Nikon Rumors: Z8 and Z9 Firmware updates in December?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Even the official Nikon press release for the Z9 FW said the Z8 FW would be "first half of 2024".
We are only on Jan 15th. Check back in on June 30th and then it would be fair to voice concerns over it never coming.
But if we are in the Southern Hemisphere isn't it already June 30th. That's what my Z9 GPS is telling me. :ROFLMAO::coffee:

The Nikon rep I work with told me it was happening, just "sometime in the first half of 2024".
Call me impatient and enthusiastic for BIF for 2024. Recently, I had a beautiful perigrine gracing me for repeated flyovers and lamented over the many OOF images where the Z8 grabbed the wing, feet, and anything but the eye in spite of the bird being large in the frame (not to mention my recent frustration at Conowingo).

I would like to see the Z8 FW update with bird AF come to the Z8 sooner rather than later.

However, as I understand it, Nikon has publicly stated that this update will come to the Z8 in the first half of this year. From my perspective that that puts us Z8 users in a much better position than the users of the Z6II (myself included until recently) who have long hoped for FW that Nikon never announced. So I try to be patient.

Frustrating as it is, I really cannot see why you need to hang your hat on the Z8 and Z9 updates, we seemingly get wound up over firmware when we should be enjoying the cameras as is, anything else is a bonus. In Nikon defence they never said anything other than the New Year with regard to the Z8 additional subject detection modes, but you must also factor in keeping your Z9 customers happy and ensuring there is enough of a difference between models to have spent money on. Otherwise any future Z9 replacement won't sell as everyone waits for the cheaper versions to hit the streets. Yes it was more complex than that, but its only the 15th Jan I am guessing at the end of Jan for the Z8 but its just a guess based on previous releases.

I can understand the impatience of Z8 owners. I have been shooting my Z9 with my photo partner who has the Z8.

The bird subject ID is a huge advance in AF technology, it works in the Z9 and it has been promised for the Z8. Having to wait this long is understandably frustrating.

I am sure it also affects future purchase decisions.

I have been giving thought to getting another camera body. to work as a dual camera setup with my Z9. While Z8 is a natural association, the though of having to deal with significant difference in capability is causing me to rethink what I should do.

I’m not sure anyone should make a camera body decision until we see what’s release next. There is going to be a lot of should I buy this or should I buy that between the Z8 and the Z6iii or whatever it’s called.

Call me impatient and enthusiastic for BIF for 2024. Recently, I had a beautiful perigrine gracing me for repeated flyovers and lamented over the many OOF images where the Z8 grabbed the wing, feet, and anything but the eye in spite of the bird being large in the frame (not to mention my recent frustration at Conowingo).
On the Z8, Isn’t there an option for an auto focus mode similar to group or dynamic ? You could opt for that in the meantime.

On the Z8, Isn’t there an option for an auto focus mode similar to group or dynamic ? You could opt for that in the meantime.
The reality is that the eye recognition for BIF (and those with necks in particular) via the "animal" setting on the Z8 is not that good, regardless of the af mode used.

I can understand the impatience of Z8 owners. I have been shooting my Z9 with my photo partner who has the Z8.

The bird subject ID is a huge advance in AF technology, it works in the Z9 and it has been promised for the Z8. Having to wait this long is understandably frustrating.

I am sure it also affects future purchase decisions.

I have been giving thought to getting another camera body. to work as a dual camera setup with my Z9. While Z8 is a natural association, the though of having to deal with significant difference in capability is causing me to rethink what I should do.

Yep, right now the Z9 is a notably better camera for birds. The Z8 does okay with animal detection but the Z9 bird detection seems damn near fool proof.
Let's be grateful that Nikon announced Bird SD is coming to the Z8. They could have kept it a secret until release but I suspect they wanted it known to help Z8 sales.

I suspect the Z8 update will be more than just adding Bird SD....what else they add remains to be seen.....(I hope Nikon is busy working on improving Animal detection as well.)

Last edited:
It seems to me that Nikon might want to wait to release bird detection closer to the time when bird photography activity may be more robust. I’m not seeing the dead of winter as an optimal time to rouse their market when, perhaps, most are likely more focused on more mundane concerns like survival…

Wouldn’t hurt my feelings, though, if I could get that Z8 update sooner than later.

I have been using bird subject detection since it came out I use it all the time when chasing birds and it generally works well. As good as it is there is always room for improvement and that is likely to happen as AI is increasingly used to automate decisions that are impossible for the human brain to make quickly.

It is fair to state that autofocus remains a key competitive point in the industry. As Steve Perry pointed out in a recent video, at this moment Nikon has taken the lead in the bird photography area but that could change back tomorrow.

The competition would dictate the need for continuing improvement. I am hopeful the amount of delay in getting out new firmware would mean Nikon is planning significant further advances for both the Z9 and Z8.

Of course the other issue is whether limits in the hardware capability are near or have been reached. The Z9 of course has been out for a few years. I do not know enough about the technology to venture an opinion.

I think generally the next year to 18 months is going to be interesting as camera manufacturers unveil the next steps in firmware and software.

I for one have been considering adding another camera body to the arsenal. I think I will wait to see what develops.

It seems to me that Nikon might want to wait to release bird detection closer to the time when bird photography activity may be more robust. I’m not seeing the dead of winter as an optimal time to rouse their market when, perhaps, most are likely more focused on more mundane concerns like survival…

Wouldn’t hurt my feelings, though, if I could get that Z8 update sooner than later.
Southern hemisphere and equatorial users could use it. And there are some subjects in the winter. But they’ll release it when they release it. It seems to work well enough for me now. Better than my previous cameras.

Southern hemisphere and equatorial users could use it. And there are some subjects in the winter. But they’ll release it when they release it. It seems to work well enough for me now. Better than my previous cameras.
Didn’t mean to short my southern brothers and sisters, but I’m going to venture that the great majority of this market is north of the Tropic of Cancer. :)

I’ve been a technology first-adopter (how come we aren’t treated as well as first-responders, btw???) since the 80s, so you can be sure I’m jonesing for this firmware update as much, or more, than most. And, I’m aware that my current kit is already light years beyond what I worked with even ten years ago.

Didn’t mean to short my southern brothers and sisters, but I’m going to venture that the great majority of this market is north of the Tropic of Cancer. :)

I’ve been a technology first-adopter (how come we aren’t treated as well as first-responders, btw???) since the 80s, so you can be sure I’m jonesing for this firmware update as much, or more, than most.

China, Japan and the US account for 75% of shipments. In that order, BTW.

Geography factoid: 7/8s of the world’s population live north of the equator. I think it’s safe to say that, from a socio-economic pov, an even greater proportion of Nikon’s customers live there too. Forgive the diversion…

Put it this way,
The Z8 is NOT a mini Z9 without the Bird detection.
The current Animal AF for birds, isn’t up to par. I feel, withholding the Bird AF from the Z8 is on purpose.

Regarding the price difference, there are other factors to justify the price difference. It doesn’t have to be AF performance.

My 2 cents

Back