Nikon Rumors: Z8 and Z9 Firmware updates in December?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Still no sign of the phantom firmware. Despite being told I am wrong - it stubbornly refuses to appear.
Actually, part of me keeps hoping that by posting stuff about it not arriving will prompt a sudden Nikon update to appear. I hope I am wrong but it looks like an increasingly unlikely arrival for this year.

I am getting flashbacks to the Z6II firmware discussions of the long-rumored FW 2.0. Firmware is firmware when I can download and install it. :) That said, I do hope the Z8 gets the bird subject detection of the Z9 in not too long.
Yes, I was really missing it on my recent visit to Conowingo. I'm planning some trips to the West Coast and FL this winter, so I'm hoping that the FW arrives soon...

I am getting flashbacks to the Z6II firmware discussions of the long-rumored FW 2.0. Firmware is firmware when I can download and install it. :) That said, I do hope the Z8 gets the bird subject detection of the Z9 in not too long.
And they add it to Auto Capture because it's so good; that would simply Auto Capture a lot.

It's a potentially cool update, Pre Capture Raw is really the thing i care about but still won't be using it that often. 30fps Raw is 2nd and again I use that occasionally but for most things 20fps is plenty.

Either way. Noting on the update is going to improve my shooting and keeper rate that is consistently 90% or better.

I have no issue waiting for the update. Nikon will release any new FW when it's ready.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that the timeline for the release of the next fw is only marketing at this point, especially for the z8. With a new camera being announced in the next weeks, I guess Nikon is trying to cover the market and push sales of the existing cameras also playing with fw rumors/announcements. And it is indeed very difficult for me to decipher what it is best for them to do in this sense.
I would love to get on my Z8 the pre release raw and the improved AF with bird detection. Raw 30 fps would be nice to have but not a must. the rest, inc. auto capture, I dont give much of a ... :p
Let´s wait and see... not much else to do I guess.

For me the current FW on the Z9 is really good. Small changes and extra features aren’t something I desperately want.
If I look ahead and think about what I would really find useful it would be more AI. The option to have FW which could use AI to see the type of subject and switch to my preferred settings for me. (Birding or portrait or landscape or sports action, etc. )
My other request would be for Nikon to make the Z 9,8, FW operations the same. It would make it a more satisfying system.

I honestly believe that the timeline for the release of the next fw is only marketing at this point, especially for the z8. With a new camera being announced in the next weeks, I guess Nikon is trying to cover the market and push sales of the existing cameras also playing with fw rumors/announcements. And it is indeed very difficult for me to decipher what it is best for them to do in this sense.
I would love to get on my Z8 the pre release raw and the improved AF with bird detection. Raw 30 fps would be nice to have but not a must. the rest, inc. auto capture, I dont give much of a ... :p
Let´s wait and see... not much else to do I guess.
The only thing that is for sure coming to the Z8 is the Bird SD. Nikon's release on that was that it was coming some in 1st half 2024 which is any time up to June 30th. If 30fps Raw and Pre Capture Raw does indeed come to the Z9, I not so sure you will see that in the Z8 until Nikon says so. That extra 10fps will generate more heat and the Pre Capture more than likely will too. The Z8 already has heat dissipation issues in both video AND stills. I wouldn't be so sure it's a given they will added to the Z8.

Starting to get the feeling they will fork the Z9 and Z8 FW's and features a bit to keep the Flagship camera with the most features.

Last edited:
I think Nikon has been playing it pretty close to the vest these days. The last Z9 firmware update to 4.10 came out of the blue.

They also stopped updating their lens map. The Z 600mm f 6.3 PF was not foreshadowed.

I have no problem if they make a business decision to keep their competitive plans secret.

I am very pleased with Nikon's new equipment and firmware. They are doing an excellent job.

I do wish they were more transparent on delivery schedules for backordered equipment. Many of us have been frustrated by interminable waits with no straight answer on what we can expect.

Back