Nikon Zf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i suspect they are delayed with the z6iii (my bet is waiting on a sensor) and so i think the zf makes a lot of sense. while it's "kinda a z6", i think the real z6 will have a different, faster sensor, and as such, the zf does a good job giving folks something now, but also by making it a retro, it signals that this _isn't_ the z6.

i think people often get confused and say "why did they build THIS?!", when in reality, they build what they actually CAN build, at that time. if nikon could have built the z9 years before they released it, they (likely) would have done so. if they could deliver the z6iii we think they will make now, they would release it now.

the zf is the camera they can build right now. end of story. it's not more complicated than that.

same with the lenses. they deliver the lenses when they can. if they could have made this 180-600 years ago, they would have. not more complicated than that.

as for the reasons, we can only speculate.

while i'm sorta tempted by the zf, what this really does is make me excited for the z6iii

i suspect they are delayed with the z6iii (my bet is waiting on a sensor) and so i think the zf makes a lot of sense. while it's "kinda a z6", i think the real z6 will have a different, faster sensor, and as such, the zf does a good job giving folks something now, but also by making it a retro, it signals that this _isn't_ the z6.

i think people often get confused and say "why did they build THIS?!", when in reality, they build what they actually CAN build, at that time. if nikon could have built the z9 years before they released it, they (likely) would have done so. if they could deliver the z6iii we think they will make now, they would release it now.

the zf is the camera they can build right now. end of story. it's not more complicated than that.

same with the lenses. they deliver the lenses when they can. if they could have made this 180-600 years ago, they would have. not more complicated than that.

as for the reasons, we can only speculate.

while i'm sorta tempted by the zf, what this really does is make me excited for the z6iii
They've getting my hopes up a new body is imminent by running these sales lately.

I picked one up as a potential addition to my kit I use in venue for concerts. The retro body isn't of high interest to me, but the specs on the camera are. So I'm taking it out tomorrow with my Z6ii - going to leave my Z9 at home for a change. We'll see how it does but I'm expecting it to be on par with my Z6ii with better acquisition....

Also planning to use this as my general walk around body paired with the 24-120 f4.

a tidbit from the latest Grays video.. they are introducing a usb-c pd charger for the en-el15 in conjunction with the zf. this makes me unreasonably happy

and....

they're shipping

i ordered three of these through my local dealer and they received my units

Tested pixel shift today. Gory details here:

BTW, if you're getting the SmallRig cage, it's impossible to get the card out unless you have long nails; I used the pliers on my Leatherman. I'll take a Dremmel to it next week.

a tidbit from the latest Grays video.. they are introducing a usb-c pd charger for the en-el15 in conjunction with the zf. this makes me unreasonably happy

and there was much rejoicing!

image1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BTW, if you're getting the SmallRig cage, it's impossible to get the card out unless you have long nails; I used the pliers on my Leatherman. I'll take a Dremmel to it next week.

Are you talking the SD card or the microSD card? I have no issues getting the regular SD card out with the small rig grip (not sure if that's what you're referring to) and I have no nails at all. I do have to take the battery out to get the microSD card out....but so far it's not been a thing...

Are you talking the SD card or the microSD card? I have no issues getting the regular SD card out with the small rig grip (not sure if that's what you're referring to) and I have no nails at all. I do have to take the battery out to get the microSD card out....but so far it's not been a thing...
There must be something more than just nails-or-not. With the Smallrig grip, I also have issues with taking out the regular sized SD card - not impossible, I managed once, but trying again right now I can't. My fingers simply don't fit to grip the card, neither normally nor on the side.

SD. And this is the SmallRig cage, not grip. As they say, "cheap, fast or good, pick any two." Overnight and dirt cheap...

Obviously someone likes this camera, or more correctly a lot of someones. In addition to Japanese stores being sold out (per article), I just checked Nikon USA. Two colors (gray and green) say out of stock on the order button and will not let you order at all. (Those happen to be the two colors I like myself). All other colors say backordered and will let you order now but will not ship until it is back in stock.

I like mine! I sold my "big" Fuji X gear for a Zf. I think the Fuji has the better controls by a fair margin, but the AF (subject detection and 3D tracking) and high ISO performance is considerably better on the Nikon. Lightroom mangles Nikon files considerably less than Fuji files, too.

With the Zf, Nikon finally took the Z8/Z9 AF and stuffed it into a "low-end" body. The retro controls are the most prominent feature of the camera, but if you disable the dials, the Zf is a great overall camera, whose biggest limitation is that there's no AF joystick. (And with 3D tracking I'm finding that's no big deal.)

Right now I'm having fun shooting my new IR Z6, and the Zf is a great compact companion to stuff into the corner of the bag in case I want to shoot some visible light.

I like mine! I sold my "big" Fuji X gear for a Zf. I think the Fuji has the better controls by a fair margin, but the AF (subject detection and 3D tracking) and high ISO performance is considerably better on the Nikon. Lightroom mangles Nikon files considerably less than Fuji files, too.

With the Zf, Nikon finally took the Z8/Z9 AF and stuffed it into a "low-end" body. The retro controls are the most prominent feature of the camera, but if you disable the dials, the Zf is a great overall camera, whose biggest limitation is that there's no AF joystick. (And with 3D tracking I'm finding that's no big deal.)

Right now I'm having fun shooting my new IR Z6, and the Zf is a great compact companion to stuff into the corner of the bag in case I want to shoot some visible light.
I actually like the retro controls especially when I use it with my old Ai-s lenses. Feels like the good old days, but with free film! :)

As for the lack of joystick, I haven’t used it yet, but I’ve read a few reviews that said the touch screen control works really well once you get used to it.

I like the dials, too. I think Fuji did it better, with an "auto" position on each wheel, and the rest of the wheel being manual settings. With my Zf I have to dedicate a (precious) button to turning auto ISO on or off.

When shooting fully manual, it doesn't matter. When jumping between aperture priority and manual, and turning auto ISO on and off, it's not as elegant as Fuji's solution.

As always, plusses and minuses for each camera.

I primarily shoot in manual with Auto ISO, and actually prefer the Nikon implementation over Fuji. Switching from manual to Aperture Priority means I just ignore the shutter dial. When I switch back to manual, the shutter dial is where I left it. Switching from Aperture to Shutter Priority is also much faster. I do kind of wish they put an “A” position on the ISO dial, but I’m okay with putting it at the top of My Menu and using the OK to toggle Auto ISO on/off. I typically only use manual ISO for long exposures, then switch it back to Auto when I’m done. The My Menu makes this a quick change.

Back