Nikon Z9 - Firmware 5.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I can change my ISO on the Sony with the dial on the back with my right hand, allowing me to keep a finger on the manual focus ring, which is how I prefer to shoot. I find sometimes helping AF my getting it close manually is helpful. I use a bunch of different lenses, so each focus ring and control ring are at slightly different distances. It's nice to have everything in the same place on the Sony.

However, don't read something into my statement that's not there. I still tend to use Nikon most of the time simply because I prefer their lenses. While I prefer the Sony cameras, I don't dislike the Nikon cameras either. It's not really B&W. It's more of I like the Sony 15% better, but I like Nikon's lenses 20% more than Sonys :)
I am not reading into anything, just an observation. I don't need or ever use my manual focus ring. I have that actually disabled in the Z9 menus. My lens foot rests in my left hand so my thumb rests on the control ring. I couldn't reach my lens buttons even if I wanted to, I'd have to change my shooting style/position for them. Nikon doesn't have a dedicated ISO dial. Though I am glad for this. The Ergos Nikon has is ideal for me and the control ring is perfect and like cheating

On my Z9, when I set Mode to P, A, S, or M in the Photo shooting menu, that same mode is set when I switch to Video shooting mode, and vice-versa. I cannot simultaneously be in A in Photo and P in Video. Extended menu banks are set to ON in both Photo and Video shooting menus.

I’m still confused about what Nikon intended with the description on page 31 of the supplemental guide for FW 5.00.
On page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 it says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode.

I do not do much video but my video banks have always had different settings than those in my photo banks that pertain only to video. And that is still the same. The only difference I saw was the ability to use a different shooting mode ie. Program for video while using manual for photo. So if I go down to my banks in video and choose bank A gives me different settings than if I am in photo bank A.

So you have to set the shooting mode you want in video shooting menu and photo shooting menu. I did that with my switch set video when setting the shooting mode in the video shooting menu and to photo when setting the shooting mode in the photo shooting menu. That worked for me.

On page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 it says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode.

I do not do much video but my video banks have always had different settings than those in my photo banks that pertain only to video. And that is still the same. The only difference I saw was the ability to use a different shooting mode ie. Program for video while using manual for photo. So if I go down to my banks in video and choose bank A gives me different settings than if I am in photo bank A.

So you have to set the shooting mode you want in video shooting menu and photo shooting menu. I did that with my switch set video when setting the shooting mode in the video shooting menu and to photo when setting the shooting mode in the photo shooting menu. That worked for me.
I watched Ricci Chera's youtube video again to be certain of what he said regarding this topic. This is from the transcript: "...the Shooting Menu Bank and the Video Recording Menu Bank are now separated. Previously if you wanted to set those Banks up for Stills and Video, they were always linked. So, if you changed from Bank A to Bank B in your Photo Shooting Menu, it changed to Bank B in your Video Recording Menu. But now they are independent of each other."

This is not the behavior I am seeing on my camera. They are still linked, and that's what's confusing to me.

Last edited:

Also, Ken, there are settings which are linked between the Photo Shooting Menu and the Video Recording Menu. For example, if you are in Aperture priority in the Photo Shooting Menu you will also be in Aperture priority the Video Recording Menu. You cannot be in M in Photo and simultaneously be n P in Video. If you are able to do that, I'd really like to know how.

I watched Ricci Chera's youtube video again to be certain of what he said regarding this topic. This is from the transcript: "...the Shooting Menu Bank and the Video Recording Menu Bank are now separated. Previously if you wanted to set those Banks up for Stills and Video, they were always linked. So, if you change from Bank A to Bank B in your Photo Shooting Menu, it changed to Bank B in your Video Recording Menu. But now they are independent of each other."

This is not the behavior I am seeing on my camera, and that's what's confusing to me.
Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion over this and that statement was not correct. Lot's of speculation as to why. Take a look at my posts #240 and 206 and others above. The blurb on the Nikon USA page is also confusing but the firmware update notes and the Z9 reference guide supplement for fw 5.0 indicate the only change is the ability to use different shooting modes. There are essentially still 4 shooting banks with a photo and video subset in each.

Also, Ken, there are settings which are linked between the Photo Shooting Menu and the Video Recording Menu. For example, if you are in Aperture priority in the Photo Shooting Menu you will also be in Aperture priority the Video Recording Menu. You cannot be in M in Photo and simultaneously be n P in Video. If you are able to do that, I'd really like to know how.
As I noted it has to be done carefully since it functions essentially like it always has with other settings in the shooting menu when you select menu A, B, C or D but if you have your camera in photo mode and you go to the shooting photo menu A and change the shooting mode to M and exit that menu and then change the camera to video mode and go to the video menu A and change the shooting mode to P and exit the menu. When I did that with extended menu banks set to on and clicked the menu and left that and went back to shooting mode when the camera is in photo mode and half press the shutter it is now in Manual M and for me auto iso and functioning as that bank always had. When I flip the selector switch and go to video and press the video record button it takes a video using program mode P with the other settings from the video shooting menu.

As I noted it has to be done carefully since it functions essentially like it always has with other settings in the shooting menu when you select menu A, B, C or D but if you have your camera in photo mode and you go to the shooting photo menu A and change the shooting mode to M and exit that menu and then change the camera to video mode and go to the video menu A and change the shooting mode to P and exit the menu. When I did that with extended menu banks set to on and clicked the menu and left that and went back to shooting mode when the camera is in photo mode and half press the shutter it is now in Manual M and for me auto iso and functioning as that bank always had. When I flip the selector switch and go to video and press the video record button it takes a video using program mode P with the other settings from the video shooting menu.
Why not change the modes from the mode button?

Why not change the modes from the mode button?
That is how you change the mode with the mode button when the shoot menu bank is selected. That is a two handed operation. Once you have that selected now in the photo and video shooting menus it becomes a one handed switch if you want different shooting modes for photo and video. So now I can have my support hand supporting the Z800 or Z180-600 and my eye to the view finder and when I flip the photo/video selector from photo to video it is now in P shooting mode and flip the sector back to photo and it is back to M shooting mode.

As I noted it has to be done carefully since it functions essentially like it always has with other settings in the shooting menu when you select menu A, B, C or D but if you have your camera in photo mode and you go to the shooting photo menu A and change the shooting mode to M and exit that menu and then change the camera to video mode and go to the video menu A and change the shooting mode to P and exit the menu. When I did that with extended menu banks set to on and clicked the menu and left that and went back to shooting mode when the camera is in photo mode and half press the shutter it is now in Manual M…
Ken, I think I understand now. I wasn’t changing the switch (the one around the (DISP) button from photo to video. When I do that I can have M in photo and A in video. Page 31 in the supplement is now clear. As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with banks and the photo and video menus, though.

Regarding Ricci, perhaps he was working with a prerelease of FW 5 with functionality which wasn’t in the final code.

Regardless, I understand now. Thanks for your patience! 👍🏽

Ken, I think I understand now. I wasn’t changing the switch (the one around the (DISP) button from photo to video. When I do that I can have M in photo and A in video. Page 31 in the supplement is now clear. As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with banks and the photo and video menus, though.

Regarding Ricci, perhaps he was working with a prerelease of FW 5 with functionality which wasn’t in the final code.

Regardless, I understand now. Thanks for your patience! 👍🏽
It does impact the shooting menu banks just like any other change you make when you have that bank selected in the shooting menu.

When you change the mode with the mode button when the shoot menu photo or video bank A, B, C or D are selected and exit the menu you now have the shooting mode you had selected for that photo or video bank A, B, C or D. That is a two handed operation.

Once you have that selected in the photo and video shooting menus it becomes a one handed switch if you want different shooting modes for photo and video.

So now I can have my support hand supporting the Z800 or Z180-600 and my eye to the view finder and when I flip the photo/video selector from photo to video it is now in P shooting mode and flip the sector back to photo and it is back to M shooting mode.

Shure wish Nikon would have made this thing less confusing.

Yes, thank you, I understand.

What I meant was, I was conflating what I heard from Ricci with my misunderstanding of what was in the fw documentation and ending up very confused. It’s all clear now. Thanks again!

Yes, thank you, I understand.

What I meant was, I was conflating what I heard from Ricci with my misunderstanding of what was in the fw documentation and ending up very confused. It’s all clear now. Thanks again!
Got it ... speculation that Ricci was using the blurb you can see above from Nikon to make the statement about the photo and video menu banks being separate or that he had some pre release version that did that but was pulled I guess needs to be answered by Ricci :cool:

Shure wish Nikon would have made this thing less confusing.
If I ever have an opportunity to speak with anyone in authority with with Nikon Imaging, I’d strongly recommend that they improve the clarity of their documentation. Sometimes it’s not helpful at all. And the lack of consistency in menus from one camera to another is quite frustrating. It’s a shame because other tech companies have gotten much better at this, although no one is perfect.

It’d behoove them to have listening sessions with a variety of customers around the world to hear directly from them.

If I ever have an opportunity to speak with anyone in authority with with Nikon Imaging, I’d strongly recommend that they improve the clarity of their documentation. Sometimes it’s not helpful at all. And the lack of consistency in menus from one camera to another is quite frustrating. It’s a shame because other tech companies have gotten much better at this, although no one is perfect.

It’d behoove them to have listening sessions with a variety of customers around the world to hear directly from them.
I was a marketing manager for a farm machinery manufacturing company for years (a long long time ago). Our marketing materials and technical manuals were old fashioned paper. I, my customer service manager and my administrative assistant spent a lot of hours reviewing what we, our ad agency, our engineers and their support staff wrote to try and make sure things matched. And it usually did not on the first run through. Then we had to proof read what the printers did. So with a lot of diligence the two sides almost always jived by the time our customers were seeing it :)

That is how you change the mode with the mode button when the shoot menu bank is selected. That is a two handed operation. Once you have that selected now in the photo and video shooting menus it becomes a one handed switch if you want different shooting modes for photo and video. So now I can have my support hand supporting the Z800 or Z180-600 and my eye to the view finder and when I flip the photo/video selector from photo to video it is now in P shooting mode and flip the sector back to photo and it is back to M shooting mode.
As a side note, you can add the shooting mode [Mode button] to just about any button making it a one hand operation in the custom controls section.

Last edited:
As a side note, you can add the shooting mode [Mode button] to just about any button making it a one hand operation in the custom controls section.
my other buttons on the right hand side my short fingers can reach are full. Since I have shot 2 videos in the last 2 years and I only use manual with auto iso in photo this is an experiment. Who knows I might want to pop off a short video some time.

This no longer appears on the Nikon USA web site related to the Z9 FW 5.0, it is gone

IMG_9474.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Got it ... speculation that Ricci was using the blurb you can see above from Nikon to make the statement about the photo and video menu banks being separate or that he had some pre release version that did that but was pulled I guess needs to be answered by Ricci :cool:

Here’s what I sent to Nikon UK:
In a recent YouTube video regarding Nikon Z9 Firmware 5.00 (
, beginning at 3:27 in the video), Ricci Chera said this: "...the Shooting Menu Bank and the Video Recording Menu Bank are now separated. Previously if you wanted to set those Banks up for Stills and Video, they were always linked. So, if you changed from Bank A to Bank B in your Photo Shooting Menu, it changed to Bank B in your Video Recording Menu. But now they are independent of each other. This is particularly useful for those of you that use your Z9 as a hybrid camera, shooting for Stills and also shooting for Video."

After updating my Z9 camera with firmware 5.00 I am not seeing the behavior that Ricci described. Whichever Bank I select in the Photo Shooting Menu is also set in the Video Recording Menu, and vice-versa. They are not independent at all.

I can find no reference to what Ricci described in the supplement to the Z9 Reference Guide, nor in the notes provided on the firmware update page. Have I misunderstood Ricci's comment, or was this capability meant for availability in Firmware 5.00 but was removed before release?

Thanks for your help!

This is the reply I received this morning:
Thank you for contacting Nikon customer support and raising this matter with us.

According to the information that is being explained in the YouTube video you provided, the shooting menu banks should be able to be selected independently from one another (Photo shooting and Video Recording), however, we have tried on our end to replicate what the information says in the video and are unable to replicate this, such as you have explained.

Therefore, we will be escalating this matter to the relevant technical team to look further into so that we can advise further.

Once we have a relevant update we will inform you and continue our correspondence.

We thank you for your patience during this time and we look forward to getting back to you soon.

Under Other Changes I see the following:

• - Optimal exposure could sometimes not be achieved in burst or focus shift shooting.
Does anyone know what it means and any test done to confirm or refute this fix?

I wonder if this solves my problem that I posted last year here:

Back