Nikon Z 24-120 S vs Nikon Z 24-200

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks again for everyone taking time and providing their input. I am probably going to purchase the 24-120 as I am planning to sell the 200-500 and put toward purchase of the 100-400 or a similiar Z lens.
Also, I have never purchased camera equipment online, purcahsed my current set up from a local camera store ( Johnson PhotoImaging Bradenton FL) I recently moved and there are no local camera stores. Any suggestions on online camera stores? I know of B&H and Adorama but any experience purchasing from Roberts in Indy? Any difference in customer service with B&H vs Adorama?
I switched from B&H and Adorama and have stayed local in Idaho at Perfect Light Camera in Idaho Falls that is a 5 hour drive but I call and order and they ship for free and same price as on line.

I have also ordered from other on line stores that have the same prices and in many cases no sales tax for shipping to Idaho. It depends on where you live. I have used Mike's Camera, Bedford, Pro Cam and Samy's where I got Z9, Z6II, z800pf, z70-200 and more. During this shortage and all were good to deal with. They frequently get things to me far faster than B&H which I use for specialty items I can not get elsewhere. Nikon USA direct is also an option and they have a list of authorized Nikon Dealers to help you avoid gray market products.

I switched from B&H and Adorama and have stayed local in Idaho at Perfect Light Camera in Idaho Falls that is a 5 hour drive but I call and order and they ship for free and same price as on line.

I have also ordered from other on line stores that have the same prices and in many cases no sales tax for shipping to Idaho. It depends on where you live. I have used Mike's Camera, Bedford, Pro Cam and Samy's where I got Z9, Z6II, z800pf, z70-200 and more. During this shortage and all were good to deal with. They frequently get things to me far faster than B&H which I use for specialty items I can not get elsewhere. Nikon USA direct is also an option and they have a list of authorized Nikon Dealers to help you avoid gray market products.
Thank you, Currently live in New Mexico, will checkout those stores you listed.

Thanks again for everyone taking time and providing their input. I am probably going to purchase the 24-120 as I am planning to sell the 200-500 and put toward purchase of the 100-400 or a similiar Z lens.
Also, I have never purchased camera equipment online, purcahsed my current set up from a local camera store ( Johnson PhotoImaging Bradenton FL) I recently moved and there are no local camera stores. Any suggestions on online camera stores? I know of B&H and Adorama but any experience purchasing from Roberts in Indy? Any difference in customer service with B&H vs Adorama?
I got the 24-120 mm S lens last month. Have taken it on two trips since then and like it a lot. I also have the 24-70 f4 and 24-70 f2.8 S lenses. Will keep the f2.8 and sell the f4 lens — the f4 lens is a nice lens and I have taken a number of photos with it that I like a lot. But I don’t think I will use it much, now that I have the 24-120.

If you are planning to get the 100-400 mm S zoom, the 24-120 mm lens makes a very nice 2 lens set with the 100-400 mm lens. You cover the range from 24 mm to 400 and they use the same 77 mm filter size, useful for polarizers and NDs. The 24-200 mm lens would also cover the same range with the 100-400 mm lens, but it takes 67 mm filters.

The 24-120 also has a larger maximum reproduction ratio (0.39) compared to the 24-200 (0.28).

I have been tempted by the 24-200 mm lens. Might still get it. If I want a one-lens solution for a particular outing, it could be very nice too.

You’ll enjoy the 100-400 from all the positive moments I e seen. If you use it with the 1.4x teleconverter you’ll be at 140-560, a good match to your 200-500 but improved IQ and a lot lighter.

B&H has good service. Adorama not so much.
Both are usually overwhelmed with orders they cant fulfil.
A good local camera shop can often be a better choice.
I didn't use NPS but my local shop received a Z9 for me on Dec 24th last year.
I would have bought a 100-400mm Z lens but I'm not a fan of variable aperture lenses so I'm waiting for the 200-600mm Z lens on the roadmap before I decide...🦘

I would have bought a 100-400mm Z lens but I'm not a fan of variable aperture lenses so I'm waiting for the 200-600mm Z lens on the roadmap before I decide...🦘
can you explain the variable aperture comment? seems like in the past variable aperture might be an indication of quality, not on the s-line lenses. also you can always dial in f/5.6 and it’s no longer “variable”?

I am late to the party, but hope my input will still help.
I recently sold the 200-500 mm and replaced it with the 500 PF. Amazing lens! never looked back. It works flawlessly on my D850 and quite well with the FTZ adapter on my Z50. If you are only a z6ii user (no DSLR) then I would recommend either the 400mm f4.5 (seems to be a great lens) or wait for the 200-600mm (since all Z lenses have been so far better than their F equivalent).

After lots of research and recently the chance to test my friend's lenses, I went for the 24-120 S. Yes it doesn't have VR and the reach of 200mm, but it had superb quality, particularly on the edges of the frame (important for Landscape), has less distortion (particularly at 24mm) and the semi-macro capabilities is a big plus.. all in 1 lens! Yes it is more expensive, but you do get S built quality and weather sealing in a compact lens.

I just don't know if i will be selling my 24-70 f4... as I assume it will only collect dust.

I just don't know if i will be selling my 24-70 f4... as I assume it will only collect dust.
I kept the 24-70mm F/4 after getting the 24-120mm as I sometimes want a second camera with that focal length for video and the small size of it overall can be nice for travel or going out with family or friends. On occasion I might also let someone use a camera while out shooting and it’s a convenient focal length for that.

Lets be frank the 24-200 is junk (soft from end to end) and the 24-120/4.0 is awesome. Yes the 24-70/2.8S extraordinary.
However, 99% of travel shots are covered by 24-120. I am happy to travel with this one lens.
If you want more reach then I would suggest buying another lens to take you out much further.

I suggest you look at Ricci's comparison vid

Last edited:
Junk is rather harsh. I bought the z24-200 as as the time I was going on a trip where I’d be jumping in and out of zodiacs…my z24-70/4 and z70-200/2.8 were simply too heavy.
overall, tne z24-200 performed really well and as most of my images were destined for social media, they were quite sharp enough.
if one is budget constrained, or otherwise, it’s not a bad choice at all.

Going on a trip to New Mexico next month. I am consideing renting the Z 24-120 before I decide to pruchase. Off topic, any recommendations for another lens to rent for wildlife, currently have only the Nikon 200-500. Thanks again for the feedback.

I have both lenses as the 24-200 came out before the 24-120. They serve different purposes. For travel where I only want one lens the 24-200 fits the bill. If I am local and want short and long I go with 24-120 and 70-200 or 400 4.5 depending on what I’m doing.

Going on a trip to New Mexico next month. I am consideing renting the Z 24-120 before I decide to pruchase. Off topic, any recommendations for another lens to rent for wildlife, currently have only the Nikon 200-500. Thanks again for the feedback.
What type of wildlife? Mammals different lens need for me than small birds (my priority). I got a bad copy but after Nikon worked on ti the 3rd time I used the 200-500 in Africa and it did well. I used it on D4S and D500. Right after I got back from Africa I replaced it with Sigma 150-600 Sport and what was my primary birding and wildlife lens for several years a Tamron 150-600 G2.

I use the Z24-120 on my Z6II for indoor and outdoor events, scenic, landscape etc.. I have used the Z100-400 on my Z6II and it is a great lens but a not a long enough focal length form my primary photograpic needs. I am a birder and that makes up the majority of my photography so the Z800mm is the lens used on my Z9 the majority of the time. In the winter on flocks of waterfowl or at closer ranges on waterfowl and winter birds the Z100-400 will get more use on the Z9.

My wife uses the Z400 f/4.5 on her Z50 and likes it a lot. If she wants variable focal length she uses a Tamron 100-400 or a Tamron 18-400 (a way better than it should be lens) I even used it on a D850. She does not use the Z100-400 because it is to heavy for her.

Last edited:
Mammals and landscape, Z6ii camera body.
I realized after I first answered that this was from you and that you had Z6II so I edited. My response. If I was targeting mammals with the Z6II I would use Z100-400. If I had no space resrtirctions I would also thow in my Z70-200 to go along with the Z24-120 and even borrow my wifes Z400 f/4.5 if she was not using it :)

I use the 24-120 f4 and 24-200. Calling the 24-200 JUNK is simply wrong, it's a nice walk about lens,. Mine does have slight vignetting at 24mm on left side of frame only, but makes sharp images. The 24-120 is best of the two, for sure.

I realized after I first answered that this was from you and that you had Z6II so I edited. My response. If I was targeting mammals with the Z6II I would use Z100-400. If I had no space resrtirctions I would also thow in my Z70-200 to go along with the Z24-120 and even borrow my wifes Z400 f/4.5 if she was not using it :)
Thank you, Z 24-120 and Z 400 f/4.5 consider I have space restrictions, may be the way to go.

Thank you, Z 24-120 and Z 400 f/4.5 consider I have space restrictions, may be the way to go.
The Z400 f/4.5 is a cool lens it's only drawback it that it is a fixed focal length. My wife loves it besides fast focus and great images it is light and compact and she is liking the control ring to adjust EV more and more ( of course the Z100-400 has that). On my wifes DX format Z50 it is effectively a 600mm so at the focal length I used to use for birds on D4S, D850 and D6.

Last edited:
Junk is rather harsh. I bought the z24-200 as as the time I was going on a trip where I’d be jumping in and out of zodiacs…my z24-70/4 and z70-200/2.8 were simply too heavy.
overall, tne z24-200 performed really well and as most of my images were destined for social media, they were quite sharp enough.
if one is budget constrained, or otherwise, it’s not a bad choice at all.
I agree…my 24-200 is the travel lens when I only want to carry one. I thought about getting the better IQ 24-120 instead…but then you're pretty much out of luck for anything resembling wildlife. And since my output goes to screen for the blog…there is precious little difference after export to 1024 wide for the blog between it, my 500PF, and both the 60-200 and 100-400 Z mounts…and what difference I do see is really just different and not better/worse…and it is a very nice single lens to do pretty much everything on non photo travel. Still might buy the 24-120 eventually though…

I owned both lenses but kept the Z 24-120mm S F4 - the best midrange lens I ever had! It has become my bred-and-butter lens, especially for landscape on hiking trips in our Swiss Alps. The Z 24-200 is not bad at all considering the huge range it covers, but the rendering is not on the same level as the 24-120mm, which is faster and can replace a macro lens on many occasions.

comparing two Nikon lenses lenses with different focal types: Nikon Z 24-120mm F4 S is a Standard Zoom lens with a 24-120mm focal range and a max aperture of F4 whereas Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR is a SuperZoom lens with a 24-200mm focal range and max aperture of F4-6.3.

comparing two Nikon lenses lenses with different focal types: Nikon Z 24-120mm F4 S is a Standard Zoom lens with a 24-120mm focal range and a max aperture of F4 whereas Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR is a SuperZoom lens with a 24-200mm focal range and max aperture of F4-6.3.
There are often questions as to which one of these zooms to buy. The 24-200 is a bargain, but I believe the same of the 24-120 f4S

The 24-200 held up well against the S Line lens. So they made an invaluable comparison for many of us, and equally comparing the 50 f1.8S, which is a brutal challenge for a 5X zoom. Yet again it's most valid for those who own both but want to understand more in selecting a travel kit etc.

This comparison complements Thom Hogan's reviews of the 2 zooms

Last edited:
For me the choice is simple - I dont like variable aperture lenses.
The small extra reach of the 24-200 doesn't compensate for being a bit softer unless you really need the extra reach...🦘

Back