Nikon users-what photographer/bloggers to follow going forward?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have all of Steve's books (except the A1 one), watched all of his videos, and think he is one of the best, if not the best, at explaining how to get better wildlife images. Steve, however, has now expressed a preference for Sony gear (compared to the Z9 "the A1 is the best for my needs," "the Sony 600 lens is the best 600 I have used," etc.) in his comments and articles. Although I expect he will continue to test Nikon gear (Z9 book on the way), his heart and time will probably be focused on Sony gear. It will be hard for him to give us as many good tips about using Nikon gear as he has in the past since he won't be primarily using Nikon gear. Tom Hogan provides good info, but not in the way that Steve does. I have also followed Mark Smith, whose videos I find inspiring, but he has also switched to Sony. Is there anyone else out who is still primarily using Nikon gear and gives good info and tips on wildlife photography?

Steve still has a ton of knowledge on the Z system and the fact that he is taking the time to update the exposure book is good thing. Who knows firmware 2.0 and 800mm PF might get him to change back. ;-) Either way he still had a ton of information that applies to wildlife photography in general. May have to find someone else for gear info if he does completely move on from Nikon but there are plenty of others on You Tube for that. Especially with the popularity of the Z9. If you search You Tube for Nikon Z9 you will see a lot of others with information. Keep in mind as Steve has said he tends to throughly test things before reviewing where others are quick to throw something up to get on the early buzz.
I'm sure lot of wildlife photographers moved to Sony when A1 came out since Nikon didn't have anything in ball park to it. Now that they do I'm sure it will spawn up a bunch of users looking to create a new channel to share.

I follow Nigel Danson and his contemporaries, Mads Iverson, Alyn Wallace, others. For Africa, Pangolian is entertaining. Having never been to Africa I have no idea how useful their postings really are.
Just go to YouTube, searching ‘Photography’ will get you lots of hits. Good luck sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I have all of Steve's books (except the A1 one), watched all of his videos, and think he is one of the best, if not the best, at explaining how to get better wildlife images. Steve, however, has now expressed a preference for Sony gear (compared to the Z9 "the A1 is the best for my needs," "the Sony 600 lens is the best 600 I have used," etc.) in his comments and articles. Although I expect he will continue to test Nikon gear (Z9 book on the way), his heart and time will probably be focused on Sony gear. It will be hard for him to give us as many good tips about using Nikon gear as he has in the past since he won't be primarily using Nikon gear. Tom Hogan provides good info, but not in the way that Steve does. I have also followed Mark Smith, whose videos I find inspiring, but he has also switched to Sony. Is there anyone else out who is still primarily using Nikon gear and gives good info and tips on wildlife photography?

maybe I am getting internet-jaded but am I the only one who finds this post suspicious? New member, First post ever, on Steve’s own forum, to ask who else to get advice from because Steve won’t be doing a good job on Nikon going forward (says who?) when Steve himself has indicated he will focus on Nikon and Sony and we all know the standard he holds himself to…

If not ill-intentioned, it’s at least callous.

Nikon shooters - don't give up on me yet! I haven't given up on you :)
For what it's worth Steve, I've been "following" you (I hate that phrase, sounds like stalking) since I started getting serious in wildlife and nature photography. One of the first books I read on the topic was your "Stunning Wildlife Photography" book. I don't read books, articles or watch videos of any photographers because of the gear they carry. I do so because of the quality of their work. The fact you wrote a couple books about Nikon equipment I used but I was interested in your work before that. I have read books from others like Art Wolfe, John Shaw, John Gerlach, Brenda Tharp and Others. I watch several YouTube channels. I don't care what equipment one is using unless I'm looking for some specific setting or how to use some specific feature on my camera. Otherwise, I'm more interested in technique, and even more interested in thought process, why did the photographer capture that image? Those questions help me in my photography a whole lot more than what gear someone uses. As cliche as it sounds, I think a good photographer can create stunning images with almost any decent camera.

Just my $.02 worth on the topic.

For what it's worth Steve, I've been "following" you (I hate that phrase, sounds like stalking) since I started getting serious in wildlife and nature photography. One of the first books I read on the topic was your "Stunning Wildlife Photography" book. I don't read books, articles or watch videos of any photographers because of the gear they carry. I do so because of the quality of their work. The fact you wrote a couple books about Nikon equipment I used but I was interested in your work before that. I have read books from others like Art Wolfe, John Shaw, John Gerlach, Brenda Tharp and Others. I watch several YouTube channels. I don't care what equipment one is using unless I'm looking for some specific setting or how to use some specific feature on my camera. Otherwise, I'm more interested in technique, and even more interested in thought process, why did the photographer capture that image? Those questions help me in my photography a whole lot more than what gear someone uses. As cliche as it sounds, I think a good photographer can create stunning images with almost any decent camera.

Just my $.02 worth on the topic.
Thank you!
I agree 100% - the brand has very little to do with great photography.

maybe I am getting internet-jaded but am I the only one who finds this post suspicious? New member, First post ever, on Steve’s own forum, to ask who else to get advice from because Steve won’t be doing a good job on Nikon going forward (says who?) when Steve himself has indicated he will focus on Nikon and Sony and we all know the standard he holds himself to…

If not ill-intentioned, it’s at least callous.
I didn't mean for it to be callous, and it certain was not ill-intentioned. I am truly interested in recommendations for photographers who mainly use Nikon gear and provide instruction like Steve has done. Obviously I can google Nikon and wildlife photography but there is a lot of useless stuff out there and I was looking for recommendations from people that use this site. Some have, kindly, already done so. Thank you to them. I am sticking with Steve and hope that he can pull off keeping up with his great tips for two different systems. In the meantime I don't see any problem with seeking out other teaching photographers. Steve himself probably gets his info from various sources and I don't think he is offended or surprised that some people who follow him may want to follow others. I agree that people can make great images with any gear (Steve's 80% rule) but I am one who needs help. For example, I need help in understanding the auto focus choices in the gear I have, and when to use which one. This help is specific to the gear I have and may be best provided by someone that uses my gear full-time. As for my post being suspicious, I have been following Steve and this forum for years, but never had a reason to post until now. Photographers I respect have moved from Nikon to Sony. That is disconcerting to some of us that have a lot of Nikon gear. This movement to Sony led to my question-what good teaching photographers are sticking with Nikon? I thought the answers to my question might be useful to many. I didn't think Steve would mind. It might actually provoke some good discussion. And, how else could I ask the question without making my first post?

When I bought Steve’s “Secrets to Stunning Wildlife Photography“ book, I wasn’t a Nikon shooter. Most of the tips and techniques, if not all of them, are not gear dependent. His book on Nikon Mirrorless AF is the first and only gear specific book I’ve purchased so far. Other than looking for tips on how to configure some settings, everything else comes down to technique.

Regarding other Nikon shooters I follow that also teach, it’s basically Nigel Danson. He focuses on landscapes but I also enjoy his approach. I bought one of his landscape courses. I didn’t finish it yet, but I don’t recall anything being Nikon specific. Steve Matthies shoots Nikon but doesn’t do many teaching videos. Other than that, I think everyone else I follow shoots something different. It doesn’t matter though because the technique is almost always the same. I find Steve’s teaching information to be among the best and would still be here regardless of what he is shooting.

One thing I learned in life, is that all manufactures all run highs and lows. Nikon Z9 lows aren't that low and Sony is not that much higher. and in 6 months they be close to the same. My goal out of this forum is to see good photos, give and receive good comment on those pictures, In order to improve my own skills. Someone once said 90% of a picture is what's behind the Camera\lens,

Last edited:
First thought... It really doesn't matter what system you shoot when you're talking about technique, not in the slightest. Steve's experience is so wide that listening to him or anyone else with that level of experience is wise.

If you want tech articles then it probably doesn't really matter what the niche of photography is. You can learn a lot from landscape photographers, studio photographers, sports, portrait, etc. The buttons and wheels do the same thing regardless, and some of the techniques have cross over applications.

That being said, I read/listen to lots of photographers, among my favorites:

1. Steve Mathias
2. Morten Hilmer (for the scale of the adventures if nothing else, but still a lot of interesting points between the lines)
3. Bayou Josh
4. Recently some of the OM system folks. I got started because a Canon bird photographer I like (Tim Boyer) switched to Olympus.
5. Charles Glazer
6. Wild and Exposed Podcast
7. NANPA webinars are great sources as well as the articles on the members page.

Back