Nikon Refurb Store; why ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Every once in a while I check out the refurb page in the Nikon Store. I've bought a couple of lenses in the past during sales, etc. So right now they have a 500mm f4E listed for $9999. That's only a three percent discount versus a new one. And a 90 day warranty rather than five years. For a lens that's has already had something wrong with it. So why would I do that?

Every once in a while I check out the refurb page in the Nikon Store. I've bought a couple of lenses in the past during sales, etc. So right now they have a 500mm f4E listed for $9999. That's only a three percent discount versus a new one. And a 90 day warranty rather than five years. For a lens that's has already had something wrong with it. So why would I do that?
Def not a great deal but being refurbished doesn’t necessarily mean something was wrong with it. It could have been a return and sometimes overstock or closeout items are sold that way (not likely in the current stock shortage world we currently inhabit). But even if something was wrong by biying refurbished you’re getting a lens that has specifically been tested and fixed/aligned, etc. vs just rolling off the assembly line.

If you keep an eye on it, they have 10% off sales from time to time. That’s the time to buy there. With Easter coming up, my money would be on them having one by then. They usually post these sales towards the weekend.

Def not a great deal but being refurbished doesn’t necessarily mean something was wrong with it. It could have been a return and sometimes overstock or closeout items are sold that way (not likely in the current stock shortage world we currently inhabit). But even if something was wrong by biying refurbished you’re getting a lens that has specifically been tested and fixed/aligned, etc. vs just rolling off the assembly line.
Also, many "refurbs" are actually items pulled for Quality Control testing, there isn't necessarily anything wrong at all with them... though there is no way of knowing the circumstances of any particular item you might purchase. But, yes, that isn't a great deal. Neither is the Nikon $100 discount on a refurb Z6ii, btw.

I noticed similar things, but find the occasional good deal there. I’ve been watching the 45mm PC lens hoping to see it for a great deal. It seems the deals are only during certain times when they run a promotion which is normally emailed.

For 3% and 90 days, I'd pass, Best Buy gives you 10% and full warrantee for an open box item. I'd want 10/15% and a full 5 year warrantee.

Seems laughable to me. A decent price for a used/refurbished unit should be in the $7000-$8500 range. B&H has a couple for sale in this range, and you wouldn't have to pay tax.

While Nikon Corporate has basic warranties, the subsidiaries set their own time limits based on the laws of the areas they serve. Years ago (and maybe today) Canada had 2 years on bodies while Nikon USA has 1 year. The Nikon USA 5 year warranty for lenses was, to my knowledge, the longest. If you study the Nikon USA 5 year lens warranty it spells out that it is a 1 year warranty with an additional 4 if you register.
I personally find the 5 year warranty very useful as the majority of my lens failures have occurred between years 2 and 5, most AF and VR components (not much else to go wrong!) I just glad the lenses I bought before they dropped the extra 4 years still seem to be covered.

I thought that Nikon USA dropped down to a one-year warranty on all of its new cameras and lenses.
They did, only one year on new lenses in the USA.
You guys appear to be right. I knew they had discontinued the optional 5 year warranty but the five years used to be standard on the big primes and I assumed still was. But Nikon's warranty language now says "all cameras, lenses, and accessories" have a one year warranty in the USA. Still and all a three percent discount isn't enough to get my attention for a used high end item. When they have a ten percent discount sale? Well now with the warranty in mind it's at least in the ball park for consideration. For big primes that have been out for a while used prices historically run about 20-30 percent below new price. It boils down to a risk/reward decision.

You guys appear to be right. I knew they had discontinued the optional 5 year warranty but the five years used to be standard on the big primes and I assumed still was. But Nikon's warranty language now says "all cameras, lenses, and accessories" have a one year warranty in the USA. Still and all a three percent discount isn't enough to get my attention for a used high end item. When they have a ten percent discount sale? Well now with the warranty in mind it's at least in the ball park for consideration. For big primes that have been out for a while used prices historically run about 20-30 percent below new price. It boils down to a risk/reward decision.

I have only had a few second hand experiences (with friends) with Nikon's refurbished gear, and neither were that great. With Olympus, on the other hand, I have purchased a number of refurbished lenses and bodes and had great luck (although some forum members at mu43-com have reported a clunker or two). Oly used to offer a 30-day return privilege and also let you buy extended warranties (which were often discounted from time as well). And if you caught their 20% off outlet sales, you could get some amazing bargains. With the new ownership, I am not sure what they are or are not offering these days. So, I'd probably pass on what Nikon is offering, but then again, supplies are tight and if I needed a piece of gear and it was not available elsewhere, it is an option.

--Ken

My only refurbished purchase from Nikon was my 600 f/4E. It just happened to show up at the same time they had a 10% off sale. Since new ones were backordered with no estimate of when they might be available I bought it $9,962.96 (19%). It works as well as new from what I can tell since I never had a new one that is a bit subjective to say the least :)

Last edited:
My only refurbished purchase from Nikon was my 600 f/4E. It just happened to show up at the same time they had a 10% off sale. Since new ones were backordered with no estimate of when they might be available I bought it $9,962.96 (19%). It works as well as new from what I can tell since I never had a new one that is a bit subjective to say the least :)
Availability certainly factors into market price. At that level of discount I'd say you did good.

Another thing to consider, with these lenses only Nikon will be able to service them. I would be wary of any non-Nikon warranty without seeing the actual terms and conditions before I bought into it. I've seen used gear in places that offer 3rd party warranties of various lengths.

Another thing to consider, with these lenses only Nikon will be able to service them. I would be wary of any non-Nikon warranty without seeing the actual terms and conditions before I bought into it. I've seen used gear in places that offer 3rd party warranties of various lengths.

I bought a used Fuji XF10-25 f4 lens that was mint and 300GBP cheaper than a new one. I spoke to them regarding the warranty and they said if there was any issue with it, it would go back to Fuji for service/repair.

Grays of Westminster - the biggest Nikon dealer in the UK if not the world, use Fixation for all repairs and servicing and Fixation are fully authorised by Nikon

I keep checking Nikon refurb hoping to find a Z9 :) I checked yesterday with B&H and their best guess is mid May at the earliest since my oder was 10-28 but 10:30 pm est. and they are still working on earlier in the day. The brick and mortar store I normally buy from got me a D850 months before B&H would have but I got my oder in with them when it was released while the Nikon rep was in the store this time I was days after the release and so way down the line. Both B&H and the brick and mortar said they are continuing to get a lot of NPS orders.

I am pretty much on the other side of this "argument." Especially if you buy Nikon refurbs during a 10% off sale, the prices can be excellent. And it seems that lenses that are packaged as refurb have all been checked out and are definitely "within specs." I disagree with the assumption that refurb lenses have had "something wrong with them." Lenses get returned by buyers and then cannot be resold as brand new (for example). With one exception (discussed below), all of the refurbs I have bought from Nikon have appeared to be brand-new, shiny and unmarked. As for warranty, in my experience, usually if there is something warranty-related wrong with a camera lens you will find out pretty quickly. To make a liar of myself here, I recently had trouble with the autofocus mechanism on a Tamron 150-600mm zoom (G 2) that occurred within a year of the expiration of the six-year warranty (I bought it in 2016). So yes, length of warranty is valid consideration.

I purchased my 600mm f4 VR zoom as a refurb from Roberts. It was definitely not brand new, as it had some scuffs on it. But I felt good inasmuch as I knew it had been checked over and adjusted by Nikon to be sure it functioned as well as a new lens. The price was fair, quite a bit less than a brand new lens and I have had no trouble with it in the five years since I purchased it.

I am pretty much on the other side of this "argument." Especially if you buy Nikon refurbs during a 10% off sale, the prices can be excellent. And it seems that lenses that are packaged as refurb have all been checked out and are definitely "within specs." I disagree with the assumption that refurb lenses have had "something wrong with them." Lenses get returned by buyers and then cannot be resold as brand new (for example). With one exception (discussed below), all of the refurbs I have bought from Nikon have appeared to be brand-new, shiny and unmarked. As for warranty, in my experience, usually if there is something warranty-related wrong with a camera lens you will find out pretty quickly. To make a liar of myself here, I recently had trouble with the autofocus mechanism on a Tamron 150-600mm zoom (G 2) that occurred within a year of the expiration of the six-year warranty (I bought it in 2016). So yes, length of warranty is valid consideration.

I purchased my 600mm f4 VR zoom as a refurb from Roberts. It was definitely not brand new, as it had some scuffs on it. But I felt good inasmuch as I knew it had been checked over and adjusted by Nikon to be sure it functioned as well as a new lens. The price was fair, quite a bit less than a brand new lens and I have had no trouble with it in the five years since I purchased it.
Don't get me wrong. I've bought refurbished lenses. But not for a 3 percent discount.

I bought a used Fuji XF10-25 f4 lens that was mint and 300GBP cheaper than a new one. I spoke to them regarding the warranty and they said if there was any issue with it, it would go back to Fuji for service/repair.

Grays of Westminster - the biggest Nikon dealer in the UK if not the world, use Fixation for all repairs and servicing and Fixation are fully authorised by Nikon
The OP is in the USA and Nikon USA is the only service available for the newer exotics. I've called APS (Nkon authorized service center) and they say they can't service much of the current higher end gear and it has to be sent to Nikon.

The OP is in the USA and Nikon USA is the only service available for the newer exotics. I've called APS (Nkon authorized service center) and they say they can't service much of the current higher end gear and it has to be sent to Nikon.

I'm surprised. I knew OP was in the USA and used my experience as an example. I thought that there must be authorised service centres in the USA too.

I'm surprised. I knew OP was in the USA and used my experience as an example. I thought that there must be authorised service centres in the USA too.
There are authorized service centers here but Nikon has been lax in providing them with the equipment and training required to repair newer gear. When I needed to send my D5 in for repair out of warranty I called more than one "Authorized Service Center" from the Nikon USA website and all said the same thing, they couldn't work on it I had to send it to Nikon. Nikon USA has actually out-sourced most of the repairs to vendors they choose and it appears that part of the deal is that these places only work for Nikon USA and can't take in work directly from the public. Nikon Melville repairs now get sent to a location a town over. If you want to drop stuff in person, you have to drop it at Melville and they run it over to the repair center. Previous gear I sent to Melville came back from this other location and a different one in the Bronx. The Bronx outfit had a name I would not have associated with Nikon.

Back