Nikon 600PF - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you, Ralph and Geoff!

The first shot is rather boring, as I had intended to show the detail captured, so I I'll add that here instead :) I'm doing comparison b/w the 600PF and 180-600, and like I posted in that lens' thread, it's been too close to call as to which is better. The 600PF seems to have just a slight edge in contrast in the fine details, but the zoom can catch up with a small amount of post. Thus far, I wouldn't recommend the prime over the zoom based on IQ.

NIKON Z 8untitled_20231029_31-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
If you need a kick-ass 400mm, and are occasionally using the 1.4TC to reach 560, easy choice to go with the 400 4.5.

If you will glue the TC onto the 400 4.5, then I suggest the 600PF.

From what I’ve personally experienced having owned both, the 600PF is light years beyond the 400 4.5 + 1.4TC combo, which I found just average even in great conditions; when shot in not-so-great light, the combo was not acceptable for me. I wish I still had the lens so I could compare, but I moved on from it earlier this year.

Is it nearly $2k better? Yet to be determined 😉
Light years? I have had great results with both TCs.

Light years? I have had great results with both TCs.
I'm the only one that seems to not like the 400 + 1.4TC :sneaky: I'm starting to suspect that my 1.4TC may not have played well with my particular copy. The bare 400 4.5 I'd say is equal. Great little lens, I may revisit it in the future.

I hate derailing a thread, but... It's not helpful for me to say "oh, it just wasn't as good", so I'm going to try and provide some examples of what I regularly got out of the 400 4.5 + 1.4TC combo. The shots just never really sharpen up or exhibit the automatic crispness that I get from my 500PF/800PF, or these new 600 lenses. I feel it's just flat/dull, and this was pretty much consistent with what I got out of it on a regular basis. My 100-400 + 1.4TC was a little bit better even, which was what prompted me to sell the 400 in the end.

Again, the primary benchmark for comparison was my 500PF, as that was the lens this 400 4.5 was supposed to replace, so it just sorta let me down. 400mm is generally too short for most birding, so I don't need a great 400mm and a "just OK" 560mm... now that I have the choice (with the 600PF), I'd much prefer having a great 600 and "just OK" 840mm that I can get to in a pinch with the 1.4TC, and/or have my 800PF if that's not working too well.

Personal needs/wants, this is all very subjective, and please believe me that I'm in no way faulting anyone's choices. I want everyone to be happy and nail great shots, not worry about what some random Cheesehead says on a web forum ;)

NIKON Z 9untitled_20230330_367-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

NIKON Z 9untitled_20230330_389.jpg

NIKON Z 9untitled_20230422_230-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
We have had the worst weather. Dark, gray, gloomy and raining. I was dying to try out the new 600PF and I'm pleased with what I got. Taken from my deck, drizzly rain coming down. I ended up with only a head shot since the deck rail was in the way and when I tried to get closer, my Red-bellied Woodpecker friend wouldn't stay. I cropped the photo, and used noise reduction in Photoshop.
1CR_RedBellyWoodpecker-Small.jpg

I just got my lens and I opened the back door and took a few snapshots of one of our local California scrub jays pirating sunflower seeds from our feeder. This is obviously not a work of art, it is offered simply to show the amazing resolution of the lens. This is a 100% crop, no sharpening. ISO 1000, 1/2000 f6.3
Jayhead600pf.jpg

I just opened the lens package and I am so happy with the weight of this lens! Wow, it felt so much better than the 180-600 that I ordered and then sold. I am so excited to try it out, but that most likely won't happen until Thursday. But maybe today if the hummers are around, they always end up being my first test case with any camera or lens. I'll post photos when I get them. BTW, the lens hood is ssoooooo much better than the lens hood on the 500, which I've always struggled with, very happy about that.

I have 3 outings now with the Z600 PF and one thing I noticed right away is its more difficult locating fast moving BIF because of the narrower field of view compared to the 500 PF. The more I use it the easier it gets but I think it will be awhile before I get as proficient as I was with the 500 PF. I haven't tried the 1.4 yet but have tried DX mode in a pinch and it works quite well. Below are 2 more samples with this lens.
Plunge diving Brown Pelican.jpg
Landing Willets.jpg

I have 3 outings now with the Z600 PF and one thing I noticed right away is its more difficult locating fast moving BIF because of the narrower field of view compared to the 500 PF. The more I use it the easier it gets but I think it will be awhile before I get as proficient as I was with the 500 PF. I haven't tried the 1.4 yet but have tried DX mode in a pinch and it works quite well. Below are 2 more samples with this lens.
View attachment 73249View attachment 73250
Regarding locating BIF in the viewfinder, I recently noticed my 200-500 has a little window/sight in the lens hood that works pretty well for using my left (or non viewfinder) eye to get an initial approximation of subject location. I don't know if that's what the window was intended for, but I don't think I've noticed that feature on any newer lenses.

Just did my first try with the 600PF. I love this lens! This hummer was shot from my porch, in DX mode, which is mostly what I use. I also used Transform in LrC to enlarge it. I'm fairly adept at honing in on birds. But, I am still trying to figure out the best focus mode with the Nikon mirrorless and I need to work on that more. The color the lens picked up is incredible. The bright red on the throat is a reflection from the feeder: I had to tone it down to keep it in gamut.

CCassinetto-2.jpg

I just got my lens today, I have only had a chance to take boring test shots around the yard but so far the sharpness is extremely good. I did try both converters and 1.4 was very good and the 2x was very usable but you really need a tripod to get the best results. Looking forward to taking out tomorrow morning and seeing what this can do with some birds.

FYI…as of this morning (10/31)…apparently B&H has them in stock. I ordered my 600PF on Friday afternoon and saw the hold and hold release on the card Friday and yesterday, saw another charge this morning and checked…order had gone to processing vice New item coming soon…and just got a shipping notice with tracking number. Yay!!.

First snow today, on Halloween. Yay 👻🎃❄️ Tried to get some bird shots incorporating the remaining Autumn leaves + snow, but wasn't able to get those things to align like I wanted.

Had choice to take out 186, 600PF or 800PF, and chose the 600PF. It's just a fun lens to use, it really is the new 500PF, brings back some great memories of those lighter, airy days. My biggest concern is the MFD, but with the birds I'm working with, I've yet to run up against it. I will say, that the 600PF is BY FAR the sharpest, cleanest lens I've ever used.

NIKON Z 8untitled_20231031_97-Enhanced-NR.jpg

NIKON Z 8untitled_20231031_143-Enhanced-NR.jpg

NIKON Z 8untitled_20231031_27-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg

Last edited:
This is straight out of the Lightroom with no adjustments and about a 50% crop from the Z9. It's amazing how light and easy it is to walk around with.
View attachment 73311
Black Phoebe?

Thanks.. gotta go to Dr now to treat micro cuts on eye from all the sharpness. This thing is just insane.

/dopy dad joke :p

First snow today, on Halloween. Yay 👻🎃❄️ Tried to get some bird shots incorporating the remaining Autumn leaves + snow, but wasn't able to get those things to align like I wanted.

Had choice to take out 186, 600PF or 800PF, and chose the 600PF. It's just a fun lens to use, it really is the new 500PF, brings back some great memories of those lighter, airy days. My biggest concern is the MFD, but with the birds I'm working with, I've yet to run up against it. I will say, that the 600PF is BY FAR the sharpest, cleanest lens I've ever used.

View attachment 73312
View attachment 73313
View attachment 73317
Nice shots...:)
You hit on the one area where I think the lens is a 'little weak' and that's MFD. But I'm not letting that be a debbie downer - there is a lot to like in this lens and it is fun to use.. Sharp as all get out.

Back