z7 II Z6II.who knows.

One thing i know is there are a lot of serious enthusiasts still out there not even remotely interested in mirror less, their results speak for them selves, also they seem to have great creative editing skills in PS LR etc.

Here is tomorrow, what ever it may bring.

Do what you love, love what you do.

Only an opinion
What do those two things have to do with one another?

I will be interested in the 200-600mm whenever it arrives next year. The Nikon 200-500mm sells for roughly half the price of the Sony 200-600mm so there is a high price to be paid for the additional 100mm in focal length range. The Canon 100-500mm is a great zoom range but it is a very slow lens at f7.1 which means jacking up the ISO on the camera.

I am far more interested though in the arrival of the z-mount Sigma 60-600mm lens that will be great for creating videos of wildlife.
The 200-600 is very promising considering the fantastic value of the 200-500.
Im hoping the AF speed is improved but thats not critical considering the price.
I dont expect it to AF at pro level speeds 🦘

and accounting for inflation the past few years
No, just stick it to us where ever possible because they can if they wish........that's the way of the world, everything else is an excuse.

Industry monitors internet chat, social media, forums, especially dropping roomers teasers measuring responses, that information is pooled analyzed and then marketing an management determines the strategy, presentation, and how much spin is needed as to what they can get a way all helps with setting a price point.
I mean they could make the z8 so cheap if they want to, but unlikely...........

With the industry in decline, unit volumes down, margins need to increase, raising prices is just one mechanism evident of its use if the industry is aligned, but you have to give the customer a benefit, a point of difference, if its not at least give the perception that its better than it actually is, its called marketing.

Its all standard operational business practice.

In the past before the internet we used marketing consultant to do research often costly, today we have it all as an open book, its called forums, social media, its the wholly grail of feed back, knowing whats trending now.

The 200-500 came out at a low price, as they needed to peel lens sales away from the 150-600 market, over time the prices ramped up, it was what is known as a market share grab.

Remember where demand seems keen and high, on the back of limited supply due to overwhelming demand beyond expectations Yada Yada things are priced accordingly and vice versa.

May be the price will be like the 200-500 was LOW to start with, Maybe the same thing will be the case with the Z8 being low initially to get traction, who knows.

Only an opinion

Back