Nikon Z8 Hot Card Warning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am going to try it without the SD, but if you;d read all the way through my description you;d see that I had shot 101 shots in an hour and a half, and had taken no shots at all in the last two minutes before the warning came on. So whether it's overflow or backup, the camera hadn't been writing anything for some time.
If it happens without the SD card, I would send the camera in to Nikon for them to check it. Presumably it is still under warranty.

I got a hot card warning today on my Z8; first time I've used it. The cards are both Delkin Black. I was out shooting for about an hour and a half -- but shooting intermittently, with long wait times in between, and no bursts at all. The camera was in single shot mode only. I was sitting in a car (window open, engine off) in 65 degree outdoor temp. And worst of all, when the hot card warning came on the camera had been sitting unused for several minutes. Is this going to become recall number three?

Update: I now see that I took 101 shots total over an hour and a half. I was not shooting at all when the Hot Card warning appeared.

What an odd juxtaposition to my experience with the Z8. I was out shooting mixed subjects yesterday. Among them, I shot a young man practicing throwing a javelin. It was approximately 90 degrees in the direct sunlight. I was shooting him at 20 fps through several run-ups. Total of approximately 240 shots in about three minutes. Delkin Black CF in slot one and Delkin Black SD in Slot 2, Overflow setting. No inkling of a heat warning. You definitely may want to take your camera in if it keeps repeating that kind of event.

I asked Nikon this very question -- whether the warning related to the card or the camera -- and was told there's no difference between the two possible warnings (thermometer icon and Hot Card text). Either can indicate either condition, I was told. But grain of salt -- I was told this by a customer service rep who clearly did not want to be answering any questions that day.

I asked Nikon this very question -- whether the warning related to the card or the camera -- and was told there's no difference between the two possible warnings (thermometer icon and Hot Card text). Either can indicate either condition, I was told. But grain of salt -- I was told this by a customer service rep who clearly did not want to be answering any questions that day.
Thanks Barbara.
I'm going to ask it to the Nikon support (I couldn't find any reference to this subject in the Z8 manuals), if I get a better answer than yours, I'll post it here.

I had this happen yesterday for the first time while shooting soccer in direct 90C sunshine (no choice) near the end of the game's first half. First, a Hot Card warning appeared on the Z8 screen then it became more serious and the camera wouldn't fire (forgive me, I forget the actual message on the screen). Luckily, I didn't miss an important image but very easily could have. Scouring the Internet, there seem to be a number of possible variables besides hot weather. I had changed my second card (an SD) setting to Backup meaning the camera's processor would need to work harder. Some people say it's the speed of the card while others say it's the SD card at fault. I don't know but the easiest possible fix for me is to either shoot with one card or change the designation of the second card to Overflow. At half time the cameras and cards cooled down in the air conditioning and worked without a problem during the second half. Meanwhile, my Z9 worked the entire game with no problem.

I had this happen yesterday for the first time while shooting soccer in direct 90C sunshine (no choice) near the end of the game's first half. First, a Hot Card warning appeared on the Z8 screen then it became more serious and the camera wouldn't fire (forgive me, I forget the actual message on the screen). Luckily, I didn't miss an important image but very easily could have. Scouring the Internet, there seem to be a number of possible variables besides hot weather. I had changed my second card (an SD) setting to Backup meaning the camera's processor would need to work harder. Some people say it's the speed of the card while others say it's the SD card at fault. I don't know but the easiest possible fix for me is to either shoot with one card or change the designation of the second card to Overflow. At half time the cameras and cards cooled down in the air conditioning and worked without a problem during the second half. Meanwhile, my Z9 worked the entire game with no problem.
Can you tell us which CFexpress card were you using? And what type of shooting you were doing? For example, long stretches of 20 fps RAW? Video?

In weather conditions, 30+ degrees outside and inside shooting sports and anything 20fps 1s constantly, my Z8 and card become very hot after 20/30 min of shooting with a warning. First single icon, then another for a very warm.

My cards are Lexar 128GB Diamond fastest one and Delkin Black 4.0 325 GB fastest one too. No difference, both have the same warning. I am not happy about that when I shoot a whole day's sports events.

I was in south Florida (90+°F) recently shooting 20 fps bursts with my Z8 and Z6III four about four hours. Got hot camera warnings on both but neither stopped shooting. The Z8 has Delkin Black CFe and SDXC cards. The Z6III has a ProGrade Cobalt CFe and Delkin Black SDXC cards. Both cameras are set to HE* and overflow.

Back