Nikon Z 24-120f4 S lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gaduf

I'm considering purchasing the Z8 and trading in my 24-120f4G VR Lens for the new Z 24-120S lens.
Are any of you using the new Z equivalent and what are your findings in terms of performance?
I have seen some mixed reviews on the internet.
Gavin

Here is a thread on it:

I have a really great selection of Z lenses. Last fall, we did a cruise - New York then up the east coast to Boston, continuing up to the St Lawrence river and south to Quebec then finally Montreal. I took ONLY the z24-120mm F4 S and it really was perfect. The fall colours, the cities, the parks, etc etc etc . Wonderful lens. I had the 24-70/4, and while I had it my 70-200 was my go anywhere lens. Now its the 24-120.

Here is a thread on it:

Many thanks Nimi,
This thread has fully answered my queries,
Regards
Gavin

I have a really great selection of Z lenses. Last fall, we did a cruise - New York then up the east coast to Boston, continuing up to the St Lawrence river and south to Quebec then finally Montreal. I took ONLY the z24-120mm F4 S and it really was perfect. The fall colours, the cities, the parks, etc etc etc . Wonderful lens. I had the 24-70/4, and while I had it my 70-200 was my go anywhere lens. Now its the 24-120.
Appreciate your feedback Patrick,
Following your response and all the others I have decided to go for the Z24-120 S lens,
Regards,
Gavin

I really like the Z 24-120mm. After a few outings I sold my Z 24-70 f/4.0

On an overseas trip earlier this year I used it as a general purpose lens with my Z 6II

#1 I used it for closeup photography
52691902276_5500229c1c_b.jpg

#2 Landscapes
52701717851_2b8bd8b14e_b.jpg

#3 And while photographing fungi this (New Zealand) North Island Robin came if for a look
52692258299_7433549f9a_b.jpg

I really like it and it’s my most used non wildlife lens. I was hesitant to get it based on reviews of the f mount version and waited to order until after it was out for a while. I’ve been very happy with it. The only somewhat negative review of it I saw said the corners aren’t as good as the other Z lenses in a comparison by Thomas Heaton. Though I do wonder if there are some variations in copies of it or if I just haven’t noticed it.

I actually sold my 24-120 g version to get the 16-80 Dx variant which, IMO was optically better and definitely smaller and lighter. I eventually sold it as well and got the 24-70/2.8E which I really liked. But when I decided to go Mirrorless I preordered the S version (along with the 100-400 S) when I preordered my Z9. I'm not one bit sorry as it is my walk around and do-everything lens.

I really like the Z 24-120mm. After a few outings I sold my Z 24-70 f/4.0

On an overseas trip earlier this year I used it as a general purpose lens with my Z 6II

#1 I used it for closeup photography
52691902276_5500229c1c_b.jpg

#2 Landscapes
52701717851_2b8bd8b14e_b.jpg

#3 And while photographing fungi this (New Zealand) North Island Robin came if for a look
52692258299_7433549f9a_b.jpg
Many thanks for the feedback and for sharing the images,
Regards,
Gavin

I really like it and it’s my most used non wildlife lens. I was hesitant to get it based on reviews of the f mount version and waited to order until after it was out for a while. I’ve been very happy with it. The only somewhat negative review of it I saw said the corners aren’t as good as the other Z lenses in a comparison by Thomas Heaton. Though I do wonder if there are some variations in copies of it or if I just haven’t noticed it.
Appreciate your feedback Brian,
Thanks for the heads up,
Gavin

I actually sold my 24-120 g version to get the 16-80 Dx variant which, IMO was optically better and definitely smaller and lighter. I eventually sold it as well and got the 24-70/2.8E which I really liked. But when I decided to go Mirrorless I preordered the S version (along with the 100-400 S) when I preordered my Z9. I'm not one bit sorry as it is my walk around and do-everything lens.
Thanks Geoff!
Gavin

Back