Nikons funny Z8 joke

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Hullinger

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just watched the Z8 video. How exciting. They are bringing the Z7III to market but rebranding it the Z8! BH is hyping the Z8 as the "top of the Nikon line". Absolutely disappointing and totally pathetic but totally unshocking.

The only other sign that speaks more clearly about this obvious step backwards is Nikons financial reports. This camera and Nikons earning reports both send one message loud and clear. The handwriting just got spray painted a subway wall. We are only a few years away from Nikons only profitable products being medical and specialty science optics.
SAMSUNG, SONY and Apple CFOs ae laughing their butts off today watching as the Niktanic Corporation speeds up to flank speed as it approach's it's last iceberg.

The takeaway I got from the video review is that Nikon thinks that taking the Z9 concept and making it inferior is the wave of the future in their business model. The Z8 sounds like the economy Corvette that Chevrolet built and renamed the Corvair once upon a time. Nobody who ever saw a Corvette was interested in a Corvair. I especially enjoyed Nikons idea to strip memory card capability and a few other "minor" sacrifices to go back to smaller, much cheaper batteries. It would seem that Nikon's cut of the 250 dollar battery market was significantly less than anticipated so the answer was to concede defeat and downgrade camera systems that required more current. Sheer brilliance.

Got to love the practice of replacing excellence with mediocrity in marketing to suit the Dollars Store camera shopping mentality in hopes that more employees won't have to be laid off or factories closed. It appears to me like the surest sign that Nikon is preparing to tap out of the fight. And that anyone who bought the Z9 bought the last superior quality, advanced camera body that the Nikon Imaging Products Business will ever produce. The announcement of the Z8 is one of the surest signs I can imagine that the resale value of Z9 bodies will remain eternally high and they may be worth more used than they were new when the Z9 is eventually discontinued and the only option is the Z7 MKIII/Z8 MKI.

In fairness the Z9 hype got Nikon back up to around 9 dollars a share and the Z8 release drama has the stock surging to double digits at over 10.50 up from the low of 6.05 cents in 2020. The price will plummet towards the all time low of a few years ago of around 6 bucks a share when Z8 sales decline after any initial sales enthusiasm. If Nikon is lucky the stock will find support at 6 bucks but if it doesn't, with no new mass market Z excitement the next forecast might call for NINOY stock to level out at 2 or 3 bucks a share. If Nikon stock collapses, it will reflect the unimaginative effort and the quality reduction required to produce the Z8.

Maybe I have screwed up expectations of past great corporations, but if what Steve is holding in his hands in the video is what Nikon views as the savior leading all Nikon users to the promised land the only words that come to mind are absolutely pathetic.

But, oh well. I already have a Z7, Z7II and a Z9 and this lame offering has nothing to interest anyone who has ever touched a Z9 or a Z7II for that matter. On the plus side, the Z8 release may be a great factor in driving down used Z6 and Z7 prices down for those who want to move into the mirrorless world from DSLR so it may be not a totally useless addition the Z series.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nikon Z 8 is very reasonably priced: stacked imaging Sensor costs twice more than the regular ones.

My only annoyance is battery compatibility: for such a powerful body with great video capabilities, why not same battery with Z 9? Do people really want carry two types of batteries? // Scratching head

Oliver

But, oh well. I already have a Z7, Z7II and a Z9 and this lame offering has nothing to interest anyone who has ever touched a Z9 or a Z7II for that matter.
Interesting opinion. I actually have a Z7, Z7ii, and Z9. I ordered a Z8 as soon as it became available to do so and am pondering the idea of selling the others and buying a second Z8.

The Nikon Z 8 is very reasonably priced: stacked imaging Sensor costs twice more than the regular ones.

My only annoyance is battery compatibility: for such a powerful body with great video capabilities, why not same battery with Z 9? Do people really want carry two types of batteries? // Scratching head

Oliver
How on earth would they fit an EN-EL18 into that type of body? Neither Canon nor Nikon have ever managed to get their gripped body flagship battery into their non-gripped models (other than via an external grip).
If you are instead referring to fitting an EN-EL18 into the battery grip....well that battery grip is a total joke, doesn't even match the side of the camera and makes the camera way bigger than a Z9. Two EN-EL15 should run similar to a single EN-EL18 anyways so it really doesn't matter. But I don't know why anyone would bother with the Z8 grip. If you want a grip on your Z8 then buy a Z9.

Just watched the Z8 video. How exciting. They are bringing the Z7III to market but rebranding it the Z8! BH is hyping the Z8 as the "top of the Nikon line". Absolutely disappointing and totally pathetic but totally unshocking.

The only other sign that speaks more clearly about this obvious step backwards is Nikons financial reports. This camera and Nikons earning reports both send one message loud and clear. The handwriting just got spray painted a subway wall. We are only a few years away from Nikons only profitable products being medical and specialty science optics.

SAMSUNG, SONY and Apple CFOs ae laughing their butts off today watching as the Niktanic Corporation speeds up to flank speed as it approach's it's last iceberg.

The takeaway I got from the video review is that Nikon thinks that taking the Z9 concept and making it inferior is the wave of the future in their business model. The Z8 sounds like the economy Corvette that Chevrolet built and renamed the Corvair once upon a time. Nobody who ever saw a Corvette was interested in a Corvair. I especially enjoyed Nikons idea to strip memory card capability and a few other "minor" sacrifices to go back to smaller, much cheaper batteries. It would seem that Nikon's cut of the 250 dollar battery market was significantly less than anticipated so the answer was to concede defeat and downgrade camera systems that required more current. Sheer brilliance.

Got to love the practice of replacing excellence with mediocrity in marketing to suit the Dollars Store camera shopping mentality in hopes that more employees won't have to be laid off or factories closed. It appears to me like the surest sign that Nikon is preparing to tap out of the fight. And that anyone who bought the Z9 bought the last superior quality, advanced camera body that the Nikon Imaging Products Business will ever produce. The announcement of the Z8 is one of the surest signs I can imagine that the resale value of Z9 bodies will remain eternally high and they may be worth more used than they were new when the Z9 is eventually discontinued and the only option is the Z7 MKIII/Z8 MKI.

In fairness the Z9 hype got Nikon back up to around 9 dollars a share and the Z8 release drama has the stock surging to double digits at over 10.50 up from the low of 6.05 cents in 2020. The price will plummet towards the all time low of a few years ago of around 6 bucks a share when Z8 sales decline after any initial sales enthusiasm. If Nikon is lucky the stock will find support at 6 bucks but if it doesn't, with no new mass market Z excitement the next forecast might call for NINOY stock to level out at 2 or 3 bucks a share. If Nikon stock collapses, it will reflect the unimaginative effort and the quality reduction required to produce the Z8.

Maybe I have screwed up expectations of past great corporations, but if what Steve is holding in his hands in the video is what Nikon views as the savior leading all Nikon users to the promised land the only words that come to mind are absolutely pathetic.

But, oh well. I already have a Z7, Z7II and a Z9 and this lame offering has nothing to interest anyone who has ever touched a Z9 or a Z7II for that matter. On the plus side, the Z8 release may be a great factor in driving down used Z6 and Z7 prices down for those who want to move into the mirrorless world from DSLR so it may be not a totally useless addition the Z series.
If everyone thought like you did, I would get my Z8 a lot sooner. (I rented a Z9, loved it, still decided to wait for a Z8)

Interested to know what was your expectation of the camera that is not disappointing and pathetic.

Ppl ask for a smaller lighter z9, Nikon answered, gave good pricing with almost all features intact. Even those features that were removed were mostly non critical to most users. They have given existing Nikon z9 owner a lighter 2nd body option, while letting ppl with a tighter budget enjoy the performance of a top end camera.

Probably to some the camera features are old news as the z9 hype has gone for more than a year, but I know many whom are just waiting for such a camera and happy to the fact that it’s performance is as good as it gets in Nikon world.

IMHO, Nikon Z8 meets 95% expectations of most people, judging the by the straw polls; this will be the dream camera body of those who are still holding out. With the chip crunch behind us, most folks who ordered today will get the camera on May 25 ~ May 26 (with the exception of BH & Adorama).

Oliver

IMHO, Nikon Z8 meets 95% expectations of most people, judging the by the straw polls; this will be the dream camera body of those who are still holding out. With the chip crunch behind us, most folks who ordered today will get the camera on May 25 ~ May 26 (with the exception of BH & Adorama).

Oliver
Also to highlight that now you are less likely to wait long for your new z8 to arrive.

Did you feel the same way when Nikon released the D700 shortly after the D3? That seemed to go quite well. Cheer up! :)

I see this quite a bit different.
Getting a genuine stacked sensor €2700,- below the price of the Sony A1 in a body that has much better size for use with long lenses than the A1 or R5 or Z7II, without having to resort to a battery grip seems pretty compelling to me, especially with lenses like th Z400mm f4.5 or Z800mm f6.3.

My only gripe would be: why did Nikon not release this body 2 yrs ago instead of the Z9? I know.... first getting all the sales out of the Z9 blah blah etc..etc.. but not very elegant i.m.o. to first force all aspiring Z system users that want to shoot action to the bulky Z9, even if the don't want a 1.35 kg body, and when sales have dried up, only then release a body that the majority would have greatly preferred if they had had the choice....
It now seems there was no inherent reason for the Z9 size and weight when it comes to performance at all, other than bigger battery life. I would múch rather flip in a new battery every now and then, than suffer the surplus weight and size continuously.

Z8 sales may prove me right, meaning that quite a few Z9 owners will now switch to or add the Z8 for no other reason than size and weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back