Nikon 600 PF Test: Sharpness, Bokeh, AF Speed, VR, Focus Breathing & More

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Right on, the 400 is so small it’s easy to assume it’s a PF 😉

Bare 400 vs. 600PF is close, both are razor sharp. 600 is leagues better compared to the 400 + 1.4TC. I should have my 600 back early next week, and will def be running comparisons b/w it and my new 400.
So, what happened to your 600 to where you're expecting it back??

I’m not sure I would say the 600pf bare is way better than the 400 4.5 with the 1.4tc. I have used this combo with good effect especially at f8. However the 600pf to me is better especially wide open at 6.3. Also the contrast is richer which may allow for better AF. I had no problems with AF using the 400 4.5 with both TCs and for those on a budget, this lens with both TCs can get the job done. I used it last year at Bosque and found even the 2x did a good job in good light. The thing to remember is the 400 4.5 is not at its best wide open like the 600pf so this has a negative impact on TC use.

I’m not sure I would say the 600pf bare is way better than the 400 4.5 with the 1.4tc. I have used this combo with good effect especially at f8. However the 600pf to me is better especially wide open at 6.3. Also the contrast is richer which may allow for better AF. I had no problems with AF using the 400 4.5 with both TCs and for those on a budget, this lens with both TCs can get the job done. I used it last year at Bosque and found even the 2x did a good job in good light. The thing to remember is the 400 4.5 is not at its best wide open like the 600pf so this has a negative impact on TC use.
Agree. Slight difference pixel peeping…maybe…but essentially none at output resolution on screen.

So, what happened to your 600 to where you're expecting it back??
Spent a fantastic morning on Ft. DeSoto beach last month, and somewhere along the way got a little bit of sand under the focusing ring 😖 Good news is that my 600PF is slated to be delivered tomorrow, so just under 4 weeks from door to door, and just in time for my yearly birding+camping trip (starting tomorrow as well).

Best believe I'll be pitting the 600PF against my recently reacquired 400 4.5 + 1.4TC, but my intention when re-buying the lens isn't to use it with the 1.4TC, so the testing will be merely for curiosity sake 😌 Going forward, 400/600 will be my lightweight birding kit. It's been real fun, but I'm over the heavy stuff.

Last edited:
This lens works for me. I did consider the 180-600mm but it is a bit heavier than I like as I hike and handhold. The 600pf is very sharp and very quick to AF. The 1.4tc works well considering hand holding 840mm can be a challenge. It would be nice for closer minimum focus and I can easily replace the tripod foot. I do not understand why the big three are so resistant to arca Swiss tripod feet. Must be something to do with patents?

I’m remember reading here that Acra doesn’t have a set in stone standard in regards to tolerance guidelines.

That doesn’t answer the mysterious question though

There is indeed no engineering standard for Arca-Swiss, and ArcaSwiss itself doesn't spell out its spec's despite claiming a patent (likely expired). The plates and tripod feet etc all differ between prominent brands: Acratech, RRS, Jobu, Gimpro, Benro, PeakDesign, Leofoto, Sirui, Smallrig. This applies not only to the width, height, and other critical dimensions, but as critically the bevel angles of the dovetail and its "bluntness".

Which "version" should CaSoNikon follow?

The screw clamp models can accommodate funky angles and/or incorrect widths on plates but lever release clamps cannot.
Example: The original Wimberley Sidekick was not machined to a tight enough tolerance and Wimberley released a plate specifically to accommodate RRS lever release clamps.
Personally, I use nothing but Kirk or RRS (mostly Kirk nowadays) as there are no incompatibilities between these two suppliers.

The screw clamp models can accommodate funky angles and/or incorrect widths on plates but lever release clamps cannot.
Example: The original Wimberley Sidekick was not machined to a tight enough tolerance and Wimberley released a plate specifically to accommodate RRS lever release clamps.
Personally, I use nothing but Kirk or RRS (mostly Kirk nowadays) as there are no incompatibilities between these two suppliers.

I match (same manufacturer) plates and heads. Mostly RRS.

Maybe it’s time to set a standard?
Who was responsible for setting ISO, CIPA, etc.
Heinz did set a standard for ketchup
Coca Cola did set a standard for coke
For me is Arca Swiss, as inventor of the AS dovetail, the standard or benchmark for other brands.
Having said that, I mix Wimberley, Hejnar, RRS, Kirk, Leofoto, ... and found no issue so far with one being incompatible with another.
An article from RRS:

And the open RRS standard:

And a nice article from Photography Life:

Thanks - added in new post in the A-S Thread

Heinz did set a standard for ketchup
Coca Cola did set a standard for coke
For me is Arca Swiss, as inventor of the AS dovetail, the standard or benchmark for other brands.
Having said that, I mix Wimberley, Hejnar, RRS, Kirk, Leofoto, ... and found no issue so far with one being incompatible with another.
An article from RRS:

And the open RRS standard:

And a nice article from Photography Life:

There is indeed no engineering standard for Arca-Swiss, and ArcaSwiss itself doesn't spell out its spec's despite claiming a patent (likely expired). The plates and tripod feet etc all differ between prominent brands: Acratech, RRS, Jobu, Gimpro, Benro, PeakDesign, Leofoto, Sirui, Smallrig. This applies not only to the width, height, and other critical dimensions, but as critically the bevel angles of the dovetail and its "bluntness".

Which "version" should CaSoNikon follow?

Yes, I agree. I know for certain that Sirui plates allow the clamp's jaws to get a deeper bite than the Kirk plates. And Sirui clamps work with Kirk plates but the clamp is not holding on to as much metal as it does with a Sirui plate.

I'd like some evaluation of the 600PF using it with the new Nikon Z6iii and/of the Zf. It seems like most of you are using Z7/8/9 when talking about this lens. Would you expect similar image quality with the 2 cameras mentioned ? I am new to the Z line, having relied happily on D500 and 500PF for years. I have much to learn! Thanks!

I'd like some evaluation of the 600PF using it with the new Nikon Z6iii and/of the Zf. It seems like most of you are using Z7/8/9 when talking about this lens. Would you expect similar image quality with the 2 cameras mentioned ? I am new to the Z line, having relied happily on D500 and 500PF for years. I have much to learn! Thanks!
I have the Z8 and the Zf, for wildlife I would for sure pick the Z6iii. Image quality will be better on the Z6iii for fast action with the fast sensor for cutting way down on any rolling shutter impacts which the Zf has when using its faster electronic shutter framerates. You’re basically capped at 14 FPS or less on the Zf in mechanical for BIF without risking rolling shutter and it’s much harder to pan with the shutter blackout through the viewfinder which will be much reduced at 20 FPS on the Z6iii in comparison.

I can’t speak for the 600 PF directly, just the lenses I’ve used on both of the bodies I have. I have seen no difference in lens performance going back and forth, just in how the shutter speed and EVF behaive as well as the differences in AF (Z8 being stickier).

The Zf is still a fast shooting camera but the Z6iii takes it up a pretty good notch for action.

Thanks for those insights. I have both Zf and Z6ii. Probably would not bought the ZF if i knew the Z6iii was coming out, but it's a fun camera for casual shots...i.e. not BIF ...but OK for more static birds. I bought the 600PF with Nikon's finance plan, but there are few birds around here to try it on at present. I was shocked at how far away I had to be to get a bird near home in focus! Will love it in the spring, I hope. Just still wondering if a I should have gone for a full frame camera with this lens. Weight, however , and cost, are important factors...especially additional cost at this point.

I think both these cameras are full frame. The z6 series is less mps than the z8-9. For me that’s a deal breaker. I want hi density so I have z8s. For wildlife getting a big enough image is always a concern and you get much more ability to crop in with 46mp vs 24. The 600pf close focus is 13ft and so not good for small close subjects. The 400f4.5 is around 8ft with or without the TC. When shooting in my bird sanctuary in my back yard at distances of 20 feet or so I often prefer the 400mm lens. Sometimes with the 1,4tc. The 600pf is still sharper though and I do sometimes use it instead. I find I can get a bit more feather detail with the 600pf but close it is harder to get the whole bird in focus. Both lenses are great. I’m thinking of setting up a tripod for backyard use to get closer to what the true capabilities of the lenses offer but still handhold when out in the field.

Just still wondering if a I should have gone for a full frame camera with this lens. Weight, however , and cost, are important factors...especially additional cost at this point.
The Zf and Z6II are full frame cameras. I found that the Zf wasn’t comfortable with long lenses, but others disagree. It’s a matter of what works for you.

As @macwalter said, minimum focus distance for the 600PF is approx 13 ft. It’s not meant for subjects close to you. Keep practicing with it and I suspect you’ll adjust to that quite well. 🙂

Ah...yes, sorry I meant to say I might have wanted more megapixels. I know my cameras are full frame.( I have a D850-photos take up a lot of space on my hard drive, so maybe I'm better off with the Z6iii.) That said, I never had much trouble cropping photos from the D500.
I will start practicing with the 600 on anything I can find. Thanks all, for your thoughts for a newbie to mirrorless cameras and lenses.

Back