Nikon 800 5.6 vs. 6.3

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well the z600/4TC is almost certainly coming [soon] and it will cost 15% more than the Z400/2.8TC -- so the first question is whether or not you can face spending say $10k more on this lens over the 800/6.3PF. Then YES one needs to consider how it will be used and portability. I made the following based on my analysis of the Z and F mount lenses.
All Items in Salmon Pink are imputed.

View attachment 45818
Good points; it would be tough to swing, I could do it but would need to finance it; but ultimately what I care most about is sharpness on birds. The 800 is fantastic for bird photography. So it comes down to the built in TC; would I want to have basically two lenses in one, and how much light do I gain with the 600 f4 - not sure what the difference in ISO would be on the same shot. Looking at older files with my Canon 800 5.6 and 7DII I was still getting fine owl shots on a cloudy morning at ISO 2500; and I feel I could shoot up to ISO 10,000 and still be able to work with the file in Topaz to get a nice image. Then there is the weight; not having to set up the tripod but being able to go out and shoot and track the owl in flight is a big plus too. Will be curious what the specs are on the 600 once it's announced.

For me it is all about the weight. My 600mm f/4 weighed over 11 lbs and was replaced with the 600mm f/4 that is nearly 3 lbs lighter. Same with the 3.2 lb 500mm PF lens that is the size and weight of a 70-200mm f.2,8 lens. Now I have the 800mm PF which is even lighter and I can use it with the Z9 without a tripod and for shorter periods without a monopod.
Not needing a tripod is why I would often grab the 80-400mm with a TC-14 instead of the 600mm f/4 lens and a tripod in places like Yellowstone.

I have two quick leveling tripods and so I can adjust them so I am shooting at eye level with my subjects but as a practical manner I do not do this nearly as much as I should. No such issues with my 100-400mm and 500mm PF lenses, and the 800mm PF is great on a monopod with only one leg to adjust.

I also think in terms of a combo setup with two lenses and two cameras available. In the past it was the 80-400mm and the 600mm f/4. Then it was the 80-400mm and the 500mm PF most of the time. Now it is the 100-400mm and the 800mm PF. But the view angle is much too restrictive with the 800mm lens in many situations (such as shooting from a small boat) and so I have kept the 500mm PF lens.

Zero problems with having the 500mm PF, 800mm PF, and 100-400mm in my 32L backpack for air travel.
Weight is key for me too. And I usually have a 2 lens telephoto kit with me. Have used the 100-400 and 500 mm PF this year, with and without the Z and F 1.4x TCs. My dealer called this week to tell me that he has an 800 mm PF for me. Out of town, so I have not yet picked it up, but hope to do so this week.

I’ve been thinking about how to carry the 800 mm PF when I want to use it. I’m thinking about two bags — one a single backpack for the 800 mm PF and a Z9 body when that is all I want to take (say to a local wildlife refuge). Considering whether the ThinkTank Glass Limo might work for that. (Currently use a ThinkTank Glass Taxi for the 500 mm PF and a body — initially the D500 or D850, but still fits with the Z9.) Also thinking about the LowePro Lens Trekker 600. Curious to know whether anyone with an 800 mm PF has tried either of these bags. Or would recommend something else.

The other need is for a bag that will hold multiple lenses and two bodies, one of which is a Z9, for air travel. I have the LowePro Prorunner 450 AWII and have used that with the 500 mm PF, 100-400, Z 24-120, 2 bodies and other stuff. Wondering if that could fit the 800 mm PF with either (or even both?) the 100-400 and the 500 mm PF. I suppose I’ll be able to test that soon enough. I’m curious to know which 32L bag you have that will hold the 800 mm PF, the 100-400 and 500 mm PF. Can you get all three in? Or only 2. Any other suggestions welcome too.

Weight is key for me too. And I usually have a 2 lens telephoto kit with me. Have used the 100-400 and 500 mm PF this year, with and without the Z and F 1.4x TCs. My dealer called this week to tell me that he has an 800 mm PF for me. Out of town, so I have not yet picked it up, but hope to do so this week.

I’ve been thinking about how to carry the 800 mm PF when I want to use it. I’m thinking about two bags — one a single backpack for the 800 mm PF and a Z9 body when that is all I want to take (say to a local wildlife refuge). Considering whether the ThinkTank Glass Limo might work for that. (Currently use a ThinkTank Glass Taxi for the 500 mm PF and a body — initially the D500 or D850, but still fits with the Z9.) Also thinking about the LowePro Lens Trekker 600. Curious to know whether anyone with an 800 mm PF has tried either of these bags. Or would recommend something else.

The other need is for a bag that will hold multiple lenses and two bodies, one of which is a Z9, for air travel. I have the LowePro Prorunner 450 AWII and have used that with the 500 mm PF, 100-400, Z 24-120, 2 bodies and other stuff. Wondering if that could fit the 800 mm PF with either (or even both?) the 100-400 and the 500 mm PF. I suppose I’ll be able to test that soon enough. I’m curious to know which 32L bag you have that will hold the 800 mm PF, the 100-400 and 500 mm PF. Can you get all three in? Or only 2. Any other suggestions welcome too.

I do own the Lenstracker 600 bag and really like it; I used it for my D850 and 800 5.6 set up and it works great. I have two smaller backpacks as well for my Z7II, and other lenses; I'd like to get it down to just the Lenstracker and a single backpack but the 500 PF takes up a bit too much space, so not sure what bag could fit a Z7II, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 and 500 5.6 PF. I do like the side compartment too on the Lenstracker that holds the extra batteries and 1.4 TC.

I do own the Lenstracker 600 bag and really like it; I used it for my D850 and 800 5.6 set up and it works great. I have two smaller backpacks as well for my Z7II, and other lenses; I'd like to get it down to just the Lenstracker and a single backpack but the 500 PF takes up a bit too much space, so not sure what bag could fit a Z7II, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 and 500 5.6 PF. I do like the side compartment too on the Lenstracker that holds the extra batteries and 1.4 TC.
Thanks. Very helpful to know.

Last edited:
Hi Bill
I appended some bookmarks I've saved about bags. I have similar dilemmas. I also have the big specialized Lowepro Lenstrekker, which can carry the 800E let alone a 800 PF (with attached ILC). Otherwise, depending on how much or rather how many lenses, it is the fstop Sukha, MS Elite 45L or even a fStop Lotus. In the latter case I use the MS Elite ICU or one or more of the ICUs that I bought with the bedevilled PeakDesign Traveller).

The PD Pack is fine for hotel hopping or tourist travels: especially for organizing personal lit, cables, laptop etc, clothes, but there sure are far far better camera packs IME. After mine arrived in a UK from a Kickstarter purchase; to test it, I deliberately carried it all day around London between camera shops and books shops with 10+ kg.

Terrible straps and hipbelt is an devious insult for the price tag. It's worse than some army issue packs of the 1970s!

For flying and multiple system, there are too many choices to decide on. One decision is suited to personal criteria as well as what kind of vehicle, how much gear, and above all plane and policing of what one boards the cabin carrying :oops::rolleyes:). This is where the ICU in a fStop or Mindshift / Thinktank Elite 45L (or 36L) is very useful. I also have 3 Pelicans of various capacities -the first is going 35 years now. The new Air is my newest and excellent unless one needs to carry it over rough terrain and/or far.

I'm also intrigued by the MrJanGear Pack, which is in this category as well as for hiking although it doesn't have a ICU. This linked review of it resonates with my own quest! Also take a good side look of the GuraGear Chobe as 2nd carryone and more.... They are in this thread - https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/gura-gear-kiboko-2-0-30l.16599/post-185908

Hi Bill
I appended some bookmarks I've saved about bags. I have similar dilemmas. I also have the big specialized Lowepro Lenstrekker, which can carry the 800E let alone a 800 PF (with attached ILC). Otherwise, depending on how much or rather how many lenses, it is the fstop Sukha, MS Elite 45L or even a fStop Lotus. In the latter case I use the MS Elite ICU or one or more of the ICUs that I bought with the bedevilled PeakDesign Traveller).

The PD Pack is fine for hotel hopping or tourist travels: especially for organizing personal lit, cables, laptop etc, clothes, but there sure are far far better camera packs IME. After mine arrived in a UK from a Kickstarter purchase; to test it, I deliberately carried it all day around London between camera shops and books shops with 10+ kg.

Terrible straps and hipbelt is an devious insult for the price tag. It's worse than some army issue packs of the 1970s!

For flying and multiple system, there are too many choices to decide on. One decision is suited to personal criteria as well as what kind of vehicle, how much gear, and above all plane and policing of what one boards the cabin carrying :oops::rolleyes:). This is where the ICU in a fStop or Mindshift / Thinktank Elite 45L (or 36L) is very useful. I also have 3 Pelicans of various capacities -the first is going 35 years now. The new Air is my newest and excellent unless one needs to carry it over rough terrain and/or far.

I'm also intrigued by the MrJanGear Pack, which is in this category as well as for hiking although it doesn't have a ICU. This linked review of it resonates with my own quest! Also take a good side look of the GuraGear Chobe as 2nd carryone and more.... They are in this thread - https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/gura-gear-kiboko-2-0-30l.16599/post-185908

Thank you. Very helpful (as always). I think I will get the Lenstrekker, as that seems well suited for the role of carrying the 800 mm PF + Z9, with a Z TC and cards/batteries. And see what I can get in my LowePro Prorunner 450 AW II before deciding whether I need another general camera backpack.

I have a couple of ThinkTank laptop bags that can hold a lens or two (up to say a Z 70-200 in size) and a few other items. I usually have one of them along on longer trips. Which helps too.

Great and glad that/those reviews etc helped.

The other option I just remembered to suggest is the 800 PF is sold with its own CL-C3 sling-pack (if this the correct name of it?) similar to the CL-L2 sold with the 180-400 f4E TC14. This may also work for you but I am leery of carrying around expensive gear in a branded pack advertising the contents!

You are the best judge when you get your new lens home safely from the shop...

Great and glad that/those reviews etc helped.

The other option I just remembered to suggest is the 800 PF is sold with its own CL-C3 sling-pack (if this the correct name of it?) similar to the CL-L2 sold with the 180-400 f4E TC14. This may also work for you but I am leery of carrying around expensive gear in a branded pack advertising the contents!

You are the best judge when you get your new lens home safely from the shop...
Agree about not wanting to advertise the contents. But most of our photo backpacks probably say camera gear to a knowledgable thief.

Back