Nikon Z8 Hot Card Warning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I received a "Hot Card" warning. The camera never locked up. I was shooting 15 fps but in bursts. I was not shooting long bursts at all. The part of the camera that was warm was not the location of the card. It was the lower left, under the access doors. I've seen discussions about some cards may shoot "cooler" than others. I've only had the camera for six days and am concerned about this. Because of the location of the warmth I don't believe this is a card issue. I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express card. Has anyone seen this in the Z8 or Z9?
I only have one Sandisk CFe and it does seem to heat up a bit more than the others but I've had no real problems with it ... 🦘

I received a "Hot Card" warning. The camera never locked up. I was shooting 15 fps but in bursts. I was not shooting long bursts at all. The part of the camera that was warm was not the location of the card. It was the lower left, under the access doors. I've seen discussions about some cards may shoot "cooler" than others. I've only had the camera for six days and am concerned about this. Because of the location of the warmth I don't believe this is a card issue. I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express card. Has anyone seen this in the Z8 or Z9?
I’ve had a new Z8 for just under a week. I’ve done bursts of 10’s, 50’s, and a hundred or so just to see if it would. It did. Jpegs and NEFs. No heat issues, but I was inside my house and not out in the heat. I’d be heading back to the place you bought it from. Too new and too much $$$ not to send it back. Sorry to hear this. I’m sure you got a return policy with it. Use it!

I’ve had a new Z8 for just under a week. I’ve done bursts of 10’s, 50’s, and a hundred or so just to see if it would. It did. Jpegs and NEFs. No heat issues, but I was inside my house and not out in the heat. I’d be heading back to the place you bought it from. Too new and too much $$$ not to send it back. Sorry to hear this. I’m sure you got a return policy with it. Use it!
It's a known issue with sandisk cards, not the Z8 (though it will run hotter than the z9, less mass to bleed off heat, and the battery and cards are next to each other).

See my post (#2 in this topic) for more information.

Reactions: Roy
Thank you all. I just ordered the Delkin Black. Interestingly, cheaper than the Sandisk. I'll put the Sandisk in my D500

I read your experience of Z8 hot card warning signs. I am also seeing this behavior and I am surprised it happened even when the camera was not in burst mode. I kept the shutter button half pressed for over an hour or so focused on a Blue Heron, but at times I needed to refocus and I was removing my finger from the shutter. Another time it happened the camera was in 10fps burst mode but again the shutter button was half pressed for a while but was removing my finger on and off. I am suing SanDisk Extreme Pro cfexpress card Type B. People suggest using Delkin Black although @PhilM reported that this card also gave Hot Card warning on his Z8.

I noted you ordered a Delkin Black card, and I was wondering if changing from SanDisk to Delkin Black card resolved the Hot Card warning issue. Did you eventually return your camera or the problem is resolved and you are happy with your Z8.

It will be helpful to hear from you or other members on this forum on this subject as I am quite confused and frustrated with this warning.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
I read your experience of Z8 hot card warning signs. I am also seeing this behavior and I am surprised it happened even when the camera was not in burst mode. I kept the shutter button half pressed for over an hour or so focused on a Blue Heron, but at times I needed to refocus and I was removing my finger from the shutter. Another time it happened the camera was in 10fps burst mode but again the shutter button was half pressed for a while but was removing my finger on and off. I am suing SanDisk Extreme Pro cfexpress card Type B. People suggest using Delkin Black although @PhilM reported that this card also gave Hot Card warning on his Z8.

I noted you ordered a Delkin Black card, and I was wondering if changing from SanDisk to Delkin Black card resolved the Hot Card warning issue. Did you eventually return your camera or the problem is resolved and you are happy with your Z8.

It will be helpful to hear from you or other members on this forum on this subject as I am quite confused and frustrated with this warning.

I replaced the Sandisk with the Delkin CF Express Power 128gb and haven't had any problems since.

I feel the problem is more like - My racecar gets hot but my VW bug at home doesnt have that problem.
I'm still amazed how well the cameras work pushing through so much data so fast ... 🦘

I got a hot card warning today on my Z8; first time I've used it. The cards are both Delkin Black. I was out shooting for about an hour and a half -- but shooting intermittently, with long wait times in between, and no bursts at all. The camera was in single shot mode only. I was sitting in a car (window open, engine off) in 65 degree outdoor temp. And worst of all, when the hot card warning came on the camera had been sitting unused for several minutes. Is this going to become recall number three?

Update: I now see that I took 101 shots total over an hour and a half. I was not shooting at all when the Hot Card warning appeared.

Last edited:
I got a hot card warning today on my Z8; first time I've used it. The cards are both Delkin Black. I was out shooting for about an hour and a half -- but shooting intermittently, with long wait times in between, and no bursts at all. The camera was in single shot mode only. I was sitting in a car (window open, engine off) in 65 degree outdoor temp. And worst of all, when the hot card warning came on the camera had been sitting unused for several minutes. Is this going to become recall number three?
That is quite distressing (and strange). Do you have a second card in the SD card slot? I didn't have any problems in 95 degree weather with my Z8 sitting out for several hours in the sun and then shooting 20fps with the Delkin Black card.

That is quite distressing (and strange). Do you have a second card in the SD card slot? I didn't have any problems in 95 degree weather with my Z8 sitting out for several hours in the sun and then shooting 20fps with the Delkin Black card.
Yes, a Delkin Black SD card. Single shot only; no bursts. 65 degrees or so. I am really frustrated.

Yes, a Delkin Black SD card. Single shot only; no bursts. 65 degrees or so. I am really frustrated.
can you confirm the SD part? how long is the green light on? the SD cards are quite slow so it may be active for quite a while even for a few shots

also, if indeed it’s an SD, what is the “v” rating and what mode (raw, he*, he, jpg) are you using?

Last edited:
can you confirm the SD part? how long is the green light on? the SD cards are quite slow so it may be active for quite a while even for a few shots

also, if indeed it’s an SD, what is the “v” rating and what mode (raw, he*, he, jpg) are you using?
Just to repeat the specifics: Delkin Black (which is V90, etc) SD card (as well as the CFe). Shooting Raw. The green light was not on because I had not been shooting at all for several minutes when the Hot Card warning came on.

Backup, but I don't see what difference that makes given the circumstances I have described.
Well, you're going to be writing to an SD card, which is a lot slower, and won't dump heat as effectively. Getting a hot card warning could be from the sd card, which is what I'd suspect is the case here. I'd try shooting without one and see if it happens again.

Should it get hot from that? Not necessarily, but I think the sd card slot is a major weak point for the Z8.

Update: I now see that I took 101 shots total over an hour and a half. I was not shooting at all when the Hot Card warning appeared.
Were you set up on pre-release capture mode?

Well, you're going to be writing to an SD card, which is a lot slower, and won't dump heat as effectively. Getting a hot card warning could be from the sd card, which is what I'd suspect is the case here. I'd try shooting without one and see if it happens again.

Should it get hot from that? Not necessarily, but I think the sd card slot is a major weak point for the Z8.
I am going to try it without the SD, but if you;d read all the way through my description you;d see that I had shot 101 shots in an hour and a half, and had taken no shots at all in the last two minutes before the warning came on. So whether it's overflow or backup, the camera hadn't been writing anything for some time.

Back