Nikon 200-600 Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I too think this lens will come out close to the release of a new body with better AF, in a price range that goes along with the lens price/market. Like a Z6III or, let's dream, a mirrorless D500/APS-C Z9
i would not be surprised to see a big announcement with the 200-600 plus a z6iii (MS), z7iii (MS) and stacked sensor d500 replacement. maybe that's just the glass-half-full in me coming out! :-D

i would not be surprised to see a big announcement with the 200-600 plus a z6iii (MS), z7iii (MS) and stacked sensor d500 replacement.
note sure what (MS) means

I don't think all 3 will be announced at once. My guess, totally no knowledge, so this POOMA (Pull Out Of My A**) is that there will be new APS-C camera that is not a mini-Z9. Right now you can run the Z9 in crop mode to get a DX format image. The reduced price for a APS-C Z9 camera would significantly cut into the Nikon margins and not sure if the volume would make up for the volume.

note sure what (MS) means

manual shutter. i don't expect stacked sensors for the z6iii and z7iii this time around. basically think r6 and r5.

i just think building stacked sensors are a huge investment in time and resources and i don't see them going through that effort for their midline cameras this time around. i expect these cameras to use off-the-shelf sensors.

it seems to me if you're going to go through the effort of building a stacked sensor, you're going to be looking forward to the next generation. i think a dx stacked shutter is a possibility as i think a dx z9 in a midsized body would be super popular.

that said, i do expect the cameras after that to be mostly stacked sensors. it's clearly where they are going.

i also think the more MP, the larger the task to build a stacked sensor. ie, i think making a dx version of the z9 sensor is much easier than making a stacked sensor that's more MP than the existing z9 sensor.

but i'd happily upgrade my z6ii for a z6iii with manual shutter/non-stacked sensor if it has the processor and af from the z9.

and imo, even without stacked sensors, i think a z6iii and z7iii with z9 processor and af logic these cameras would make great wildlife (and whatever) cameras and would pair well to a 200-600

i don't think it's that huge of a stretch. if they don't try to build a stacked sensor for the z6iii and z7iii, it's "just" integration of developed parts.

the 200-600 development likely has been going on for a long time, and i think they are looking to time it with the release of a body(s). if it's not ready, it's almost ready.

clearly that's enough for a big announcement, but for whatever reason, i feel like it makes sense to build a DX stacked sensor based on the density of the Z9 sensor, i think it's easier than building a 60MP stacked sensor by far. and it does seem like a d500 replacement would ALSO be a good pair with the 200-600.

but yah, maybe i'm too half-full :ROFLMAO:

Just because if can be done,, does not mean it will have sufficient IQ. Anyone who opts for a 60-600 lens probably is not very concerned by IQ and if a photographer is concerned about IQ, unless the 60-600 is much better than expected, I don't think many serious photographers will buy it.

Just my $0.02, now worthless with inflation.
The non-serious photographer market is bigger than the serious photographer market.

The profit margin for Nikon is higher on the exotic Gold Ring and S Line telephotos, and pro's and hobbyists tend to buy more than 1 model - eg 400 TC and 600 TC, or 100-400 S and 800 PF
As discussed many times, in their recent IR Report, Nikon has stated its plans to "deploy advanced features from the Z9 across the line up..." slide refers. The key features of Z9 AF, with high speed EVF, electronic shutter etc not only demand EXPEED7 but primarily a Stacked-sensor.

Such a smaller DX Stacked-sensor should cost less/unit and should get higher Yields / silicon wafer, lower incidence of manufacturing errors etc This is likely key to produce a more affordable high-end Pro DX MILC : using the EXPEED7 and Z9 tech, including software; thus, getting more returns on the R&D invested into the Z9 flagship.
Being affordable, it will be almost essential to pair with the 200-600, for "budget" hobbyist aka Amateur market, many of whom will find a 100-400 S too costly let slone the S Line telephoto primes.

Over the past month, or so, many more Z9's have been shipping. Such that at least some of Nikon regions - eg S Africa - now have sufficient unit allocations to offer a season special on the camera, which would have been impossible to imagine a few months earlier.

manual shutter. i don't expect stacked sensors for the z6iii and z7iii this time around. basically think r6 and r5.

i just think building stacked sensors are a huge investment in time and resources and i don't see them going through that effort for their midline cameras this time around. i expect these cameras to use off-the-shelf sensors.

it seems to me if you're going to go through the effort of building a stacked sensor, you're going to be looking forward to the next generation. i think a dx stacked shutter is a possibility as i think a dx z9 in a midsized body would be super popular.

that said, i do expect the cameras after that to be mostly stacked sensors. it's clearly where they are going.

i also think the more MP, the larger the task to build a stacked sensor. ie, i think making a dx version of the z9 sensor is much easier than making a stacked sensor that's more MP than the existing z9 sensor.

but i'd happily upgrade my z6ii for a z6iii with manual shutter/non-stacked sensor if it has the processor and af from the z9.

and imo, even without stacked sensors, i think a z6iii and z7iii with z9 processor and af logic these cameras would make great wildlife (and whatever) cameras and would pair well to a 200-600
You don't have to look too far to figure out the sensor. It'll be a 26.1 APS-C BSI CMOS paired with a fast processor. Just like the forthcoming A7000. There is a thought that there is also a cheaper 24 conventional sensor coming out, but I don't think Nikon will use that one.

The sensors of the last 2-3 years are absolutely amazing. With BSI and stacking Sony figured out how to supress cross-pixel talk and get us a dense sensor with very little noise. I don't think we'll ever see a pro-level stills camera with less then 25mp again and I see a resurgence of APS-C.

Just because if can be done,, does not mean it will have sufficient IQ. Anyone who opts for a 60-600 lens probably is not very concerned by IQ and if a photographer is concerned about IQ, unless the 60-600 is much better than expected, I don't think many serious photographers will buy it.

Just my $0.02, now worthless with inflation.
For photography maybe not, but that 60-600 is one of the go to lenses for wildlife filmmaking. If they're both released around the same time and price I'd have a hard time choosing the nikon 200-600 over it for my uses

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously, but are there any details about the planned Nikon 200-600 lens - release date, speed, Z or F-mount, cost? I checked the usual spots (e.g. Nikon Rumors) for information but couldn’t find much, so I figured some of you with better connections than me might know something.
Even if Nikon announce the new 200-600mm lens early next year going by the wait for all previous new Nikon lenses, will we even see it land on our doorsteps in 2023?
I think the 200-600 will be an extremely popular lens with Nikon wildlife shooters, but just wonder if peoples patience will run out & they start to look at other options & or manufacturers?

i think the concern is can Nikon make big glass at sufficient volume to participate in the market. even if they announce it in Feb, my guess is you'd have to wait until late 2024 to buy this lens.

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously, but are there any details about the planned Nikon 200-600 lens - release date, speed, Z or F-mount, cost? I checked the usual spots (e.g. Nikon Rumors) for information but couldn’t find much, so I figured some of you with better connections than me might know something.
Although on the Z roadmap for ages there still is little to no new news.
Looks like a Z mount version of the 200-500mm AFS F lens.
If so it will be an inexpensive bargain.
I can live with it if its external focusing.
Although there is a concern that it may be variable aperture...🦘

What I've always thought that was and is curious (to me at least) is why does Nikon say that the 200-600 will be a non-S lens? Nikon produced a Z 100-400 zoom that's an S lens. So, why does a 200-600 zoom have to be a NON-S lens when it's brand 'zoom sibling' is an S lens? One would think that a prospective 200-600 customer would love an S version even if it max aperture at 600mm is 6.3 and be a tad more expensive but with S line attributes. Just sayin' ...

Last edited:
My fiirst long focal length lens was a Sigma 50-500 on a Nikon D300s. I still have very good images from that combo hanging on my and others walls.

Back in my D500, D850 and D6 days I had a Sigma 60-600 sport f mount and it was an amazingly good lens IQ wise. Very Heavy. It was my back up to my Tamron 150-600 G2.

My dream birding lens was always a 600 f/4E ... and when Nikon USA suddenly had a refurb. available at a significant discount from new and a 10% off sale on refurb lens I pulled the trigger.

The Sigma 60-600 sport became surplus and I sold it and kept the lighter and great performing Tamron 150-600 G2 which was probably the best lens for the $ I ever had.

Z 200-600 or an equivalent from Tamron or Sigma is the only variable focal length lens I am waiting for to fill in the gap between Z70-200, Z100-400, Z400 f/4.5 and Z800PF.

i would look to the sony 200-600 to get a feel for what to expect. guessing early next year
Clever assumption, i think it will be like/slimier/ slightly better than the 200-500 with some of the Z glass attributes, just 100mm longer.
Its staying under 4-1 magnification ratio, remember its got to be good for video as well.
The negative will be the price........as the online chatter is telling Nikon everyone wants it.

Only an opinion

What I've always thought that was and is curious (to me at least) is why does Nikon say that the 200-600 will be a non-S lens? Nikon produced a Z 100-400 zoom that's an S lens. So, why does a 200-600 zoom have to be a NON-S lens when it's brand 'zoom sibling' is an S lens? One would think that a prospective 200-600 customer would love an S version even if it max aperture at 600mm is 6.3 and be a tad more expensive but with S line attributes. Just sayin' ...
I think they originally conceptualized the lens as a bargain option, more like the 24-200 than the 70-200. If they held true to the original concept, I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t have function buttons or a memory set button. Neither will it have the best coatings.

Well, the Z Roadmap is subject to changes, eg a 24-105 became the 24-120 f4S. Perhaps the design has been reconsidered, and even to upgrade the 200-600 to a S Line standard.

If a Z mount Bigma rumour is indeed true for 2023, and comes to be judged superior to the 200-600 Nikkor.... Well.....Nikon must recognize this risk already.

I hope it'll be a real contender to the sony 200-600 be it in price, quality and form factor. I'd rather have it around 2k and be a lens i want to hold onto than it be cheap and feel that it's lacking here and there. Naturally if it can be both on the cheap side and outstanding... Nah. Can't be!

Back