Nikon Z9 v4 Firmware

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Welcome to the mood swings of the digital electronic computerized camera world called advancement in technology LOL.

With the eye tracking, 3 d tracking, subject detection, and all those focus options, don't worry to much about it, time will help a lot here, i personally feel we put to much dependency or pressure on needing these features. I tend to use it less than more often, it works better in ideal conditions and specifically suitable subjects, and yes light is our best friend or worst enemy.

Below are some quick snaps using, mostly low res camera with say 50mm 1.4 D or 300mm lens, all hand held and getting seriously close using old school skills LOL.

There not perfect or esoteric fine art shots, but shows we can still get some eyes in focus ourselves if we wish LOL.

The Gorilla was initially a long way away and its a massively cropped image, my eye contact with him which was a mistake made him charge with lighting speed so much so you couldn't see him coming he was just that quick, the fact i was 20 feet up above him saved me being seriously hurt. I wont do that again.

Its good to embrace new technology, but i feel we shouldn't give up on our well learned skill sets, they still work, and don't play up on you LOL.

The model in the bath is really unedited but the D4s did well using just the 50mm 1.8 D
The seagull was on the D3X 300 2.8 VR II hand held ( heavy) with a 2 times TC III making it 600mm, i cant remember.

View attachment 64923

View attachment 64926

View attachment 64928
View attachment 64929
View attachment 64930
View attachment 64933
At the time I was trying to practice staying on focus with some pretty small eyes so I have to take that into consideration also, I just haven't had a lot of time to spend with cameras lately so when I have a chance to steal a couple minutes I do what I can. You are right, computers are glitchy sometimes so I have pretty much learned to live with the limitations. You have to admit though, technology has come a long way from the days I loaded a strip with 36 shots on it into a camera.

Maybe so but when it was acting up it didn't matter if I was at 1:1 or trying to shoot something 10 feet away, it would not go below 4.5 no matter what.
Yes i find it strange that it wouldn't go below 4.5.

I have experienced similar with some some other lenses a while back and both on my D3X, D850 and Z9, i don't know why and then later the issues gone all on its own, bizarre in my case, doesn't happen often, i was thinking it may be the lens rather than the cameras being worlds apart in technology.

At the time I was trying to practice staying on focus with some pretty small eyes so I have to take that into consideration also, I just haven't had a lot of time to spend with cameras lately so when I have a chance to steal a couple minutes I do what I can. You are right, computers are glitchy sometimes so I have pretty much learned to live with the limitations. You have to admit though, technology has come a long way from the days I loaded a strip with 36 shots on it into a camera.
Absolutely, and most of it is very welcome, but i must say maybe not all of it LOL.

I miss being able to fix and service my own van instead of having it towed.
Or be locked out of the van while on a trip only because the doors wont unlock as one of the 7 sensors in the drivers door lock handle assembly had a spec of dust harboring moisture corrupting the connection, then being towed, then costing $1200 for the exclusive dealership to pull the door apart to fix the issue, then plug in the computer to reset all the security again.

With Cameras there is less and less for us to do as so much is becoming so automated, who knows where it will end up, LOL.

Yes its not easy with small eyes LOL, those birds move so fast. I find my 300 2.8 VR II really works a treat at F2.8, it really helps the focus acquisition and micro contrast detail, also that lens is just breathtaking at F2.8. I would like a 800mm but i don't think i would have enough use for one ?

The record shot below is a image taken on my 16mp DF and my old 150-500 Sigma with broken VR.

Its at 500mm and i had on it the SB 400 i always take with me everywhere as its so so tiny and light and just does an amazing job.

I crawled under a low canopy of a trees, and in this case peeped to the top of the tree till i could find the pigeon, i zoomed out to 500mm hand held, the DF with the large D4 optimized sensor and 9 focus dots, in matrix, made this record shot in JPEG. SS 1/200, iso 360, F-stop 7.1, EV -2.3, i mean modern cameras and lenses make it so much easier and have so much more detail, but here the point being, its not that hard to nail the eye etc.

Or should i say, Note the eye tracking of the DF LOL, i liked the look of the environment in the tree canopy, shortly after the pigeon was doing a dance calling for a female.

I find when i look at images on the back screen of a camera, they always look better on later model cameras, but once in the computer they seem more neck and neck than not.

SB 400 on DF at 500mm 150-500 Sigma.

_DSC8102-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Absolutely, and most of it is very welcome, but i must say maybe not all of it LOL.

I miss being able to fix and service my own van instead of having it towed.
Or be locked out of the van while on a trip only because the doors wont unlock as one of the 7 sensors in the drivers door lock handle assembly had a spec of dust harboring moisture corrupting the connection, then being towed, then costing $1200 for the exclusive dealership to pull the door apart to fix the issue, then plug in the computer to reset all the security again.

With Cameras there is less and less for us to do as so much is becoming so automated, who knows where it will end up, LOL.
What type of car?

What type of car?
VW Van, i mean their really good brilliant in fact, but gee if the slightest thing goes wrong its usually electronic and certainly not cheap. I got rid of it and got a Toyota High Ace SLWB 2.8 ltr diesel New.

With my old Toyota van it was all mechanical everything was adjustable with linkages nuts and bolts, i could R and R Injectors, fuel pump, radiator, brakes gear box, do my own pump adjustments, change the oil etc etc, now the new vehicles..WOW so complicated and dependent on the dealership. I found out the at the last service that the lane assist ie: keeping you from drifting out of your lane is not so reliable as they would like...........sound familiar.

Yes i find it strange that it wouldn't go below 4.5.

I have experienced similar with some some other lenses a while back and both on my D3X, D850 and Z9, i don't know why and then later the issues gone all on its own, bizarre in my case, doesn't happen often, i was thinking it may be the lens rather than the cameras being worlds apart in technology.
I just thought of something else, when it would only go down to 4.5 it would go up to an insane number like f120 or something really crazy like that as I was turning the dial back and forth trying to get it to go lower than 4.5.

I just thought of something else, when it would only go down to 4.5 it would go up to an insane number like f120 or something really crazy like that as I was turning the dial back and forth trying to get it to go lower than 4.5.
Yes i have seen that happen before but not on the Macro S lens, resetting the camera to factory specks fixed it, it also happened on my D3X of all things with a lens once and i was confused. Impossible i thought.

VW Van, i mean their really good brilliant in fact, but gee if the slightest thing goes wrong its usually electronic and certainly not cheap. I got rid of it and got a Toyota High Ace SLWB 2.8 ltr diesel New.

With my old Toyota van it was all mechanical everything was adjustable with linkages nuts and bolts, i could R and R Injectors, fuel pump, radiator, brakes gear box, do my own pump adjustments, change the oil etc etc, now the new vehicles..WOW so complicated and dependent on the dealership. I found out the at the last service that the lane assist ie: keeping you from drifting out of your lane is not so reliable as they would like...........sound familiar.
Out of curiosity I turned my lane assist back on today on my RAV4 Adventure when I was cruising down the freeway to go birding ... still annoying needs a firmware update ... turned it back off before I hit the gravel, dirt then 2 track roads where it gets really annoying :)

Out of curiosity I turned my lane assist back on today on my RAV4 Adventure when I was cruising down the freeway to go birding ... still annoying needs a firmware update ... turned it back off before I hit the gravel, dirt then 2 track roads where it gets really annoying :)
Yes to day i went up to Palm Beach winding twisting road, lane assist was hot and cold, the information on the dash that looked like a jet fighter cockpit out of Top Gun just changed on its own and was so full of just a overwhelming amount of totally superfluous information.

Toyota did a reset on that and then one for the transmission as the tilt switch was engaging low gear on a down hill slope, i was told they fixed it, now it seems the reset didn't take.

National Road side service says 95% of call outs are related to electronic/electrical issues with these new cars.

Its great to embrace new technology, but not if its over complicated and or problematic. Same with camera gear.

I guess its not that much different with some cameras LOL.

The biggest issue we now have is people in the middle lane on an expressway doing 80 in a 110klm limit because their leaning over to the center of the dash typing.

The other one is some of these auto hi beam lighting modes, your driving along and for unexplained reasons your being blinded with white led lights on hi beam heading towards you or from behind, some of these lightning sensors are problematic similar to the moody lane assist.

Last edited:
New Camera from Nikon

There is a new camera coming from Nikon, soon, its next under the Z8 to be 3rd in line to the crown, it will suite broader applications and be smaller lighter than the Z8.

I don't know if it will be 24 or 45mp but its the next alternative to the Z9 Z8, i am hoping it will be 12 to 15 fps and 45 mp + and suite more land scape, travel, general photography,
as well as be a little less sophisticated. Weight and size wise around the Z7II approximately 700 gms.

The Z8 and D850 are similar in weight.

The Z7II and Sony A 1 are close in weight, i feel this size and weight will be nice, but gee it shows how Sony got things so right so long ago.

Only an opinion

Back