Nikon Z 400mm/4.5 vs. 600mm/6.3 PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks for the posts. I have been using the 500pf on my z8. I tried the 180-600, but its to heavy for my cervical issues. Length also of lens causes distress on upper back next morning! I also had the 200-500 with my d7500 and it was heavy, so when I bought the 500pf it was like WOW. I have had the z400 on and it it super sized and weight, but just need more reach, often. I am 69 and I am an enthusiast, no money comes in. My hobby. So the cost of the 600pf is troublesome , and used 500pf value had dropped. I wish I could have bought one for current prices used 3 years ago! SO, ftzii and 500pf is about 1/2 lb more than z600. Really is the z600 that better at AF compared to 500pf?
Not sure where you got the info that the 500mm PF plus ftzii is 1/2 pound heavier than the 600mm PF. The ftz is more like 1/4 pound (4 ounces) so the difference is closer to 1/4 a pound since the two lenses are pretty much the same weight. And the 500mm PF is f/5.6, so a half stop faster than the 600mm (of course, the latter is longer). So if money is tight, I don't think going from a 500mm PF to the 600mm is worth the extra $3,500 plus it would cost for you to sell your 500mm PF and buy the 600mm PF. That is about the cost of another Z8.
PS. Just ran the 500mm PF through one websites purchase price (I have one as well) and it looks like they will pay next to nothing for these lenses now ($800 if you are lucky). So unless you have a private buyer who is willing to pay a lot more, the cost of going from your 500mm PF to the 600mm PF is closer to $4,000.

Last edited:
I used the 400f4.5 with the 1.4tc exclusively in Equador. It did just fine. This lens and the z8 are for me the perfect combo in terms of weight and balance. That being said the 600pf feels way better to me on the z8 than the 500pf and is sharpest wide open. I agonized over selling my 500of but I have to say I am glad I did. Like you it is a hobby for me but I like good results and comfort. I’m 76. I also really like the control ring options and use them a lot.
Control ring for iso control would be helpful

Back