Nikon 600PF - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You all are touching on the same subject I continue mulling over in my head: I know I could get along with just the 600PF (and 1.4TC) from here on out, is the 800PF still worth keeping? Armchair QB'ing the question is easy when I'm stuck inside during the winter, but I 100% know that when Spring Migration rolls around and Warblers are plentiful, the 800 will be indispensable, and I'd regret selling it. Part of me wants to sell, yet my rational side disagrees and tells me to wait until after I've shot both during the best/busiest time of year coming up here in April/May. The 1-stop advantage of the 800PF vs. the 600PF + TC is huge once forest canopies return and there's a lot of shadows.

Last May, I did a 4-day solo camping trip and did nothing but shoot birds (mostly Warblers) from sunrise to sunset. It was heaven. Birding uninterrupted for days on end really let me dig into my gear and see how it performed from constant use, side-by-side, in a myriad of conditions. At the time I had the Z9, 800PF and 400 4.5, and the three main take-aways from that trip were that I always too short with the 400, the MFD and tight FOV of the 800PF was an hindrance in the leafy forest environment, and constantly switching lenses is a huge distraction/disadvantage/liability. I also came back with some major tennis elbow that still aches to this day.

I've booked the same trip again this year, and this time around it'll be a shootout to see if the 600PF can strike the Goldilocks role b/w the 400 and 800. However, that trip had me crying out for a versatile zoom in order to cut down on the lens swaps, so my 180-600 may absolutely steal the show from any primes I choose to take. That, or getting a second camera body may be beneficial, so I'm presently debating another Z8.

You all are touching on the same subject I continue mulling over in my head: I know I could get along with just the 600PF (and 1.4TC) from here on out, is the 800PF still worth keeping? Armchair QB'ing the question is easy when I'm stuck inside during the winter, but I 100% know that when Spring Migration rolls around and Warblers are plentiful, the 800 will be indispensable, and I'd regret selling it. Part of me wants to sell, yet my rational side disagrees and tells me to wait until after I've shot both during the best/busiest time of year coming up here in April/May. The 1-stop advantage of the 800PF vs. the 600PF + TC is huge once forest canopies return and there's a lot of shadows.

Last May, I did a 4-day solo camping trip and did nothing but shoot birds (mostly Warblers) from sunrise to sunset. It was heaven. Birding uninterrupted for days on end really let me dig into my gear and see how it performed from constant use, side-by-side, in a myriad of conditions. At the time I had the Z9, 800PF and 400 4.5, and the three main take-aways from that trip were that I always too short with the 400, the MFD and tight FOV of the 800PF was an hindrance in the leafy forest environment, and constantly switching lenses is a huge distraction/disadvantage/liability. I also came back with some major tennis elbow that still aches to this day.

I've booked the same trip again this year, and this time around it'll be a shootout to see if the 600PF can strike the Goldilocks role b/w the 400 and 800. However, that trip had me crying out for a versatile zoom in order to cut down on the lens swaps, so my 180-600 may absolutely steal the show from any primes I choose to take. That, or getting a second camera body may be beneficial, so I'm presently debating another Z8.
My suggestions, get a second body and hang the 180-600 on one, and the 600 pf on the other. You'll be good to go! If you don't mind me asking ... where did you do the solo camping / trip to which you refer? And another question, have you ever shot warblers at Magee Marsh? It's on my list, and I imagine the 600 would be the perfect lens for that venue.

My suggestions, get a second body and hang the 180-600 on one, and the 600 pf on the other. You'll be good to go! If you don't mind me asking ... where did you do the solo camping / trip to which you refer? And another question, have you ever shot warblers at Magee Marsh? It's on my list, and I imagine the 600 would be the perfect lens for that venue.
Camping trip was here in Wisconsin at Wyalusing State Park, which sits at the confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers. It's a birding paradise, with perfect weather in May. Major drawback last year though was that the rivers had flooded after winter snow melt, and it caused the gnat population to explode... I had to wear a face net the entire time because no bug repellant worked against them. Swarms of them flying in your eyes, down your shirt, crawling on any exposed skin. Luckily they didn't bite, and after a day or so I had built up enough discipline to be able to endure them constantly crawling on me while I remained still so as to not scare away the birds 😳 Hopefully this year isn't as bad.

Second body I think is the way. I was debating getting another 400 4.5 to play side-kick to the 600PF, but another Z8 would be a better overall benefit to my shooting. Gah... too much gear 😩

Have never shot at Magee, it's certainly a dream destination for me. I would like to see how near the trees are to the boardwalk and how close the birds come, but yeah, the 600PF seems like a great lens for it.

The 180-600 is the solution to a lot of needs though: better versatility, shorter MFD, reduced lens swapping. I'm afraid that is the conclusion I'm going to end up drawing by the end of the year. It's like choosing between driving your sports car vs. Camry to work... sports car is much more fun, but the Camry just makes more sense.

Thank you, Tom. I agree totally, the 800 is not a lens for traveling on a motorcycle. I now wonder if I should sell the 400 f4.5? I'll keep that 800 though because when driving and when you can use a tripod if you wish, that lens is awesome. I know this is a 600 thread, but I'll sneak an 800 image in here. This is another from Bosque, and was handheld at a relatively slow shutter speed. I was shooting 'static' cranes that were on the ground when I got a fly-over. This image is not cropped. So for me, as I mentioned the real question is what to do with the 400. I suppose I could get a 3rd camera body, maybe a second Z8! :ROFLMAO:. Thanks again for taking a look at my photos and for your comment.

Best,
mark
View attachment 82199
Which such a slow shutter speed, how in incognito were you able to get sharp eyeballs?

Which such a slow shutter speed, how in incognito were you able to get sharp eyeballs?
Joel, I have been working on my panning/BIF a lot, and I am getting better. There are thousands of shots that are not sharp, ha. I attribute the sharpness to IBIS with this body + lens combo. For shooting birds when I am not focused on BIF, I now tend to use much slower shutter speeds than I did with my D500 or D850.

Best,
mark

I have two bodies and use the 600 on one and the 100-400 on the other. Works good for me. The 100-400 is nice in case anything is close up. I did try the 180-600 but found it too heavy and sold it right away. I'm spoiled after using the 500PF for so long and now the 600PF.

I have two bodies and use the 600 on one and the 100-400 on the other. Works good for me. The 100-400 is nice in case anything is close up. I did try the 180-600 but found it too heavy and sold it right away. I'm spoiled after using the 500PF for so long and now the 600PF.
I have the Z8 and the Z9. The Z9 has my 600PF with or without the 1.4x tc, depending on situation. The Z8 has my 100-400 and occasionally the 24-120, again depending on situation. Right now, this is working real well for me.

I have the Z8 and the Z9. The Z9 has my 600PF with or without the 1.4x tc, depending on situation. The Z8 has my 100-400 and occasionally the 24-120, again depending on situation. Right now, this is working real well for me.
I first bought the Z9, used it for a year. When the 8 came out I bought it and liked it so much I bought a second one. I just sold my Z9. It was simply too heavy for me. Great camera, just too heavy and bulky for me. I have not yet used my TC with the 600, I need to experiment with it.

That very same 180-600 is doing very well here at its new home, Connie ;) As great as it is, and it's very good, I enjoy using the 600PF a little more.

600PF + 100-400 would make for a nice, light combo. Too bad I sold my 100-400 once the 186 arrived. At some point I'll probably get either the 400 4.5 or 100-400 again to use w/ the 600.

Another body is probably the first purchase though, it solves so many irritations, and could potentially influence what lenses I use more often.

That very same 180-600 is doing very well here at its new home, Connie ;) As great as it is, and it's very good, I enjoy using the 600PF a little more.

600PF + 100-400 would make for a nice, light combo. Too bad I sold my 100-400 once the 186 arrived. At some point I'll probably get either the 400 4.5 or 100-400 again to use w/ the 600.

Another body is probably the first purchase though, it solves so many irritations, and could potentially influence what lenses I use more often.
So glad you are enjoying it. I'm really happy with the 600PF and the 100-400, it's a good combo for me. Happy I could make someone else's day, yours, with the 180-600! I really like having both bodies the same, that's a first for me. In the past it was maybe the D500 and the D850, so close, but not quite the same. Enjoy your lens!

Well, I just ordered my 600 PF from the Nikon store. Should ship 2nd Day Air tomorrow, so hoping it arrives in time for my trip out to California on Wednesday. I’m planning to re-visit a waterfowl location north of Sacramento that I went to in December. I’m expecting that with all the recent rains, there should be plenty of birds around. At that time, I was shooting my 120-300 + TC2 on the Z8. This time, the 120-300 will go on the D850 with a 1.4 and the 600 PF naked on my Z8. Looking forward to seeing how it performs as I’m heading to Roatan in late April. Past trips there have been with my ex-Z7 and D850, with a 300 PF and 70-200/2.8 VRII. I might even bring the 600 along to France and Portugal next month, though my wife might ground me if I try…
EDIT: Btw, posting these shots as they are at the same FL and aperture that I’ll have with the 600 PF, so thought they may be a useful comparison.

IMG_2092.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2093.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I just ordered my 600 PF from the Nikon store. Should ship 2nd Day Air tomorrow, so hoping it arrives in time for my trip out to California on Wednesday. I’m planning to re-visit a waterfowl location north of Sacramento that I went to in December. I’m expecting that with all the recent rains, there should be plenty of birds around. At that time, I was shooting my 120-300 + TC2 on the Z8. This time, the 120-300 will go on the D850 with a 1.4 and the 600 PF naked on my Z8. Looking forward to seeing how it performs as I’m heading to Roatan in late April. Past trips there have been with my ex-Z7 and D850, with a 300 PF and 70-200/2.8 VRII. I might even bring the 600 along to France and Portugal next month, though my wife might ground me if I try…
EDIT: Btw, posting these shots as they are at the same FL and aperture that I’ll have with the 600 PF, so thought they may be a useful comparison.

View attachment 82417
View attachment 82418
View attachment 82422

Hi, I don't know which WLR you are going to but Colusa is still closed due to heavy rains here in CA. I think Sacramento is open and probably Gray Lodge, and any others that you know and I don't may also be open. Best to check their websites. Here is the Colusa site (Colusa is my favorite). I was at Merced a couple of time in the last 10 days and they were open and they had cut the corn so the Sandhills were coming in. Love my 600 at all these places.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/colusa

Affirmative… here’s some info on them in the Central Valley. Looks like Merced is a great place for them, too.

Merced usually has cranes in February, but not very close up, not like Bosque. I'll check out the place you're going to and see if they are closer in. In Merced they hang out in the fields in the day then head out in the afternoon and fly overhead but not usually into a close pond nor do they hang out in a portion of the ponds where you can photograph them close up. I live in the Sierra Foothills and try to get to the Central Valley refuges during the winter, there are still several I need to visit. Happy photographing!

From western PA, Lake Wilhelm where Bald Eagles are very plentiful right now. Some photos from a couple days ago, a juvenile Bald Eagle, 2/20/24. After shooting tons of photos these are the only ones I have processed right now (yes, there were that many eagles there!) 600 PF + 1.4x tc.
1CR_JuvieBCG-NZ91221-NR.jpg
1CR_JuvieBCG-NZ91292-NR.jpg
1CR_JuvieBCG-NZ91313-NR.jpg

Can anyone share the O.D. of the outer end of the 600 PF’s hood? I bought a slip on filter for the lens I thought I would use for the April eclipse, but now will likely use the 600… hoping the filter is not too large. 🥸

Merced usually has cranes in February, but not very close up, not like Bosque. I'll check out the place you're going to and see if they are closer in. In Merced they hang out in the fields in the day then head out in the afternoon and fly overhead but not usually into a close pond nor do they hang out in a portion of the ponds where you can photograph them close up. I live in the Sierra Foothills and try to get to the Central Valley refuges during the winter, there are still several I need to visit. Happy photographing!
Thank you! It’s looking like more rain on the way later next week so hoping they don’t close more roads, at least the ones I want to use! (Sounds like you are in the Placerville/Auburn area?)

Beautiful eagle shots, Patty. I’m in the DC area and just started going up to Conowingo. Can’t wait to get back up next time with the new lens. Of course, now I’ll have to budget for a TC… those birds like to keep their distance. :)

I was not planning to get the 600mm PF as I have the 400mm 4.5 +1.4x TC and recently got 180-600mm. I was thinking the 800mm PF would provide more benefit since it covers a focal length I don’t have, but recently looked back through my images and have a bit more at 400mm than 560mm. I’m thinking 800mm is going to be too much most of the time so the 600mm might be the better option and use with the tc when needed. My question, is it really worthwhile adding the 600mm pf if I already have the 400mm 4.5 + 1.4x and the 180-600mm? Curious of the opinions of others.

Beautiful eagle shots, Patty. I’m in the DC area and just started going up to Conowingo. Can’t wait to get back up next time with the new lens. Of course, now I’ll have to budget for a TC… those birds like to keep their distance. :)
Thanks! I recently got the 1.4x TC and have found it really beneficial for eagle shots. I've not gone to Conowingo, it's a 4-5 hour drive for me, but I have so many other locations for eagles closer to me where I am. I have a nesting pair 10 minutes from my house! 😁

I was not planning to get the 600mm PF as I have the 400mm 4.5 +1.4x TC and recently got 180-600mm. I was thinking the 800mm PF would provide more benefit since it covers a focal length I don’t have, but recently looked back through my images and have a bit more at 400mm than 560mm. I’m thinking 800mm is going to be too much most of the time so the 600mm might be the better option and use with the tc when needed. My question, is it really worthwhile adding the 600mm pf if I already have the 400mm 4.5 + 1.4x and the 180-600mm? Curious of the opinions of others.
I’d say that if you get good use from the 400, and are happy with it at 560, not sure I’d add the 600. It’d prove redundant with your 186 as well.

If you said that you never used the 400 4.5 at 400, then I’d say go for the 600PF.

I’d say that if you get good use from the 400, and are happy with it at 560, not sure I’d add the 600. It’d prove redundant with your 186 as well.

If you said that you never used the 400 4.5 at 400, then I’d say go for the 600PF.
Thank for the response. I really like the 400mm 4.5 and think it works well with the 1.4x when needed. I also really like the 180-600mm and its flexibility. I guess it really comes down to whether adding the 600mm PF is too redundant or if it offers enough to justify.

Back