Nikon Z9 software 4.0 slow motion video corrupting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Nikon Z9 and excitedly updated it to the 4.0 version of the software. That's the most up-to-date as far as I'm aware. I've had it "freeze" on me twice so far, which I'm not too concerned about (maybe I should be).
But I've noticed a bug on a few different occasions when shooting the new video file format in .mp4 120fps slow motion, it actually saves the video as a 24p file. But about 10-20% of my files of this type come out corrupted. That's the best I can describe them, some have a checkered red and white flickering throughout the whole video file and other files will have a pink and white flickering. The is no discernable detail or anything else than the discolored flickering.

Am I the only one getting this? Does anyone know of a fix or any recommendations on what to do? I've tried two different cards and get the same issues on both.

Only a few select CFexpress cards are fast enough for the Z9 video output. I am using Prograde Cobalt 325GB and Delkin Black 650GB and Delkin Power 2TB with no problems shooting video.

Only a few select CFexpress cards are fast enough for the Z9 video output. I am using Prograde Cobalt 325GB and Delkin Black 650GB and Delkin Power 2TB with no problems shooting video.
I'm using an Angelbird AV PRO SX for video, with a minimum sustained write speed of 1480 MB/s. That's well over the necessary speed for 8K RAW and I did a video clip in 12-bit N-LOG RAW to test, over a minute in with no issue. Card speed is not the problem and my file corrupting issue only happens intermittently. I couldn't get it to happen again tonight in over 30 video clips at 1080/24p 120fps as it was before. I'll keep trying to get a corrupted file to show you guys.
Screenshot_20230807-234446.png
Here is the back of my camera showing the 8K 60p recording.

Could it be that you switched back to camera/photo mode without first stopping the recording? The Z9 issues a warning when you do, but I assume that could easily cause corruption.

Could it be that you switched back to camera/photo mode without first stopping the recording? The Z9 issues a warning when you do, but I assume that could easily cause corruption.
No, it was still in video mode the whole time. If you switch into photo mode while recording a video, you get an error message on screen saying recording was interrupted and the video stops.

My guess is that it's a problem with the card.
I thought so at first too. I was hoping, but getting the same issue on two different cards though... I highly doubt it now.

One of the times when the corrupted files occured, the camera's back screen was also flashing in a white n red pattern and wouldn't respond to anything. I had to take out the battery for it to reset.
That only happened once though. The later time I got bad video files, it was just the video file that went bad, not the camera too.

I thought so at first too. I was hoping, but getting the same issue on two different cards though... I highly doubt it now.

One of the times when the corrupted files occured, the camera's back screen was also flashing in a white n red pattern and wouldn't respond to anything. I had to take out the battery for it to reset.
That only happened once though. The later time I got bad video files, it was just the video file that went bad, not the camera too.
Do you have access to external recorder via HDMI?

I don't have one, but I know someone who does. I could probably get access to it for a bit if I asked nicely.
What would you suggest I try with that?

See if it records to external drive, same settings. That would help with whether the issue is the cards. As @Garfield said, that's the typical issue with data-intensive video files.

Any issues with other settings? 24fps nlog 10-bit?

maybe your cards don't have fast enough mb/s speed and hence buffering happens. You don't say anything about the cards your using
@realspeed please review my card specs posted earlier.

"I'm using an Angelbird AV PRO SX for video, with a minimum sustained write speed of 1480 MB/s. That's well over the necessary speed for 8K RAW and I did a video clip in 12-bit N-LOG RAW to test, over a minute in with no issue. Card speed is not the problem"

Hi guys! I'm back with some more information.
I note it doesn't seem to be occuring on videos with other settings than specifically 1920x1080 in 120p slow-mo (not the regular 120p video, I can't speak to that setting as I haven't shot in that mode enough to know)
I've been making casual video clips every now and then over the past couple of weeks and I've caught 3 more corrupted video files. I'll attach some pictures so you can see.

I did notice Nikon's new firmware for the Z9, and it mentions fixing a bug for 1080p video. I will be installing this on my camera and continuing testing.

Screenshot_20230827-003914.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

original_adbd90fb-4a22-420f-bfb1-066b6e7483d3_Screenshot_20230827-003912.jpg

Screenshot_20230827-003909.jpg

original_fd002bab-b715-4cca-a759-98ad32411011_Screenshot_20230827-003906.jpg

Hey guys, quick update on my situation here. When update 4.0 came out, I immediately grabbed my camera and did the update. I've shot a bunch of random pictures and video afterward, including several photoshoots and an event.. I haven't had any issue after the software update. Nikon mentioned a bug fix that sounded exactly like what I was experiencing.

Back