Nikon F Mount Lenses on the way out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve kept five F lenses because I have a small collection of Nikon film cameras and I use them on occasion. I’ll keep all five lenses until there’s a problem and I can no longer get them repaired.
My response was in the context of "if you're going to trade them at some point". If you're still shooting film, then you probably never will.

It all depends on what your doing as to trading in or updating.

At the moment i don't want to invest into mirror less to much, i have the Z9 and a 50mm 1.8S and i rent anything exotic i need, i find the FX gear does the job well as it has for years except video which i am not into.

Myself i have the wholly trio FX as the work horses, D850, Z9 I rent the rest.............
For normal stills a I phone 15 seems to meet a lot of what stands still LOL.

My last trip for month saw me using for still shots the smart phone 95% of the time in HD.

Cross roads, if you are going to change its better sooner than later.

For me i am waiting to see if i want to move forward or chnage trains completely.

Only an opinion

The value is only going to go down.
The only possible saviour I see is a rapid rise of perhaps 20% in the value of the yen.
The Japanese consider it has been at a very low value for over 12 months.
If this happens the discounts currently common or new equipment will evaporate, new street prices will increase and secondhand F prices should follow.

The tricky part is deciding when to trade in the F mount lens and cameras before their trade-in value becomes very low. I still have a D850 and two lenses for it to evenly replace with mirrorless equivalents.
Compared to May of 2022 what you can get for f mount lenses and DSLR's has dropped a lot.

I got really lucky and sold the last of my f mount lenses and DSLR's by the middle of May 2022 just after I got my Z800 pf 5-1-22. With my Z9 that made my 600f/4E and other f mount lenses and D6, D850 and D500 destined to sit on the shelf. So I took the plunge and paid for a lot of Z mount gear.

As others have said the longer you wait the lower the prices will go on that f mount and dslr gear.

Compared to May of 2022 what you can get for f mount lenses and DSLR's has dropped a lot.

I got really lucky and sold the last of my f mount lenses and DSLR's by the middle of May 2022 just after I got my Z800 pf 5-1-22. With my Z9 that made my 600f/4E and other f mount lenses and D6, D850 and D500 destined to sit on the shelf. So I took the plunge and paid for a lot of Z mount gear.

As others have said the longer you wait the lower the prices will go on that f mount and dslr gear.
Hi Ken do you find the actual 800 file to be as good or better than the 600 F4E side by side no TC.

Hi Ken do you find the actual 800 file to be as good or better than the 600 F4E side by side no TC.
A bit hard to say ... since I have photographed in many more situations now with the Z8 than I did with the 600 f/4 E and only had them both in use for about 8 days ... but while I had them both they were very similar and logistically there was no contest the 800pf won hands down.

Keep in mind I have never been a "full time" pro but have sold prints, been published, and my images are used by non profits in web pages, posters, mailers etc. and citizen sience stuff like e bird etc., newspaper and journal aritcles by ornithologists etc.. I am not much of a pixel peeper.

I have a lot of images that have sold, hang on my wall etc. that were taken with Tamron 150-600 G2, Nikon 200-500 (after the 3rd warranty repair it worked), Sigma 150 and 60-600 sport, Nikon 28-300, Tamron 24-70 G2, 500pf, 600 f/4E (probably the fewest) and now the Z800.

I just put some run and gun bird ID photos in the wildlife presentation forum Z9& Z800 pf.

Last edited:
Not side by side and in different conditions and lighting. The first Song Sparrow and Black-capped Chickadee were taken with the 600 f/4E on Z9 and the second Black-capped Chickadee and Song Sparrow were taken with the Z800 on the Z9.
Z91_3488.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z91_3520.jpg
Z92_5798-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z92_6401-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Back