Nikon Z 400 mm f4.5

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Activert

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi everyone. I would like to know, from those who has tried or own this lens, what it is your thoughts and impression about it for wildlife photography. I have the 600 tc for birds and I am looking for something at 400 mm. Your comments are very appreciated. Thank you .

Last edited:
It's a very good alternative to the 400mm f/2.8. It is very sharp and compares well with the 500mm PF but is short of the 400mm f/2.8. Comparisons to the 100-400 at 400mm give the edge to the prime - and you would expect that compared to the 180-600. It is quite sharp with the 1.4 TC. Weight and size are similar to the 70-200 f/2.8.

One of the big advantages is the lens produces very nice out of focus backgrounds.

400mm is a little short for small birds. I'd prefer 600mm for birding. But as you can see below, it's fine for occasional use, and is very light so it's easy to use for casual birding.

Aiken Training Track_20230222_380231.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Kelly - Landscape_8-5-2022_369383.jpg

This was with the 1.4 TC
Birds - Test_20230117_378157-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

400mm f/4.5 + 1.4 TC
Silver Bluff_7-29-2022_368546.jpg

Good casual walk around lens. Could substitute for a 500PF when you use the 400 with 1.4TC although I think you will be giving up some sharpness compared to just using the 500PF. 400mm is often too short for birds. Although sometimes 400mm is ideal for larger owls and close approaching swallows. I use 600mm most for birds so if the 400 was my only lens it would see too much use with 1.4TC. But if it was a secondary, lightweight, casual birding lens then it would be in addition to something longer.

It worked well for me when used in appropriate situations....

March 26, 2023-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
March 26, 2023.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 01, 2023-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 01, 2023.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

It's a very good alternative to the 400mm f/2.8. It is very sharp and compares well with the 500mm PF but is short of the 400mm f/2.8. Comparisons to the 100-400 at 400mm give the edge to the prime - and you would expect that compared to the 180-600. It is quite sharp with the 1.4 TC. Weight and size are similar to the 70-200 f/2.8.

One of the big advantages is the lens produces very nice out of focus backgrounds.

400mm is a little short for small birds. I'd prefer 600mm for birding. But as you can see below, it's fine for occasional use, and is very light so it's easy to use for casual birding.

View attachment 63950

View attachment 63953

This was with the 1.4 TC
View attachment 63951

400mm f/4.5 + 1.4 TC
View attachment 63952
Thanks Eric! your photos are amazing. I am glad that you shared them with us. I have the 600 tc for birds and I am looking for something that it is sharp with nice bokeh at 400 mm for closer subjects. I also want to be able to carry it in my bag with the 600 tc. Very grateful for your comments

Good casual walk around lens. Could substitute for a 500PF when you use the 400 with 1.4TC although I think you will be giving up some sharpness compared to just using the 500PF. 400mm is often too short for birds. Although sometimes 400mm is ideal for larger owls and close approaching swallows. I use 600mm most for birds so if the 400 was my only lens it would see too much use with 1.4TC. But if it was a secondary, lightweight, casual birding lens then it would be in addition to something longer.

It worked well for me when used in appropriate situations....

March 26, 2023.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 01, 2023-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 01, 2023.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Wow! Beautiful shots. Very sharp and beautiful bokeh, two things are important to me. Thanks arbitrage for your comments. It helps a lot

It’s a sweet lens, very small and compact, and so lightweight that it’s a joy to carry around. No complaints about IQ whatsoever.

I have one for sale at the moment since I mostly photograph small birds, and it just didn’t work out for my use case, but that takes nothing away from the lens at all. I go back and forth on keeping it though, as it is great with the 1.4 TC and casual outings or occasional travel.

Thanks Eric! your photos are amazing. I am glad that you shared them with us. I have the 600 tc for birds and I am looking for something that it is sharp with nice bokeh at 400 mm for closer subjects. I also want to be able to carry it in my bag with the 600 tc. Very grateful for your comments
I think it will be a perfect complementary lens. It is currently my favorite lens, but not always long enough which won’t be an issue since you have the 600mm TC. It is very sharp, quick to focus, and very lightweight. It is very similar in size to the 500mm PF and Z100-400mm, but lighter. Should be able to pack alongside the 600mm.

It is a lens, as they said, very sharp, even with TC 1.4... and very versatile. I use as my main target a 600 F4 G..which I love beyond the fact that its weight is limiting on occasions, but in general I manage very well and it never stays at home..But I always have in my car ready Z9 mounted With the 400 next to the tc for photos that require a quick reaction... and very happy. Replaced a 300 F2.8, beautiful too but heavier. Eagle 400 mm and colludite 560 mm
aguilucho-comun_NGR7465.jpg
coludito-copeton_NGR3506.jpg

I think it will be a perfect complementary lens. It is currently my favorite lens, but not always long enough which won’t be an issue since you have the 600mm TC. It is very sharp, quick to focus, and very lightweight. It is very similar in size to the 500mm PF and Z100-400mm, but lighter. Should be able to pack alongside the 600mm.
That's similar to how I use my 400mm f/4.5. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 800mm PF, so the 400mm f/4.5 pairs well with either. There is also enough of a difference that I have a clear preference depending on what I expect to photograph.

Where birding is a priority or for leading bird walks, I use the 400mm f/4.5 with the 1.4 TC instead of binoculars. It's very light and is easily handheld or carried for long distances.

It’s a sweet lens, very small and compact, and so lightweight that it’s a joy to carry around. No complaints about IQ whatsoever.

I have one for sale at the moment since I mostly photograph small birds, and it just didn’t work out for my use case, but that takes nothing away from the lens at all. I go back and forth on keeping it though, as it is great with the 1.4 TC and casual outings or occasional travel.
Thanks a lot for your feedback . I live in Montreal and Nikon Canada won’t support any Nikon product bought in US or other countries. if you are outside of Canada, the duty is very high to get something here specially when the product is made in China. That is what I learned. i am sure that you will sell it quickly And too bad for me.

It is a lens, as they said, very sharp, even with TC 1.4... and very versatile. I use as my main target a 600 F4 G..which I love beyond the fact that its weight is limiting on occasions, but in general I manage very well and it never stays at home..But I always have in my car ready Z9 mounted With the 400 next to the tc for photos that require a quick reaction... and very happy. Replaced a 300 F2.8, beautiful too but heavier. Eagle 400 mm and colludite 560 mmView attachment 63960View attachment 63961
Thank you so much for your reply. I am very happy to see how good and sharp your photos with the 400 mm. But at the same time your must be an excellent photographer because without a good photographer, even the best lens can’t deliver.

Thank you! it so good to hear how people are happy with this lens. It help me make my decision. Your comments are very helpful

Yes, it's a wonderfully light and versatile prime, the image quality and rendering is superb including with ZTC14. Checking back into the database of what's been discussed/compared......

Yes, it's a wonderfully light and versatile prime, the image quality and rendering is superb including with ZTC14. Checking back into the database of what's been discussed/compared......

Thank you fcotterill for all the database. I ´ve should checked before I put this thread. I did not that they were this many discussion about it. I will go through them.

Thank you fcotterill for all the database. I ´ve should checked before I put this thread. I did not that they were this many discussion about it. I will go through them.
No worries, some threads are hard to find using standard searching. I maintain bookmarks because it saves frustrations to try and find stuff, inclduing links to comparisons, reviews etc etc. And this is besides the wealth of experiences shared here.

One recent review by Brad Hill might not have be included there... although his Long Lens Talk might have been

No worries, some threads are hard to find using standard searching. I maintain bookmarks because it saves frustrations to try and find stuff, inclduing links to comparisons, reviews etc etc. And this is besides the wealth of experiences shared here.

One recent review by Brad Hill might not have be included there... although his Long Lens Talk might have been

Thank you thousands time! So nice of you to share all this stuff. I appreciated a lot

Thanks for everyone. My photo dealer yesterday told that he still had 2 lenses. So I went to pick up one. Now I have the 400 4.5 and I can’t believe how light it is, even it is lighter than my 70 -200 f2.8. I am really happy with it. I am going to the Botanical Garden, hoping to find some birds. If there is no wildlife, then I will try photographing flowers from a distance.
I am really grateful to all of you, for sharing your amazing photos and your experience with it. Your comments are appreciated and helped me take my decision to buy it.

Hi everyone. I would like to know, from those who has tried or own this lens, what it is your thoughts and impression about it for wildlife photography. I have the 600 tc for birds and I am looking for something at 400 mm. Your comments are very appreciated. Thank you .
I have the older 600 f4 AFS and although I love it I tend to grab the 400mm f4.5 first.
Its just such an easy practical lens - and even for handheld video ... 🦘

I have the older 600 f4 AFS and although I love it I tend to grab the 400mm f4.5 first.
Its just such an easy practical lens - and even for handheld video ... 🦘
Thank you! This lens, the 4.5 is really very light specially when we don’t wNt to use tripod !

Reactions: Roy
Back