Nikon Z8 Rumors

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I certainly hope those rumors are wrong. It just doesn’t sound like Nikon to be chasing the A7R5 for their second camera from the top- they win when they beat to their own drum. The z9 although it competes with the A1 is really nothing like it. The D850, the D500 were recipes that nobody else matched. In many ways the d750 as well.
‘The z8 should really be a D850 reborn, In which case the z7iii could be the A7R5 alternative but with its own twist.

A z8 built around the z9 sensor but with specs just a bit more conservative and a z7 type body would wipe the floor with the R5 and Sony would have nothing to put against it. And then do the same with the stacked APSC sensor that is in the Fuji XH2s. You have your magic D850/D500 duo reborn. I hope they don’t get lured by the 61mp sensor promise… it’s just so slow.

They know the magic recipe.. I don’t know why they go a different route.

Maybe out of line here, but ... put the Z6iii into crop mode and you still have a 23 mp image if it originally lives as a 33 mp sensor. Puts one back into the D500 or D750 range.
Your math is faulty. A 33 megapixel full frame sensor equates to a 15 megapixel crop mode image. Check out the 33 megapixel Sony A7IV. Even the Z9 at 45 megapixels only throws around 20 megapixels to the image while in crop mode.

Reactions: Roy
I just hope that Nikon doesn't mess with button placement. Keeping it as close as possible to the Z9.
One thing I have often struggled with is different lay-outs. My second body doesn't get as much use as my main body, hence muscle memory is hard to achieve in my case, as I only use this for a hobby.

Nikon changed button layout with the Z system.
Its unlikely they will change anything significant.
Although I do miss the Button layout of the D5 and D850...🦘

If it's a 60mp sensor / if they're not using the Z9's sensor, then it's likely not for me. 45 is a comfortable maximum for me. So I'm probably more excited for the Z6/7 mark III's. Or, a Z9 😎

I also don't see the Z8 fitting into a Z5/6/7 form factor, if Nikon is going with the same shutterless / EVF / blackout-free system the Z9 has. I imagine it's going to be what everyone is asking for - a shorter Z9 with no integrated grip. Slightly lower stills & video performance, but slightly higher mp's.

On a related note, I do not think we'll see a mirrorless APSC "D500" any time soon, if at all, from Nikon. I just don't think they're going to funnel R&D / resources into higher-end APSC bodies at this point. Maybe I'm wrong. But I see APSC bodies like the Z30, Z50, and Zfc just continuing on for their consumer / vlogger line. On the flip side - we'll likely see a "Zf" retro full frame body in 2023.

All just my best-guess opinions 🙂

I certainly hope those rumors are wrong. It just doesn’t sound like Nikon to be chasing the A7R5 for their second camera from the top- they win when they beat to their own drum. The z9 although it competes with the A1 is really nothing like it. The D850, the D500 were recipes that nobody else matched. In many ways the d750 as well.
‘The z8 should really be a D850 reborn, In which case the z7iii could be the A7R5 alternative but with its own twist.

A z8 built around the z9 sensor but with specs just a bit more conservative and a z7 type body would wipe the floor with the R5 and Sony would have nothing to put against it. And then do the same with the stacked APSC sensor that is in the Fuji XH2s. You have your magic D850/D500 duo reborn. I hope they don’t get lured by the 61mp sensor promise… it’s just so slow.

I think this is exactly the right kind of logic. There are a several key constraints or pillars of design - the most important being power. A small body holds the EN-EL15c battery, which means less power and fewer shots on a charge than the larger EN-EL18. A smaller body means less area to use as a heat sink - something that constrains frame rate and video specs. It probably has some impact on processor speed and focus, but it's small.

As pointed out, the stacked sensor and shutterless design are innovations that provide simplicity and cost savings. It also provides an easy marketing point - "why would you have something as antiquated as a shutter with all the limitations and constraints". Stacked sensors provide dual readout - something that is important in Nikon's approach to a fast, real time EVF. Shutterless design is part of what delivers the exceptionally fast frame rates and pre-release capture. It also eliminates rolling shutter.

The third major pillar is the EXPEED 7 processor. Without fast processors, you lose the AF performance as well as image processing speed. In addition, Nikon integrates AF with scene recognition used for matrix metering - which requires processing power. And of course with a faster processor comes a faster frame rate. Nikon has always started new processors in the flagship and moved them down into other enthusiast cameras. 8k video needs a fast processor.

So you have some constraints, but a lot in common with the Z9 as you move into smaller enthusiast bodies and action cameras. But most of these constraints are common to the way Nikon manages developing technology. A Z7 upgrade could be a slightly scaled back Z9 but may lose 8k video and have a slower frame rate. A Z6 upgrade could provide faster frame rates because there is less data in a smaller sensor, and it would not have 8k video. A Z8 could be a new high resolution champion, but that seems unlikely right now. And a D500 in Z format could be an attractive option.

so if you were nikon and you could only build one more stacked sensor for the next year or two, what would it be?
I don’t have insights into Nikon’s market research but I have to believe that a lot of people came to NIKON for the d500 + 200/500 zoom or 500pf. I know I did.

they have the 400 f:4.5 and a “Z500“ launching with the 200-600 i think would be a perfect repeat of that scenario. Whether they need to build their own or can license the Sony 26MP stacked APSC sensor and change the color array on it, I have no clue. It would create such a natural upgrade path, to a z8 (built around a z9 sensor), to the 800pf etc… if truly their focus is “high end” they need to create accessible entry points with obvious upgrade paths. Just focusing on upgrading D850 and D5/6 owners is great to get started but it’s not a winning recipe for long term financial health.
‘In many ways Sony has the same issue, they really don’t have an action oriented body that can serve as a gateway drug for the system- whereas Canon has done a better job with the R7 to R6 to R5 upgrade path. Their lenses on the other hand aren’t quite as appealing as an upgrade journey.

so if you were nikon and you could only build one more stacked sensor for the next year or two, what would it be?
I don't know that it will ever happen, but I would love to see a mirrorless equivalent of the D500 in the 30-32 megapixel range with a blackout free EVF and the AF system of the Z9, capable of shooting 20 fps. Coming from a setup where I used a D500 for BIF and a D850 for just about everything else, I think and ASP-C body would be the perfect compliment for the Z9.

Whether they need to build their own or can license the Sony 26MP stacked APSC sensor and change the color array on it, I have no clue.
my guess is all nikon stacked sensors will be "their own" for the foreseeable future. if they decide to do DX, i think it'll be their own design, similar to the way they did the z9.

on the other hand, i could totally see them going off-the-shelf for any future non stacked sensors.

Maybe out of line here, but ... put the Z6iii into crop mode and you still have a 23 mp image if it originally lives as a 33 mp sensor. Puts one back into the D500 or D750 range.
If you are referring to DX crop mode, you will get ~15 MP, assuming a 33 MP sensor.
The crop factor of 1.5 has to be squared, because the amount of MPs is equivalent to the area.

Here’s a link…
I looked over the specs for the Z8. Looks great but I cannot comprehend the comparisons to other manufacturers technology. In my recent shift to mirror-less I find myself in a relearning mode. I think it will take time for me to grasp the 3.0 features. I purchased the Z9 because of my longstanding use of Nikon cameras. However, I also read the increased Nikon profit report . Seems to me they should have left the five-year warranty on their glass. When I saw the removal of the warranty I wondered if Nikon was going to begin an extended warranty department.
Thank you for your information, Dale

If it's a 60mp sensor / if they're not using the Z9's sensor, then it's likely not for me. 45 is a comfortable maximum for me.
I wouldn't be too much concerned about 60MP. It is just a relatively minor increase of a third, compared to 45MP. So, the loss of low light capability should expected to be not more than 1/3 of a stop, which should be negligible. Also, file size will not change too much.
The step from 24MP to 45MP was a much bigger one, almost doubling the number of pixels.

If the camera is perfect otherwise, I wouldn't care (although I would prefer 45MP, too).

Maybe you will like it when you shoot with a very sharp telephoto lens that is able to support a 60MP sensor :)

To me, this image published on Nikonrumors seems authentic.
Why?
1) Look at the details around the Fn1 Button. It is different from the Z9 button layout, so it's not copied from there, but not from Z6/7 either.
2) The top cover of the viewfinder housing is different from Z9 and Z6/7, so probably not just copied.
3) It appears to me as if this is an non-assembled body, with a dummy flange (screws are not real, that little pin on the right is missing). Also the AF light as well as the actual sensor seem to be missing.
4) The flange apparently has moved a bit downwards.

Why would someone make such minor and unimportant changes just to create a mockup?
To me, it makes totally sense that this is a real picture of an unassembled Z8 body.
1668675756840.png

What can we learn from this?
Not much, but it seems to do away with the drive mode selector (maybe a button replacement or a thumb wheel like the 2 main dials?)
Apparently only flash sync or 10pin connector only.
Maybe GPS, since the top cover is not one piece. There needs to be a plastic cover to ensure GPS reception, but it can be for other reasons, too.
It also looks like there will be an AF side button, as with the Z9 (you can see a hint of it on the lower right).

Last edited:

You echoed my thoughts 😇

The real "question" is what did Nikon mean when they "said" no longer supporting low level entry cameras -- or -- targeting high end pro-sumer users and content creators and what does this mean for the line-up of cameras in the ECO system.

Like Thom Hogan and others -- I would like to see Nikon dive head first into "only" providing new cameras without Shutters - this means that these new camera need to have stacked BSI sensors, with very fast read times so that they do not suffer from rolling shutter.

Then folk should simply accept that there is demand for sensor resolutions that support 4k to 8k 10-bit to 12-bit video and folk want better image quality than their phone can possibly provide -- as a result 20mp to 60+mp (and multi-shot hi-res options as well) all should be in play. Obviously one "expects" that "all" genuinely new cameras would come with an Expeed 7 cpu and sensors able to support the capabilities of this chip. {assuming Nikon can source enough chips, parts etc...}

I simply do not consider that Nikon has fully exploited the FPS possibilities of High Efficiency * RAW and like others hope that the Z9 and any future bodies are able to use these greatly compressed formats to allow them to deliver even better/fast performance.

I would like to see Nikon embrace the 1TB Internal SSD in the X2D-100C -- but this may move its cameras to a much higher price point and require larger body -- perhaps it could be an option - to replace one card slot with an NVME 2.0 drive or similar.

Lets address the Heritage Range first -- I like the Zfc and would support the issue of a full-frame version with a few more capabilities -- the Df was great fun. BUT a Zf would benefit from IBIS - so I would support another fashionable retro body but with an Fx sensor. Not for me but in many parts of the world Nikon is a fashionable brand.

The current line-up of Dx and Fx bodies has gaps and oddities:

Z30
-- ok the new 20.9mp vlogging camera -- basically a cut down Z50 with no EVF, but improved software, mics and a flip/flop screen -- feedback has been good, but OBVIOUSLY the single largest criticism is that it is "too expensive" -- and yet it seems to be flying off the shelves -- the question is what other Dx lenses do vloggers need and when will the 12-28mm "Power Zoom" and 24mm DX lenses be delivered AND at what price. The Zfc fills the gap of a Z30 with an EVF.

Z50 -- this 20.9mp body is 2 + years old now and while it does provide 4k it needs an update from 8-bit to 10-bit video and IBIS -- the role the Z50 plays in the Dx line up is tied to the potential for the D500 replacement -- my "hope" is that if a Z50ii is launched its resolution would be increased to at least 24mp and comes with more goodies to give entry level shooters an easier time. The current Z50 stands out as a dinosaur -- a good camera but........

Z80/90 -- the long hoped for D500 replacement -- since the X-T5, X-H2 and Canon have done it with slightly smaller sensors there is no technical reasons that should such a camera be launched in a "small" pro-body that it could have a 30-40mp resolution sensor, while being good in low light, and high lossless RAW FPS -- a higher resolution mirrorless D500. It must be offered with an optional battery grip which can accomodate an EN-EL18 battery. On the downside -- Other than a few BIF shooters it is not clear to me what the market is for such a camera -- and this is where the interplay with any future Z50 replacement comes in -- could a Z50ii meet the demands of the BIF community, while also serving as a natural stepping stone from Z30 for slightly more experienced shooters AND still be an attractive small, light and relatively low cost camera for those that want such. Somehow I think not -- those who demand a D500 replacement simply want a cut down Z9 with similar resolution and capabilities but with the Dx sized sensor AND this means it will be relatively heavy and expensive. I still have my doubts and consider it clashes with bodies in the Fx line up.

Z5 -- 24MP 4½ FPS Full-Frame Stabilized Mirrorless, 4K/29.97 -- when looking at the Z5 and Z6ii one has to ask why does the Z5 exist and what role would a Z5ii successor play in the line up. Well like others this depends on what the Z6iii and Z7iii are to be -- as noted below -- if the Z6iii is given slightly higher resolution and the Z7iii bumped up to 61+mp then the Z5ii has a clear position as the entry level Fx body with a 24mp stabilised sensor and good video - 4k hopefully improved to 10-bit. HOWEVER, if the Z6iii stays at 24.5mp then the overlap between the Z5 and Z6 lines continues to be odd. Sure the Z6ii is 2/3rds more expensive, but the gap is specification is not vast and one would expect a Z6iii to be given a huge step up in performance when Z9 tech is built in. The question for the Z5ii as the ~£1,000 entry level FF body si whether at this price point a shutterless stacked/BSI sensor can be included together with a "lite" Expeed 7 CPU or does the price point simply limit what can be built into the body. I believe so, but have no clue on where Nikon can or will go with the Z5

Z6iii - 24MP FX, IBIS, ISO 50~204,800, Silent 14 FPS -- like others I suspect that this will be the next camera body that Nikon launch, perhaps at the same time as a Z8 (see below) -- the Z6ii plays a key role in the current line up as both the "king" of low light and the best video camera (excluding the Z9). The dual CPU technology has probably served its purpose and so "should" a Z6iii be issued then I "hope" it comes with both an Expeed 7 chip and BSI/Stacked sensor that delivers 30mp resolution and high fps for less than £2,000. Uncropped 6k 10-bit video in N-log, Apple ProRes and N-Raw as well. Is 30mp important -- well probably -- to give the Z6iii a bump upto 6k and differentiate it from the Z5ii -- but NOT at the cost improve low light performance -- a stacked BSI sensor will deliver significant quality improvement over the current sensor (if affordable in a £2,000 body) -- reducing the pixel pitch would not help low light performance. I also wonder what could be done in the sensor design to "give us back" the advantages of the central x-type AF point. Currently the contrast AF point all have the same orientation in Sony sensors -- moving to a different pattern would I assume help address some of the low light AF issues we see when comparing Nikon mirrorless AF to the AF performance of say a D6.

Z7iii - 45MP FX, IBIS, 10 FPS Silent ISO 32~102,400 -- here we get into the land of 100% speculation -- will there be a Z8 that in effect is a cut down Z9 (45.7mp sensor etc..) and if it is then what role does a Z7iii play -- the most logical answer is for this body to become the resolution king in Nikon's lineup -- I certainly do not consider a resolution above 65mp is remotely workable (diffraction etc) let alone needed, there is a place for a 62.8mp slower studio / landscape oriented body AND a body that is a worthy successor to the D850 (YES the Z7 was marketed as such, but for many and I owned both it was not). The primary reason for pushing a higher than 45.7mp body is that for Nikon to have 2 45.7 small body cameras in the line up then this really would be duplication. Obviously such a high-resolution sensor would have a slower fps than a Z9/Z8 and yet - I would still like to see either 1TB SSD or twin CF Express Type B card slots. Will it have a price below £3,000 -- we will have to wait to see.

Z8 -- 45.7mp and all the other specs depend on what fits in a cut down Z9 body, but larger than the Z6/Z7, and I would expect this camera to be priced between £3,000 and £4,000 -- it "should" deliver most of the functionality of a full-sized Z9, for pro-pro-sumer shooters, but in a smaller body. I reject all the fake images simply because they are missing the Fn3 button on the front of the camera. Like the Z9 - It "must" have twin CF-Express Type B card slots and probably an even better rear LCD screen. But beyond that then let us wait to see.

Z9ii -- Thom Hogan called this one stating that by the end of 2023 the Z9 will be 2 years old and therefore there "should" be a small physical upgrade in the works -- as noted my hope is for a 1TB SSD and a further step up in what can be done in camera -- but since I have 2 Z9 and luv them both -- I cannot be drawn on what else -- other than the long list of firmware improvement I am seeking -- Nikon can deliver to a physical update, that would not compromise an already stellar performer. [specifically I do not need an EVF or LCD with double the resolution if this draws processing power away from the job of shooting images]. I would like to understand if anything on my long list of desired firmware improvements is constrained by the current Z9's technology. AND obviously at some point Nikon's willingness to keep improving our Z9 bodies via significant firmware updates will reach a natural limit. The Paris 2024 Olympics and the lead up are natural points for a new launch.

We are yet to hear any new Nikon products timed to the 2022 Qatar World Cup and many believe Feb/March 2023 is when the next round of significant (i.e. not lenses or new colours) new Nikon products will emerge. OK that is fine by me. But Dear Nikon -- please in the meantime release the 200-600 so that a host of BIF and wildlife folk who simply would never buy the Z600mm f/4.0 TC can have a nice christmas. OH and while you are at it please also release the 85/1.2 so that portrait and studio shooters have one too.

Last edited:
The real "question" is what did Nikon mean when they "said" no longer supporting low level entry cameras -- or -- targeting high end pro-sumer users and content creators and what does this mean for the line-up of cameras in the ECO system.

Like Thom Hogan and others -- I would like to see Nikon dive head first into "only" providing new cameras without Shutters - this means that these new camera need to have stacked BSI sensors, with very fast read times so that they do not suffer from rolling shutter.

Then folk should simply accept that there is demand for sensor resolutions that support 4k to 8k 10-bit to 12-bit video and folk want better image quality than their phone can possibly provide -- as a result 20mp to 60+mp (and multi-shot hi-res options as well) all should be in play. Obviously one "expects" that "all" genuinely new cameras would come with an Expeed 7 cpu and sensors able to support the capabilities of this chip. {assuming Nikon can source enough chips, parts etc...}

I simply do not consider that Nikon has fully exploited the FPS possibilities of High Efficiency * RAW and like others hope that the Z9 and any future bodies are able to use these greatly compressed formats to allow them to deliver even better/fast performance.

I would like to see Nikon embrace the 1TB Internal SSD in the X2D-100C -- but this may move its cameras to a much higher price point and require larger body -- perhaps it could be an option - to replace one card slot with an NVME 2.0 drive or similar.

Lets address the Heritage Range first -- I like the Zfc and would support the issue of a full-frame version with a few more capabilities -- the Df was great fun. BUT a Zf would benefit from IBIS - so I would support another fashionable retro body but with an Fx sensor. Not for me but in many parts of the world Nikon is a fashionable brand.

The current line-up of Dx and Fx bodies has gaps and oddities:

Z30
-- ok the new 20.9mp vlogging camera -- basically a cut down Z50 with no EVF, but improved software, mics and a flip/flop screen -- feedback has been good, but OBVIOUSLY the single largest criticism is that it is "too expensive" -- and yet it seems to be flying off the shelves -- the question is what other Dx lenses do vloggers need and when will the 12-28mm "Power Zoom" and 24mm DX lenses be delivered AND at what price. The Zfc fills the gap of a Z30 with an EVF.

Z50 -- this 20.9mp body is 2 + years old now and while it does provide 4k it needs an update from 8-bit to 10-bit video and IBIS -- the role the Z50 plays in the Dx line up is tied to the potential for the D500 replacement -- my "hope" is that if a Z50ii is launched its resolution would be increased to at least 24mp and comes with more goodies to give entry level shooters an easier time. The current Z50 stands out as a dinosaur -- a good camera but........

Z80/90 -- the long hoped for D500 replacement -- since the X-H2 and Canon have done it with slightly smaller sensors there is no technical reasons that should such a camera be launched in a "small" pro-body that it could have a 30-40mp resolution sensor, while being good in low light, and high lossless RAW FPS -- a higher resolution mirrorless D500. It must be offered with an optional battery grip which can accomodate an EN-EL18 battery. On the downside -- Other than a few BIF shooters it is not clear to me what the market is for such a camera -- and this is where the interplay with any future Z50 replacement comes in -- could a Z50ii meet the demands of the BIF community, while also serving as a natural stepping stone from Z30 for slightly more experienced shooters AND still be an attractive small, light and relatively low cost camera for those that want such. Somehow I think not -- those who demand a D500 replacement simply want a cut down Z9 with similar resolution and capabilities but with the Dx sized sensor AND this means it will be relatively heavy and expensive. I still have my doubts and consider it clashes with bodies in the Fx line up.

Z5 -- 24MP 4½ FPS Full-Frame Stabilized Mirrorless, 4K/29.97 -- when looking at the Z5 and Z6ii one has to ask why does the Z5 exist and what role would a Z5ii successor play in the line up. Well like others this depends on what the Z6iii and Z7iii are to be -- as noted below -- if the Z6iii is given slightly higher resolution and the Z7iii bumped up to 61+mp then the Z5ii has a clear position as the entry level Fx body with a 24mp stabilised sensor and good video - 4k hopefully improved to 10-bit. HOWEVER, if the Z6iii stays at 24.5mp then the overlap between the Z5 and Z6 lines continues to be odd. Sure the Z6ii is 2/3rds more expensive, but the gap is specification is not vast and one would expect a Z6iii to be given a huge step up in performance when Z9 tech is built in. The question for the Z5ii as the ~£1,000 entry level FF body si whether at this price point a shutterless stacked/BSI sensor can be included together with a "lite" Expeed 7 CPU or does the price point simply limit what can be built into the body. I believe so, but have no clue on where Nikon can or will go with the Z5

Z6iii - 24MP FX, IBIS, ISO 50~204,800, Silent 14 FPS -- like others I suspect that this will be the next camera body that Nikon launch, perhaps at the same time as a Z8 (see below) -- the Z6ii plays a key role in the current line up as both the "king" of low light and the best video camera (excluding the Z9). The dual CPU technology has probably served its purpose and so "should" a Z6iii be issued then I "hope" it comes with both an Expeed 7 chip and BSI/Stacked sensor that delivers 30mp resolution and high fps for less than £2,000. Uncropped 6k 10-bit video in N-log, Apple ProRes and N-Raw as well. Is 30mp important -- well probably -- to give the Z6iii a bump upto 6k and differentiate it from the Z5ii -- but NOT at the cost improve low light performance -- a stacked BSI sensor will deliver significant quality improvement over the current sensor (if affordable in a £2,000 body) -- reducing the pixel pitch would not help low light performance. I also wonder what could be done in the sensor design to "give us back" the advantages of the central x-type AF point. Currently the contrast AF point all have the same orientation in Sony sensors -- moving to a different pattern would I assume help address some of the low light AF issues we see when comparing Nikon mirrorless AF to the AF performance of say a D6.

Z7iii - 45MP FX, IBIS, 10 FPS Silent ISO 32~102,400 -- here we get into the land of 100% speculation -- will there be a Z8 that in effect is a cut down Z9 (45.7mp sensor etc..) and if it is then what role does a Z7iii play -- the most logical answer is for this body to become the resolution king in Nikon's lineup -- I certainly do not consider a resolution above 65mp is remotely workable (diffraction etc) let alone needed, there is a place for a 62.8mp slower studio / landscape oriented body AND a body that is a worthy successor to the D850 (YES the Z7 was marketed as such, but for many and I owned both it was not). The primary reason for pushing a higher than 45.7mp body is that for Nikon to have 2 45.7 small body cameras in the line up then this really would be duplication. Obviously such a high-resolution sensor would have a slower fps than a Z9/Z8 and yet - I would still like to see either 1TB SSD or twin CF Express Type B card slots. Will it have a price below £3,000 -- we will have to wait to see.

Z8 -- 45.7mp and all the other specs depend on what fits in a cut down Z9 body, but larger than the Z6/Z7, and I would expect this camera to be priced between £3,000 and £4,000 -- it "should" deliver most of the functionality of a full-sized Z9, for pro-pro-sumer shooters, but in a smaller body. I reject all the fake images simply because they are missing the Fn3 button on the front of the camera. Like the Z9 - It "must" have twin CF-Express Type B card slots and probably an even better rear LCD screen. But beyond that then let us wait to see.

Z9ii -- Thom Hogan called this one stating that by the end of 2023 the Z9 will be 2 years old and therefore there "should" be a small physical upgrade in the works -- as noted my hope is for a 1TB SSD and a further step up in what can be done in camera -- but since I have 2 Z9 and luv them both -- I cannot be drawn on what else -- other than the long list of firmware improvement I am seeking -- Nikon can deliver to a physical update, that would not compromise an already stellar performer. [specifically I do not need an EVF or LCD with double the resolution if this draws processing power away from the job of shooting images]. I would like to understand if anything on my long list of desired firmware improvements is constrained by the current Z9's technology. AND obviously at some point Nikon's willingness to keep improving our Z9 bodies via significant firmware updates will reach a natural limit. The Paris 2024 Olympics and the lead up are natural points for a new launch.

We are yet to hear any new Nikon products timed to the 2022 Qatar World Cup and many believe Feb/March 2023 is when the next round of significant (i.e. not lenses or new colours) new Nikon products will emerge. OK that is fine by me. But Dear Nikon -- please in the meantime release the 200-600 so that a host of BIF and wildlife folk who simply would never buy the Z600mm f/4.0 TC can have a nice christmas. OH and while you are at it please also release the 85/1.2 so that portrait and studio shooters have one too.

You don't mention the newish C2C capabilities that Fuji will have next year using Adobe Frame.io technology. Curious what your thoughts are on that.

I agree that storage is going to the forefront, driven by large uncompressed files and 6 and 8k vid. Tilta just introduced a "handle" for some Sonys that houses external memory.

You don't mention the newish C2C capabilities that Fuji will have next year using Adobe Frame.io technology. Curious what your thoughts are on that.
Yes - since you ask - useless for me and 99.99999% of the world who are not in full-time communication with ultrafast broadband wifi. My real answer is even more scathing and vicious to such moves, which no doubt come with a subscription service -- but inevitable.
SEE -- "YES the grip needs WIFI"

AND I am sure Snapbridge will come with this as well (if it does not already do it).
The important fact is that the camera records images/vids in parallel with transmission.
The concept of a camera without the ability to record is when the baby and bathwater and the tub are all throw out of the window at the same time.
BUT then I am ancient.

People who want to live stream and transmit can already do so -- if they can be bothered to work out how to do it and have the appropriate links/gear.

BUT -- I am fan of considering one's output not just mindlessly posting every shot/vid -- irrespective of value. All images should be reviewed and edited before use.

Last edited:
To me, this image published on Nikonrumors seems authentic.
Why?
1) Look at the details around the Fn1 Button. It is different from the Z9 button layout, so it's not copied from there, but not from Z6/7 either.
2) The top cover of the viewfinder housing is different from Z9 and Z6/7, so probably not just copied.
3) It appears to me as if this is an non-assembled body, with a dummy flange (screws are not real, that little pin on the right is missing). Also the AF light as well as the actual sensor seem to be missing.
4) The flange apparently has moved a bit downwards.

Why would someone make such minor and unimportant changes just to create a mockup?
To me, it makes totally sense that this is a real picture of an unassembled Z8 body.
View attachment 49403
What can we learn from this?
Not much, but it seems to do away with the drive mode selector (maybe a button replacement or a thumb wheel like the 2 main dials?)
Apparently only flash sync or 10pin connector only.
Maybe GPS, since the top cover is not one piece. There needs to be a plastic cover to ensure GPS reception, but it can be for other reasons, too.
It also looks like there will be an AF side button, as with the Z9 (you can see a hint of it on the lower right).
GPS is good, and I like the 10 pin connector.
But I would like to see more screws in such a large mount.
A D850 sized body would be great as long as it took an EN-EL18 battery grip...🦘

Personally I would like to see a d500 replacement. Around 24mp. Like D5, tuned for high ISO at expense of base. 240fps 6k nraw. 60fps raw with pre-capture. Use the whole mount to really fling the little sensor around for true 7 stop VR. Next iteration of Z9 Level AF and processor. 400/4.5 glued to the front.🙂

Interview published this week with Nikon's President, Umatate San. He emphasizes focused investment in video and robotics, with this R&D interfacing closing with high tech metal-printing and medical technology. Imaging and optics are shared among all Nikon's Divisions. It's likely the video, robotics and hightech manufacturing will loop back into automating the precision production of Nikon's own instruments (cameras and lenses inclusive). What's acknowledged here qualifies the April Investor Report

excerpt with emphasis added:
"When I became president in 2019, I decided to focus on imaging products for professionals and hobbyists, and gradually reduced the number of compact cameras. Due to the increase in high-performance products, the average unit price has increased by 20%. In the future, we would like to increase the number of models in a more affordable price range. Development will focus on mirrorless cameras, but single-lens reflex cameras will continue to be sold and will not be withdrawn. Competition in the camera business is fierce, so our goal is to maintain profitability by assuming operating income of about 20 billion yen, the same as the current level, four years from now."

Back