Nikon Z9 - Firmware 5.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had a similar issue with a previous version. Bill on the website gave me this advice:

"Check Custom Setting D9-Show effects of Settings-Except When Using Flash
This was added in Version 3.00."

I can't see this in firmware 5 any longer however I have tested with a flash and as long as the flash is switched on, the viewfinder will brighten up enough for the camera to focus

This is not what I meant. This feature doesn't open the physical aperture to wide open during focusing. It just increases the ISO etc. so that image in the EVF & LCD looks normally exposed.

I was speaking of the feature that lets you to focus lens wide open, and the aperture will step down to shooting aperture only after shutter release. This is basically how Nikon and other DSLR cameras usually work. In FW 5.0 for the Z9 this is now possible, but ONLY in manual focus mode. I'd like to have it enable also for AF, atleast for AF-S.

EDIT:
The new feature is a14 - Max. aperture Lv during MF

I think the odd ISO in a burst was a problem in 3.0 and was fixed very quickly with 3.01.

I saw it only randomly for the short time in 3.0 and i haven't seen that issue since 3.01

Perhaps they just cleaned up the code for that a bit more?

This is in reference to cycle AF. I don't see it being all that fantastic because I have no idea where in the settings you make the changes to implement Cycle AF.
You choose the button you want to assign Cycle AF to - then go into f2, find that button and assign Cycle AF to it. Then each time you press that button it will cycle through the AF modes.

This is in reference to cycle AF. I don't see it being all that fantastic because I have no idea where in the settings you make the changes to implement Cycle AF.
I think this a great feature., particularly when you want to change the focus mode with little fuss. You program one of the buttons (in my case the video recording button) and you change the focus mode by pressing the button. In the winter with heavy glove etc., pressing a button to change focus mode is way easier than trying to manipulate two buttons as I used to do previously.

I haven't found a need for the AF cycle since FW 4.10 with Bird SD. I only need Auto Area, 3D and single point AF modes. 3D and single point combined maybe 5% of the time. All 3 of those are assigned to a button on the back of the camera. Also my default AF mode (the shutter button) I never want to change. Auto Area as default means with the passive AF box tracking, i get the arrows on the box so u can dictate to the camera what I want the camera to focus on and I just hit the button with the AF I want to start focusing and tracking.

Much rather leave my finger on the shutter button and hit AF ON, DISP or the Sub Selector buttons for my AF moves than to need my index finger. I also don't use the lens buttons, instead testing the lens foot on my palm and resting my thumb on the control ring for ISO control

Back