Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It's very easy. In Resolve, select clip, click Stabilizer, click Camera Lock, then uncheck Zoom. It crops a little and there is a little danger of some perspective shift. For this scene, with the background square, there is no perspective to worry about. When is use old lenses, I leave at least 10% extra to allow for a deeper crop.

We don't know his intentions, but knowing that the lens breaths around 5-7% (look at the DR video), and not seeing any here, I'm certain he intentionally removed it.

Waiting for DCine or Gerald Undone to test, and I'll test it myself when I get it.

But again, very minor issue that can be planned for and fixed.
Excuse my videography naivety as I have never edited video. I was surprised that you could do this with a person in the video whilst moving around and keeping focus on said person and without it being an obvious post processing fix. I am also disappointed if the Korean reviewer did do some post process work in order to stop the focus breathing but didn't seem to mention it - the translation didn't seem to say that he did anything as far as I could see. If he did do post processing to fix the breathing, you should at least mention it. I also don't see why he would do that as it is not something that would then give him credence in future video reviews! I normally don't put much credence in reviewers I don't know and in many I do know anyway, this just reinforces that view. There are a few reputable Youtube type reviewers but most are not.

i haven’t watched the video, but it could be he simply does this as part of his workflow, the way we might not even think about cropping as it’s simply part of our workflow
You may be correct. However, if you are going to be a reviewer that is taken seriously, then you need to make sure you make no mistakes! :)

It would take a lot to convince me it's better than the Nikon 105 1.4. That for me is the ultimate portrait lens.
I agree to some extent, I used the 105 1.4 lens on both my D850 and D750 for portraits. Absolutely beautiful performance. Last f mount lens to go and I still regret it. The 135 may be as good or better but the focal length is a little too long for my studio work.

I just received mine last week and it is *stunning*, probably the best lens I have ever used. The bokeh is simply superb, sharpness wide open is amazing and the overall IQ as good as you'll get. Of course, these are just my opimions.

on Z8 all wide open.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
I am surprised at all the interest in the two new 135mm lenses introduced for the Z cameras. In the days of 35mm film cameras the 135mm focal length was by far the least popular and most photographers bought 85mm or 105mm focal length versions instead. For more than 105mm I have gone to the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom, particularly for use outdoors.

I just received mine last week and it is *stunning*, probably the best lens I have ever used. The bokeh is simply superb, sarpness wide open is amazing and the overall IQ as good as you'll get. Of course, these are just my opimions.

on Z8 all wide open.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Same here. Now I want a Z 105/1.4 S.

A few of the portraiture club members have the lens and love it, just can be a little tight in a studio shoot subject to the application and prefer the 50mm 85mm focal length in that application.

For myself i see the 135mm Plena as another tool fit for a need, its showing some new innovative design, bravo, and it has its place for certain, is it worth it, well that's up to you, its already dropped in price here in OZ.

To me longer focal length also adds to creating greater shallow DOF we can see this in position of the subject and in focal lengths 200, 400, 600, 800mm.
At shorter focal lengths like 35, 50, 85, 135 it needs to be done with more engineering i feel.

Ziess Leica, with all there manual 1.4, F2, primes really excel in this unique DOF and subject POP and get it from shorter focal length primes due to their unique lens designs, my 100 F2 Ziess Macro is excellent, dreamy background pop tack sharp, heavy as but for a purpose, i mean weight is of value in theses types of lenses, these manual primes are in cases very much sort after for video.

The Ziess Leica brand have always been sort after for this SDOF POP and back ground outcome, they have always been heavy, well built and optically magical, known for excelling especially from F4 to F1.4 which is their sweet spot, something i feel the big three are doing now better and better for them selves.

We used to go gaga over the number of pixels, now its a FPS race and tracking LOL, now there adding the trend of F stops 1.4, 1.8, 1.2, 0.95, and there is nothing wrong in that.

For myself i get very natural bokah and shallow depth of field from my 70-200 FL at F2.8 and its tack sharp making it more then fit for my purpose, i mean its not the same as the 135mm Plena wide open but adding distance in the mix really makes the 70-200 look very usable and very enjoyable.

For those with the need the Plena seems nice.

Being overpriced is not a surprise being Nikon, why because they can and seem to usually get away with it.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
The best 3 lenses optically to come out from Nikon in DSLRS is 200 F2, 105 1.4, 70-200 FL, to me the 105 1.4 gave amazing pop, isolated subject back ground look, awesome, i think the 135mm Plena seems to be from that stable in mirror less.

It seems like a brilliant lens just a pity about the breathing.

I can imagine this on a 61mp A7III LOL.

The best 3 lenses optically to come out from Nikon in DSLRS is 200 F2, 105 1.4, 70-200 FL, to me the 105 1.4 gave amazing pop, isolated subject back ground look, awesome, i think the 135mm Plena seems to be from that stable in mirror less.

It seems like a brilliant lens just a pity about the breathing.

I can imagine this on a 61mp A7III LOL.
It doesn't breath heavily, maybe 5%. Better than the 85/1.2 which I estimate at around 10%.

I just received mine last week and it is *stunning*, probably the best lens I have ever used. The bokeh is simply superb, sharpness wide open is amazing and the overall IQ as good as you'll get. Of course, these are just my opimions.

on Z8 all wide open.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
Great shots, Lance. Definitely getting one of these lenses once I get my northern safari out of the way (and paid for :) ). Cheers!

I love this lens and plan doing some auto capture with it. I used to take the 105Z with me on travels and now I am taking this. Yes, it’s a bit more of a beast but not that much. Here’s a few from a recent trip to the Porsche Museum which were transferred to my iPad with Snapbridge and saved as a 2mp image. This lens minimizes post work.

_MDH9986.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_mdh9985-jpeg.81071
_MDH9987.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• _MDH9985.jpeg
    _MDH9985.jpeg
    709.7 KB · Views: 246
I love this lens and plan doing some auto capture with it. I used to take the 105Z with me on travels and now I am taking this. Yes, it’s a bit more of a beast but not that much. Here’s a few from a recent trip to the Porsche Museum which were transferred to my iPad with Snapbridge and saved as a 2mp image. This lens minimizes post work.

View attachment 81070
_mdh9985-jpeg.81071
View attachment 81072
May i ask whats your feelings with the optical difference head to head compared to the 105Z, i know you prefer this 135 but is it a massive difference or just a slightly noticeable one.

Back