Nikon Z9 - Firmware 5.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I very much like the fact, although limited to manual focus, that you can now focus with lens wide open and the aperture will close down only when pressing the shutter. So it works almost like a typical DSLR.
Sadly this feature isn't yet allowed when using AF which would be even better. For example, in studio while shooting with strobes, and focusing is done under dim modelling lights (eg. flash much more powerfull than ambient light).
Afaik Sony A1 allows this, atleast with some lenses.
I hope they could allow changing the fixed stepdown limit of f5.6 to larger aperture. Using f2.8 for AF would allow 4 times more light to sensor - can't see why it wouldn't be beneficial for focusing.
I had a similar issue with a previous version. Bill on the website gave me this advice:

"Check Custom Setting D9-Show effects of Settings-Except When Using Flash
This was added in Version 3.00."

I can't see this in firmware 5 any longer however I have tested with a flash and as long as the flash is switched on, the viewfinder will brighten up enough for the camera to focus

The settings in the photo and video shooting settings are independent, I can set different ISO settings, white balance, picture control, now shooting mode, and others. It's just that the banks switch as one, choose bank A and it sets bank A in photo and video, choose bank B and it sets bank B in both photo and video. It is not possible to be in bank A for photo and bank B for video.
Exactly.
And like a Photo bank, one can now Rename or Copy video banks in the v5.0 Manage submenu

I did notice that on page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 it says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode. and then the note about The shooting modes banks A through D are set to P right after the firmware is upgraded.

So I wonder if you had your extended menu banks set to on or off?
My menu banks are always set to on

I found on the "Z8", The left side dedicated AF select button, can now be progremened to cycle AF.
I dont have the Z9 in front, Will check if it can do the same.

True but is why I wrote (for wildlife) ;) . It doesn't matter if you shoot with a 70-200 of 100-400, you still need that hand to zoom and hold the lens.
Absolutely.
It is ironic how despite Nikon introducing lighter glass for wildlife photographers to handhold telephotos (300 PF in 2013, 500 PF 2018), they lag behind in the optimal camera settings to optimize AF and exposure controls when using 2 handed support of the rig..... The optimal setups maximize Right Hand Only custom controls... The LnFn, control rings are the obvious exception - on the anterior lens barrel (accessible to the supporting hand).

Just the small tweak to be able to change AF modes using the Red Video Record button made a big difference for a Right Hand Only custom setup.
This was first possible in the Z7 and Z6, prior to the D6, as it seems 2 years passed by before the DSLR team compared notes!

Last edited:
Remarkably it took Nikon many years (D6 in 2020) before they permitted changing AF settings via right+hand-only on a DSLR. Today, their Zed design teams still treat the archaic AF select switch (camera left front, by the lens mount) as sacrosanct - never allow it to be customized to a more relevant function. Today it's useless IME, even on a tripod rig

I think Nikon had planned to separate them out, but for whatever reason haven't, as you have suggested the regional PR videos are like based on previous or un restricted firmware. But it is clear that V5 doesn't work in the way that the USA and UK Nikon sites make out with regard to banks.

While confusing it doesn't matter for me ask use M for everything. Well have to wait and see how this plays out, some say its a bug and one report suggests that Nikon Canada have confirmed it, others say it works as suggested in the release notes, but not the PR videos.
To Quote:-

"Firmware 5.00 Bug Report; "Separate Shooting Modes Now Configurable for PHOTO and VIDEO Modes": So it looks like some users who installed v5.00 Z9 firmware have the same bug as I did where the modes are not separately configurable for eg. PHOTO in mode A and VIDEO in mode D. I reported this to to Nikon Canada and here is their reply:

"Thanks for contacting Nikon Canada. This looks like the case with our Z9 as well. Thanks for letting us know, this has been passed onto our Product Manager and it is being sent to Japan as a way to improve the Z cameras as an updated setting but we cannot guarantee if/when this will be incorporated in a future firmware update."

Last edited:
Don't forget to mention the change in shutter sound. Carefully left out of the changes section (and some others).

Not sure any changes were made? I cannot see or hear any difference in those from V4.10 and Nikon wouldn't miss an oppunrutnity to mention that in the firmware update page. after all they ,mention everything else.

Absolutely.
It is ironic how despite Nikon introducing lighter glass for wildlife photographers to handhold telephotos (300 PF in 2013, 500 PF 2018), they lag behind in the optimal camera settings to optimize AF and exposure controls when using 2 handed support of the rig..... The optimal setups maximize Right Hand Only custom controls... The LnFn, control rings are the obvious exception - on the anterior lens barrel (accessible to the supporting hand).

Just the small tweak to be able to change AF modes using the Red Video Record button made a big difference for a Right Hand Only custom setup.
This was first possible in the Z7 and Z6, prior to the D6, as it seems 2 years passed by before the DSLR team compared notes!
This is why I still prefer Sony's control and ergonomic layout. Not only can I control everything I need with my right hand, it's also more consistent between cameras and doesn't' really on lens controls the may or not be on every lens.

"Firmware 5.00 Bug Report; "Separate Shooting Modes Now Configurable for PHOTO and VIDEO Modes": So it looks like some users who installed v5.00 Z9 firmware have the same bug as I did where the modes are not separately configurable for eg. PHOTO in mode A and VIDEO in mode D. I reported this to to Nikon Canada and here is their reply:

"Thanks for contacting Nikon Canada. This looks like the case with our Z9 as well. Thanks for letting us know, this has been passed onto our Product Manager and it is being sent to Japan as a way to improve the Z cameras as an updated setting but we cannot guarantee if/when this will be incorporated in a future firmware update."
Is it possible that whoever did the promo that shows up on Nikon USA web page promoting Seperate Shooting banks just wrote a confusing statement or was confused or whatever? I have seen headline and copy writers make statements that are quite different than the body of a story many times. If so this is a doozy.

Separate shooting banks for video.​

Now you can store your favorite video recording menu settings in their own shooting banks, totally separate from your photography settings. Recall resolution and frame rate combinations, RAW settings, file types and more in an instant.

1710684221021.png

Looking at Nikon Canada response and the possible meaning of the statement, where ever it came from, that "Separate Shooting Modes Now Configurable for Photo and Video Modes" that as well as what is said in notes on the FW download page Nikon USA said :
"• Shooting modes now can be selected in photo and video mode individually." To me this just says that you can now use separate shooting modes in the same shooting bank when your camera is in photo or in video.

Page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode.

Which is how mine now functions ... The "shooting mode" M, P, S, A etc. when camera in photo and in video. For example I can now be set to M when camera in Photo mode in bank A and to P when in Video Mode.

This is why I still prefer Sony's control and ergonomic layout. Not only can I control everything I need with my right hand, it's also more consistent between cameras and doesn't' really on lens controls the may or not be on every lens.
Hmm. I find every control i need available to my shooting hand other then the ISO on the lens ring. I have never wanted or felt the need to use lens buttons on my Nikon DSLRs or my Z9

Hmm. I find every control i need available to my shooting hand other then the ISO on the lens ring. I have never wanted or felt the need to use lens buttons on my Nikon DSLRs or my Z9
I can change my ISO on the Sony with the dial on the back with my right hand, allowing me to keep a finger on the manual focus ring, which is how I prefer to shoot. I find sometimes helping AF my getting it close manually is helpful. I use a bunch of different lenses, so each focus ring and control ring are at slightly different distances. It's nice to have everything in the same place on the Sony.

However, don't read something into my statement that's not there. I still tend to use Nikon most of the time simply because I prefer their lenses. While I prefer the Sony cameras, I don't dislike the Nikon cameras either. It's not really B&W. It's more of I like the Sony 15% better, but I like Nikon's lenses 20% more than Sonys :)

I have the weirdest thing with assigning the Shooter Recall Hold to Fn1.
Standard settings are A priority
Upon pressing the Fn1 button do I like the hold function:
- Shutter priority
- Shutter speed 1/3.200
- ISO auto
- Matrix metering
- +2 stops over exposed

And yet, it just not accepts this setting even so there is no other recall function (hold or no hold) assigned to any other button.
Anybody a clue on what I am missing here?

I have the weirdest thing with assigning the Shooter Recall Hold to Fn1.
Standard settings are A priority
Upon pressing the Fn1 button do I like the hold function:
- Shutter priority
- Shutter speed 1/3.200
- ISO auto
- Matrix metering
- +2 stops over exposed

And yet, it just not accepts this setting even so there is no other recall function (hold or no hold) assigned to any other button.
Anybody a clue on what I am missing here?
Make sure you're tapping the Menu button once everything is set or it won't lock in (LOL, ask me how I know)

Which is how mine now functions ... The "shooting mode" M, P, S, A etc. when camera in photo and in video. For example I can now be set to M when camera in Photo mode in bank A and to P when in Video Mode.
On my Z9, when I set Mode to P, A, S, or M in the Photo shooting menu, that same mode is set when I switch to Video shooting mode, and vice-versa. I cannot simultaneously be in A in Photo and P in Video. Extended menu banks are set to ON in both Photo and Video shooting menus.

I’m still confused about what Nikon intended with the description on page 31 of the supplemental guide for FW 5.00.

I am doubting things like 30fps raw or pre capture raw are possible with the current processor in the z8-9.
Quite possible. If the hardware architecture of the processor and bus controller is such that it’s nearly maxed out at 20 fps of lossless compressed data, then it’s a fixed limitation. Also if the the bus controller circuitry is embedded in the Expeed 7 chip (as I suspect it is, in order to have the best performance possible), an Expeed 8 processor will likely provide much improved data throughput.

Last edited:
Lot of us were expecting major performance improvements like 30FPS in HE mode, Pre-capture in Raw etc. but looking at this update, i am of the opinion that Nikon will reserve all the further performance improvements for the upcoming models like Z9H or Z9II/S….Will be surprised if we see any more major updates to Z9/8.
The release cycle for professional film (SLR) cameras from Nikon was typically about every 8 years (on average). The release cycle for professional digital (DSLR) cameras from Nikon was about every 4 years. This means that we're not likely to see a Z9 II until the very end of 2025, with a Z8 II release date most likely a year to a year and a half later (late 2026/mid 2027). It's doubtful that we won't see any firmware updates between now and then.

Back