Nikon Z8 Livestream! Ask Me Your Questions!! 2:00 PM Eastern!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks Steve! I jumped in kind of late (darn life keeps getting in the way) but I found it interesting. Being a Z9 owner, and loving it, I also thought the lighter weight and smaller size of the Z8 could be an advantage at times when walking or hiking distances. I have a Z8 on pre-order, almost canceled it but decided it was time to just sell the D850, which I've rarely touched since getting the Z9.

One more. The Z9 is very well balanced when attached to the latest NIKKOR Z lenses. The Z8 is lighter - do you notice any difference in balance with longer lenses?
IMO, only the heavy lenses balance well on the Z9. My 400mm f/4.5 doesn't balance well at all. It's very back heavy to the point that the center of mass is actually behind the tripod foot. I'd think the Z8 will balance much better with all but the big lenses. I actually prefer the balance of the Z6II with the 400mm f/4.5.

Any insight as to whether or not the MB-N11 battery grip will work with the Z8?

N/M- just saw the Ricci video and answered my own question. (No, it will not work)

Last edited:
IMO, only the heavy lenses balance well on the Z9. My 400mm f/4.5 doesn't balance well at all. It's very back heavy to the point that the center of mass is actually behind the tripod foot. I'd think the Z8 will balance much better with all but the big lenses. I actually prefer the balance of the Z6II with the 400mm f/4.5.
although, note balance may mean either tripod OR hand held. personally the 400 4.5 balances fine for me hand held. ymmv

I was not free at the time of the live stream.
Where is it possible to see it ?
I read it would be possible to see it after.
I don't see it on the main backcountry gallery site ...

Yes, Z9 feels too big and heavy for that 400/4.5 lens. Z8 will be the perfect pairing for that lens. Z9 better suited for the 400TC and 600TC. Although Steve did say in the YT stream that he was liking how the Z8 looked mounted onto the 600TC.

Two Queries/Discussion Points in the feedback deserve to be flagged IMHO as they often come up, and they are likely to recur...

1. On suitability of the Z8 for general wildlife and bird photography? 37:40>> "....The Z8 is the best bang for the buck camera for wildlife and bird photography that we've ever..."

2. On the glaring gap of a DX D500 aka Z90/Z80, with respect to the Z8. 39:40>> Steve's take is the Z8 is similar to the D850. It is two cameras in one, if switched into DX mode;

Two Queries/Discussion Points in the feedback deserve to be flagged IMHO as they often come up, and they are likely to recur...

1. On suitability of the Z8 for general wildlife and bird photography? 37:40>> "....The Z8 is the best bang for the buck camera for wildlife and bird photography that we've ever..."

2. On the glaring gap of a DX D500 aka Z90/Z80, with respect to the Z8. 39:40>> Steve's take is the Z8 is similar to the D850. It is two cameras in one, if switched into DX mode;
I agree but the only reason I still want a Z900 or a baby DX Z9/8 is because I feel it will come with a higher MP...26-30 Mp range would be awesome.. And for a back up camera i do not want to spend something like USD 4k plus.

I agree but the only reason I still want a Z900 or a baby DX Z9/8 is because I feel it will come with a higher MP...26-30 Mp range would be awesome.. And for a back up camera i do not want to spend something like USD 4k plus.
For me, I like having the option of both sizes. However, I also find I don't care that much about camera size one way or another. I' find I enjoy smaller bodies as much are larger ones (again, still talking about cameras 😮 ). Each have their advantages and I like having options.

Back