Nikon Z9 HE and HE* Raw Support

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looks like Capture One has now added Z9 high efficiency support. Will have to update my version and try it.

It’s strange that Nikon Rumors didn’t report this. I’ve been waiting for this since getting the Z9 and just checked for updates over the weekend and didn’t have any. Updated now and will have to go find something to shoot tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for posting about it.

Just updated to Capture One 15.4.1 and shot and imported a couple dozen Z9 HE* files. HE* files handle normally; everything looks fine. No issues that I can see. NEF Files sizes dropped from Lossless Compressed at an average of 55mb each to an average of the mid 30's mb for HE*. The test shots were all at ISO 64 no exposure compensation. Now my aging eyes are not that in tune to looking for minor differences in the images, e.g., dynamic range or whatever. So, no comment about any differences. I'll try some shots later at higher ISOs closer to sunset. That might be more telling. Images were recorded on a Delkin XQD card.

Really pleased (and somewhat surprised) that Capture One included this update in CP-1 ver. 22 instead of making me pay for an upgrade later this fall to CP-1 Ver. 23 to use HE* or HE. Side Note: My system is a MacBook Pro M1 running Monterey 12.6. I cannot see the Z9 thumbnails (lossless compressed or HE) in Finder. MAC OS does not support the Z9 NEFs yet. But they are, of course, visible in Capture One in the file browser.

EDIT: When I look at the metadata for the HE* files in Capture One, there is no indication that the file is HE* or HE versus Lossless Compressed. The only way one can tell is by looking at the file size in Finder. The same is true in Nikon NX Studio - only hint that the file is HE* or HE is the file size.
In Nikon NX Studio, under File & Camera Information, Info 2 - Image Quality you can see which is which. 1) Lossless Compressed RAW (14-bit), 2) RAW: High-Efficiency, Quality-Priority (14-bit) or 3) RAW: High-Efficiency (14-bit). The second one is HE* and the third one is HE.

In Nikon NX Studio, under File & Camera Information, Info 2 - Image Quality you can see which is which. 1) Lossless Compressed RAW (14-bit), 2) RAW: High-Efficiency, Quality-Priority (14-bit) or 3) RAW: High-Efficiency (14-bit). The second one is HE* and the third one is HE.

Thanks Leno77: Appreciate the correction and update to my post about seeing the type of NEF file compression in NX Studio.

Back