Nikon Z 24-120f4 S lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had the 24-120 G version with my older DSLR's and liked the lens for travel convenience but was never really "wowed" by the performance, it was mostly for the convenience. I bought the Z6 kit with 24-70 because I wanted a native lens while I used the FTZ with my other F mount lenses, I did not think I'd use a 24-70 f/4 that much, but every time I did use it I was pleasantly surprised with the IQ, jump forward a few years and I've sold most of my F mount lenses and replaced with Z. The only F mounts I have left are the 60mm f/2.8 macro, the 105mm f/1.4E and the 70-200 f/4G, I am currently selling the 70-200 f/4 as I'm mostly using the 70-200 f/2.8 S now, we continue to keep the 105E because there is nothing else like it and even though AF is somewhat slow it makes a superb portrait lens with beautiful rendering and I will likely keep the 60mm macro until I finish capturing all my slides using the Nikon ES-1 slide adapter. With that redundant information out of the way, I decided to jump on the Z8 bandwagon last month and in doing so thought it would be time to upgrade to the 24-120 f/4 lens after hearing rave reviews (as seen above as well) and I can say so far the 24-120 is every bit as good as the 24-70 with the benefit of the additional 50mm of reach. The one thing I do notice is that the lens does vignette in the corners more than the 24-70 but some tweaks in PP are pretty easy to fix when needed.

Here's a couple shots of our local blue heron "Fred"
20230608_Blue_Heron_Navarre_001.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
20230608_Blue_Heron_Navarre_003.jpg

Here's a shot of a black skimmer, fading light and the Z8 with 24-120 f/4 had little issue staying locked on with AF even though the bird was pretty small in the frame and lots of background distraction.
20230608_Black_Skimmer_Navarre_003.jpg

I had the 24-120 G version with my older DSLR's and liked the lens for travel convenience but was never really "wowed" by the performance, it was mostly for the convenience. I bought the Z6 kit with 24-70 because I wanted a native lens while I used the FTZ with my other F mount lenses, I did not think I'd use a 24-70 f/4 that much, but every time I did use it I was pleasantly surprised with the IQ, jump forward a few years and I've sold most of my F mount lenses and replaced with Z. The only F mounts I have left are the 60mm f/2.8 macro, the 105mm f/1.4E and the 70-200 f/4G, I am currently selling the 70-200 f/4 as I'm mostly using the 70-200 f/2.8 S now, we continue to keep the 105E because there is nothing else like it and even though AF is somewhat slow it makes a superb portrait lens with beautiful rendering and I will likely keep the 60mm macro until I finish capturing all my slides using the Nikon ES-1 slide adapter. With that redundant information out of the way, I decided to jump on the Z8 bandwagon last month and in doing so thought it would be time to upgrade to the 24-120 f/4 lens after hearing rave reviews (as seen above as well) and I can say so far the 24-120 is every bit as good as the 24-70 with the benefit of the additional 50mm of reach. The one thing I do notice is that the lens does vignette in the corners more than the 24-70 but some tweaks in PP are pretty easy to fix when needed.

Here's a couple shots of our local blue heron "Fred"
View attachment 64272View attachment 64273

Here's a shot of a black skimmer, fading light and the Z8 with 24-120 f/4 had little issue staying locked on with AF even though the bird was pretty small in the frame and lots of background distraction.
View attachment 64274
Hi Bill,
Many thanks for the detailed feedback.
I currently have the Fmount G version and like you have had mixed results .
You have certainly confirmed the need to make the change to the Z version.
Regards,
Gavin

Have the 24-120 excellent lens, also recently had purchased the Z 100-400 before the announcement of the Z 180-600, Luckily i had the option to return, within the 14 day period, for the the 180-600, thought the 24-120 and 180-160 would be the best lens combo for my situation.

Just buy it!

I think the case could be made that it's the best and most useful general purpose, do everything, lens Nikon has ever made. Undeniably sharp throughout the range at any aperture, MFD makes it almost a macro lens...in fact for the product photography (mostly small electronic products) I do, I've started using the 24-120 instead of a 105 f2.8 G F-mount macro lens I kept when I sold my DSLR's. Nice having the zoom capability and focus stacking works like a charm on it.

I owned what I considered to be an outstanding copy of the F-mount 24-120G and it was my most used, general purpose lens on a D800 and later a D850, so when I ordered a Z9 a few days after launch, the Z version was part of the order...and it arrived in December only to sit on the shelf until the Z9 arrived in April. Likewise, it's my most used lens on the Z9 and I'm sure it will spend time on both the Z9 and now the Z8.

Hi Bill,
Many thanks for the detailed feedback.
I currently have the Fmount G version and like you have had mixed results .
You have certainly confirmed the need to make the change to the Z version.
Regards,
Gavin
My pleasure. I can say this with a fair amount of confidence, the 24-120 S lens is a significant upgrade over the 24-120 G lens. I'm not sure what pixy dust Nikon discovered for the Z lenses but it seems like every one outperforms even the best of the G lenses. I wasn't sure if I'd like mirrorless a few years ago, just like when I shot film and was thinking about DSLR in 2004 but decided to make the jump when Canon came out with the 1D Mark II, I made the jump and still shot film for the first year until I finally decided to drop film altogether. Making the move to mirrorless was also a bit nerve racking but a few weeks with the Z6 had me convinced and now that I have the Z8 I'm really happy to have ventured down this road...

The Z 24-120 f4 stays on one of my Z9's unless I'm shooting wildlife. In that case a Z100-400 replaces it. On my other Z9 the 500 PF stays permently attached.

I'm considering purchasing the Z8 and trading in my 24-120f4G VR Lens for the new Z 24-120S lens.
Are any of you using the new Z equivalent and what are your findings in terms of performance?
I have seen some mixed reviews on the internet.
Gavin
Although popular with video shooter - When I had the 24-120 G lens I never liked it
The new Z version is on another level - especially compared to the 24-200 Z lens ... 🦘

I have used this lens on my Z9 and Z6ii. Low light performance over a hugh zoom range is stellar using the Z6ii. On the Z9, it is very good out to the Dx circle. It is softer after that. The extreme corners are noticeably soft. I shoot wildlife "environmental" shots with it often. Little elk in a big meadow kind of image with the subject 20% or less of the frame. It is probably with me more than any other single lens.

Here is a thread on it:

Earlier reviews and first feedback here. The past 11/2 years has vindicated this zoom as among the best choices

I picked up the 24-120 as part of the "kit" when I bought my Z8. I figured it would be a good all-purpose lens and I got a discount on it by buying with the camera. I haven't used it a lot yet, but the times I have I thought it was an excellent choice.

I absolutely love the 24-120 S and it's rarely left at home. I traded the 24-70 4 and the 24-200 for it and zero regrets. It's a must-have IMO.
Me too…been using it in the UK and I’m probably going to swap my 24-70 and 24-200 for an almost the same price 180-600 as I envision very little use for those two now. The 24-120 is @80 if I either use DX or crop…and that’s close enough…so I’m not keeping lenses that won’t get used much.

As great as it is, and it's practically glued to one of my Z9s, most of my video work is done at 2.8, so there are times I have the 24-70 on the other body. If I had to bring just one body, it's the 2.8 over the 4.

I'm considering purchasing the Z8 and trading in my 24-120f4G VR Lens for the new Z 24-120S lens.
Are any of you using the new Z equivalent and what are your findings in terms of performance?
I have seen some mixed reviews on the internet.
Gavin
I think you would be quite happy with the Z lens over the older version if you decide to go that route. The Z lens is better in every way!

Earlier reviews and first feedback here. The past 11/2 years has vindicated this zoom as among the best choices

Many thanks for all the links and detailed information,
Certainly looks like a good choice,
Regards,
Gavin

What do you use to go beyond 120mm? If anything at all....
My current lenses on hand that I use the most are the Z24-120, Z100-400, and an F-mount 500PF that I use with the adapter. I've pre-ordered the Z180-600 and that's when I'll give up the 500PF. Maybe, maybe not.

Back