Nikon Z 600mm f/6.3 Replacement Foot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I got Hejnar foot and Magpul double QD sling and hooked up with Z8 and Z 600pf. I managed to attach the two QDs to both sockets in Hejnar's foot with an "X" strap arrangement. I don't use a safety tether on camera. It mostly balances with the lens about horizontally.

Do you use the QD connector? If yes, does it balance with the lens pointed down?
Yes…I use the QD connector from the BR strap to the lens foot. It balances extremely well….maybe a slight downward angle on the lens front end, but nothing that interferes with walking. It hangs right at waist level. I also have a backup BR safety strap from the metal connection on the BR strap to the QD connector on the Kirk L frame on the camera. I double check both connectors when I connect.
And for a test I connected the camera body strap, and just held the other connector in position without connecting it. I then released that connector I was holding. The camera and lens dropped an additional 6 inches but stayed supported. An yes I did this at home with 3 pillows just below. Probably overkill but it gave me more piece of mind.

Last edited:
Yes…I use the QD connector from the BR strap to the lens foot. It balances extremely well….maybe a slight downward angle on the lens front end, but nothing that interferes with walking. It hangs right at waist level. I also have a backup BR safety strap from the metal connection on the BR strap to the QD connector on the Kirk L frame on the camera. I double check both connectors when I connect.
And for a test I connected the camera body strap, and just held the other connector in position without connecting it. I then released that connector I was holding. The camera and lens dropped an additional 6 inches but stayed supported. An yes I did this at home with 3 pillows just below. Probably overkill but it gave me more piece of mind.
So for the test, you had the safety strap connected to your camera body and held the QD connector in position to your lens foot. Then you release the holding connector (disconnect from the lens) to let the system fall 6" before the safety strap takes over. In this case (the strap holds the system at a point on the camera, not the lens), doesn't it stress much more on the connection mechanism between the camera and lens? Maybe the weight of Z9 is heavier than the lens Z600 pf? That could make sense after all. ( I use Z8, so figure to connect both QDs to the lens in case either connector fails, the other is still connected to and holds the lens.)

So for the test, you had the safety strap connected to your camera body and held the QD connector in position to your lens foot. Then you release the holding connector (disconnect from the lens) to let the system fall 6" before the safety strap takes over. In this case (the strap holds the system at a point on the camera, not the lens), doesn't it stress much more on the connection mechanism between the camera and lens? Maybe the weight of Z9 is heavier than the lens Z600 pf? That could make sense after all. ( I use Z8, so figure to connect both QDs to the lens in case either connector fails, the other is still connected to and holds the lens.)
I hadn’t thought about that, attaching the safety connection to the other OD connection on the foot. TBH I think it’s a crapshoot as either way would result in an unbalanced condition. I look at it as it’s just my emergency stop gap to prevent the lens and camera from striking the ground. I agree that either way is going to put stress on the camera/lens flange, but I’ll take that rather than watching it bounce off concrete!

Back