Nikon D6 - what are your thoughts on this camera ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My main thought of the D6 is that it breaks my heart that I simply am not using mine since getting the Z9. More than a few times in early morning, especially since getting the 500 pf (and using it with the 1.4 tc) that I've got to start carrying the D6 for low light shoots. Denoising works really well, but I'd prefer to not see all that noise in camera. Or I buy the new 400 2.8 :) I did try to sell the D6, but in Canada there are no (that I can find) good resell locations and the online sites produced no response but several scam attempts :)
Anyway, love the camera and as long as I keep my 180-400 f4 I'm definitely keeping it (unless I get an offer higher than $1400 cdn which the local camera shop here offered) and simply have to get in the habit of bringing both cameras on dedicated shoots (vs walkabouts).

I couldn't agree more.

I am still not impressed with ISO handling of the Z9, although I keep hoping that Adobe and others will be able to support HE* soon with better noise reduction. That said, I love everything else and I have adapted my shooting to cope with it. The Z9 has very quickly become my go-to camera and I only take the D6 along as a second camera for blind photography with my 200-400 lens on it. The Z9 is married to the 500 f/4 in that situation as I don't like it that much with the 200-400.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Z 400 2.8 with Nikon. I hope it will be the dream kit I imagine it to be and the flexibility of the built-in TC is magic. If only Nikon would take my money and send one my way....
I assume that after I have that combination, I would use the D6 even less and am considering selling it and getting a second Z9 with the 100-400, or potentially the Z9's little brother if that one will have interesting specs.

I am still not impressed with ISO handling of the Z9,
Really -- I find the Z9 to be only 1/3 of a stop less "good" vs my DSLRs/Z6II with Base Iso 100. AND have absolutely no issues shooting the Z9 across a range of low light settings.
although I keep hoping that Adobe and others will be able to support HE* soon with better noise reduction.
2 issues here -- ONE is just how lousy ACR and LR/LRC are at converting Z9 RAW files -- I now use DxO Pure Raw 2. AND HE/HE* I find these to be pointless. I only shoot with Lossless RAW and have bought large enough cards to last me whole days of shooting.
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Z 400 2.8 with Nikon. I hope it will be the dream kit I imagine it to be and the flexibility of the built-in TC is magic. If only Nikon would take my money and send one my way....
I receive my z400mm/2.8TC in April and it is SPECTACULAR. I sold my G-series 400 and 600 earlier this year when I placed the order for the Z400/2.8TC and will be selling the E-FL versions of both lenses soon to0 so I can afford the Z600/4.0TC. YES the Z400/2.8TC and Z600/4.0TC are very pricy. I am glad that I do not need to justify a business case for these lenses -- they are just what I want to use in the field (Africa).

Yes it is probably time to let the D6 go -- but what will you use as a back up body -- I bought a 2nd Z9 and have sold my D5, D500 and 4 other DSLR bodies and now only have a pair of D850 DSLRs left. These will go soon too.

My ONLY issue with the 100-400 is I prefer the flexibility of using Z70-200mm/2.8 with TC14 or TC20 over the 100-400. When I am shooting Hawks training and racing I use 2 bodies one with the Z70-200 and the other Z9 with 100-400 and these work great. I find the Z400/2.8TC a little bit too long FL and heavy to track shaheen falcon (Falco peregrinus peregrinator) and other fast moving hybrids. But perfect on a support.

Thom Hogan's review
"... Focus: Let's put this to a rest right now: as I began to write this in late 2021 the D6 was clearly, measurably, repeatably, and by some margin, the best autofocusing camera we had to that date. That included much-hyped products such as the Sony A9 model, the direct competitor Canon 1Dx Mark II, and all other comers. Some A1 with its eventual firmware adjustments and the Z9's appearance and new firmware now makes me have to equivocate a bit. I'd judge the best autofocus system is now in the Z9, with the A1 literally right behind it. But you'll be surprised at how close the D6 is, and in many situations, it's actually better (low light and low contrast, due to the dense focus sensor coverage with dual axis information).... "

And the complete guide ebook

Hi Guys

No real reason for this its just a general question so - Out of curiosity how good OR not is the D6 and why isn`t it talked about as much as the other Nikons ?

I always tend to see or hear good things said about the D5 - D850 and even the D4`s and D3`s however there never seems to be a lot of info on the D6 , when questions pop about Nikon cameras that people would like recommendations for, it always seems to me that the D850 and D5 are always spoken about first, closely followed by the Z series..

Is it because not a lot of people use/have the D6 because of the 6k price tag ? is it purely a Professional camera and not for the keen enthusiast/semi Pro ? I would have thought the serious shooters in the Wedding/Portrait business would own one ...

thanks in advance ..

PS any of you guys here own one, use one ?

Harry.G
In a nut shell, the D6 is my preferred all time camera especially for when it comes to challenging low light low contrast fast moving erratic subjects.

If its a one off critical shoot i cant afford to miss or else or my reputation depends on it its the D6 is it every time and absolutely over all mirror less cameras regardless of brands and there i said it.

What ever i or my co shooters point it at it sticks and doesn't miss, speed is plenty, focus attack is brilliant, battery life excellent i cant find anything to complain about.

The D6 greatest feature is its RELIABLE.

I am and have been a Z9 owner for coming up to 2 years now.

Being out of warranty really concerns me now.

I use my D850 often and love it, i hire the D6 when ever needed for demanding conditions.

Putting a shutter assembly on the shelf for a D850 or D6 isn't a bad idea.

I love the D5 D850 D4s D6.

Agree with Steve the D850 D5 or in my case D6 is an excellent combination.

That said if it wasn't for the spate of QC issues moody software bricking and all the other things from the past 18 months plus I would feel more trusting and confident of mirrorless, people who haven't experienced issues may say other wise.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back