Nikon 600PF - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nice shots...:)
You hit on the one area where I think the lens is a 'little weak' and that's MFD. But I'm not letting that be a debbie downer - there is a lot to like in this lens and it is fun to use.. Sharp as all get out.
Actually, when I use the 600PF (and the 500PF before that) birds I was shooting were farther off, so the MFD doesn't matter to me. I have a Z100-400 and a Z24-120 for closer shots. So far, the few photos I've been able to get with the 600PF have been stellar.

Actually, when I use the 600PF (and the 500PF before that) birds I was shooting were farther off, so the MFD doesn't matter to me. I have a Z100-400 and a Z24-120 for closer shots. So far, the few photos I've been able to get with the 600PF have been stellar.
As I mentioned, it's not a big deal for me either. It is 600 friggen mm after all....;):):LOL: It's an awesome lens.
I have not been able to get out the last couple of days but yes, stellar comes to mind. The images and usability and funability of this lens justify the $4800 price tag IMO....

Here is shot using the 1.4x TC, basic LR lighting adjustments, no additional sharpening and approximately 50% crop. Z9 with 600mm PF =600MM PF 1/500sec, f 9.0 ISO 500
Coopers Hawk.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Despite the biting cold and snow flurries today, I was shocked to still see Yellow-rumps sticking around! They'll be the last migrant to leave before the long chasm of winter starts in earnest :cry:
View attachment 73345
I really like these shots that show parts of the habitat, like this dead limb. The “openness“ is perfect with a kaleidoscope of colors in the background!

Attached are 2 more from the first day with the Z 600 PF. Can anyone tell me what the protrusion sticking out under the Snowy's neck is ?. It has most of us stumped at Bolsa. The Forrester's Tern has just plunge dived and caught a Pipefish (close relative to a sea horse).
Forrester Tern catching a pipefish.jpg
Snowy Egret.jpg

I got my Hejnar NFR-008 foot on the lens. I like it a lot. Two QD attachments, I prefer the one closest to the Z9 camera since it keeps it more level when carrying with my cross body strap.
1_HejnarNFR-008-750_6694-NR-small.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding locating BIF in the viewfinder, I recently noticed my 200-500 has a little window/sight in the lens hood that works pretty well for using my left (or non viewfinder) eye to get an initial approximation of subject location. I don't know if that's what the window was intended for, but I don't think I've noticed that feature on any newer lenses.
My AF-S 500 f4 had a long lens hood that had a round knob that screwed the hood to the lens. This acted a a front rifle/Pistol sight for me as it stuck up. This was especially helpful in locating the subject with the narrow field of view of the 500. That was many years ago and I do not think Nikon have used the screw down knob since (At least recently for sure).

Attached are 2 more from the first day with the Z 600 PF. Can anyone tell me what the protrusion sticking out under the Snowy's neck is ?. It has most of us stumped at Bolsa. The Forrester's Tern has just plunge dived and caught a Pipefish (close relative to a sea horse).View attachment 73349View attachment 73348
I might be able to help you out here. I’ve seen this “issue” twice before. It’s might be the bird‘s tongue. It has poked through the neck. It seems to happen with egrets and herons when they are trying to swallow their catch…. I’ll send a picture of a heron with this problem if I can find it….

That’s gruesome, ouch
these birds get their pointy tongues tangled up with what they are eating and wind up poking them through their throat. This shot shows how pointed it actually is. I think they eventually wiggle it enough to get it back it their mouth…… just …. 😳😱… lovely!
LS4_1332.jpeg

Trying out the new lens early this morning watching a pair of adult eagles performing home improvement on their nest. A little distance away and several are tight crops. I shot these out my car window. Very sharp, lightweight, and easy to handle. I think I’ll keep the lens!
NZ9_0275.jpeg

NZ9_0310.jpeg

NZ9_0376.jpeg

NZ9_0443.jpeg

Bohemian waxwing and for me a life first. They pass through here (Scotland) fleetingly in winter, when food supplies run short in Scandinavia. In a local birder's garden.
First serious shots with the 600mm whose autofocus and handling are fantastic.

Edit--5.jpg
Edit--4.jpg
Edit--8.jpg

I was able to take the 600pf out for its first real outing today. I've had the lens since Monday, but a combination of work and just absolutely awful weather conditions (seems to be a recurring theme in this thread :) ) meant I didn't get around to it yet.

Up until now, I'd been shooting the "old" 500pf as my main lens (on a Z9), so I'll use that as a baseline as I'm sure there'll be many people in a similar situation considering switching to the 600.

Some thoughts:

- Weight/balance/handling: unsurprisingly, this felt familiar straight away. The 600 feels like its weight is balanced towards the rear a bit more (although that might just be the absense of the FTZ adapter), which I prefer.
- Autofocus: very simply put, initial AF lock is very fast and probably a little faster than the 500pf. Maintaining the AF lock is obviously not an issue (as it never was with the 500 either), user error set aside.
- Sharpness: see the images in this thread and Steve's video. They speak for themselves.
- The f/6.3 "issue": for anyone who knows what they're doing and somewhat capable with modern post-processing software/techniques; this is a moot point in my opinion. I've included an image of a crow doing its morning yoga/gymnastics. This was shot in incredibly flat light, at iso 6400 and cropped to roughly DX size. Cleaned up nice enough for my taste. Being cognizant of your backgrounds is of course something to remember (but you should be doing that anyway).

If I have to mention something negative; it would be the stock lensfoot. This thing is just useless for both carrying and mounting the lens on a support mechanism. Replacing it with an aftermarket option is almost mandatory (as it is for most lenses really). Mine has been replaced with the Kirk LP-70.

Crow_gymnastics.jpg

I was able to take the 600pf out for its first real outing today. I've had the lens since Monday, but a combination of work and just absolutely awful weather conditions (seems to be a recurring theme in this thread :) ) meant I didn't get around to it yet.

Up until now, I'd been shooting the "old" 500pf as my main lens (on a Z9), so I'll use that as a baseline as I'm sure there'll be many people in a similar situation considering switching to the 600.

Some thoughts:

- Weight/balance/handling: unsurprisingly, this felt familiar straight away. The 600 feels like its weight is balanced towards the rear a bit more (although that might just be the absense of the FTZ adapter), which I prefer.
- Autofocus: very simply put, initial AF lock is very fast and probably a little faster than the 500pf. Maintaining the AF lock is obviously not an issue (as it never was with the 500 either), user error set aside.
- Sharpness: see the images in this thread and Steve's video. They speak for themselves.
- The f/6.3 "issue": for anyone who knows what they're doing and somewhat capable with modern post-processing software/techniques; this is a moot point in my opinion. I've included an image of a crow doing its morning yoga/gymnastics. This was shot in incredibly flat light, at iso 6400 and cropped to roughly DX size. Cleaned up nice enough for my taste. Being cognizant of your backgrounds is of course something to remember (but you should be doing that anyway).

If I have to mention something negative; it would be the stock lensfoot. This thing is just useless for both carrying and mounting the lens on a support mechanism. Replacing it with an aftermarket option is almost mandatory (as it is for most lenses really). Mine has been replaced with the Kirk LP-70.

View attachment 73400
I am considering the switch to this 600mm also. The 500PF has served me well with the D850 & Z9 but the FTZ adapter is a “necessary annoyance ” add on. A 3rd part in what should be a two part system… Put a TC on and there’s 4 pieces..😕 Your assessment of the foot is a no-brainer… What is Nikon thinking here? The crow?👍👍

I've only been able to get out with the (wifes) 600PF once, during and after some heavy rain so I was quite limited.

"For me", it was as exciting as it was when I received out 1st 500PF several years ago. It gave me the same silly "how can this be" feeling as the I initially had with the beloved 500PF.

As many have said (following SP's initial preview video), this lens is super sharp, crazy nimble and easy to maneuver, VR is excellent, and the focus speed is excellent. I shot it on a Z9 and it felt great. My wife shoots a Z8 and it may feel even better on the Z8, which really reminds me of the D500 + 500PF that we both shot for years. I could see a world where I may need to buy a 2nd one for myself. Lol....

I don't have much to share yet, but here are a few from the 1st couple hours with the new lens. Conditions were horrible, so it was the perfect opp for the new z600PF. Lol!!!

Z9, 600PF, 600mm, 1/800, F6.3, ISO 4500 - I was just walking past this perched grackle, raised the camera & shot - as I walked past.
20231028 Z9B, 600PF - Grackle-00208 by Phil McKinney

Z9, 600PF, 600mm, 1/100, F6.3, ISO 11,400
20231028 Z9B, 600PF - Night Heron, -00029 by Phil McKinney

Z9, 600PF, 600mm, 1/400, F6.3, ISO 22,800
20231028 Z9A, 600PF, Muscovy Duck-00009 by Phil McKinney

Last edited:
Despite the biting cold and snow flurries today, I was shocked to still see Yellow-rumps sticking around! They'll be the last migrant to leave before the long chasm of winter starts in earnest :cry:
View attachment 73345
Gone from where I live in MN... you must be just a touch warmer than your neighbor to the West.
Lovely shot... The bokeh is dreamy, and reminds me of the 800PF. Had I not already owned the 800PF, I'd have bought the 600PF, however, I am finding the 180-600 + 800PF to be the perfect 1-2 punch... makes me wonder if my 400mm lens will see any use.

bruce

First snow today, on Halloween. Yay 👻🎃❄️ Tried to get some bird shots incorporating the remaining Autumn leaves + snow, but wasn't able to get those things to align like I wanted.

Had choice to take out 186, 600PF or 800PF, and chose the 600PF. It's just a fun lens to use, it really is the new 500PF, brings back some great memories of those lighter, airy days. My biggest concern is the MFD, but with the birds I'm working with, I've yet to run up against it. I will say, that the 600PF is BY FAR the sharpest, cleanest lens I've ever used.

View attachment 73312
View attachment 73313
View attachment 73343

I just got the Z600 PF Saturday and late yesterday was the first time there was decent light. I set up my chair blind about 20 ft from a feeder in my yard and had my Z9 with the 600PF on bird subject detect on a tripod. It took a while for some Titmice to get used to me but was able to get a few hundred shots in bursts of up to 20. The below pics show the full frame and then cropped to about 200%. I will have to say the sharpness is exquisite from the feather detail below. Bursts were necessary as 1) these little guys move all the time and 2) it was windy. While most shots were sharp the below was indicative of ~ 20%. Needless to say, I am very happy with this lens! Hope to compare the the Z180-600 I got earlier last week when get a better run of weather.

TUTI_Oct31_FullFrame_LRDenoiseonly-1031-IMG_00001.jpg

TUTI_Oct31_Cropped_LRdenoiseonly-1031-IMG_00001.jpg

Back