Nikons funny Z8 joke

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree a tough choice if you have a Z7 and a Z9.

After considering overnight I have decided to trade the Z7 toward the Z8.

Some reports suggest the Z7 battery has 40% of the capacity of the Z9 - if accurate carrying a spare (which I have) should give 80% compared to the Z9.

A paid £3399 for the Z7 at launch. I consider I will get significantly more camera for the the Z8 £3999.

Grays of Westminster have implied the Z7III could be the eventual Nikon 61 MP option.

Seriously though, Nikon had to tread a fine line between bringing something new to market and not hurting sales of their flagship.
I reckon they have done a pretty good job. The poor or weaker mans Z9.
The inescapable fact is, no matter what they released, someone was always going to be unhappy.
"The poor or weaker man's Z9." It's like they knew me.

I don’t see a mode dial either. If it’s the dial on the left, it looks remarkably like the one on the Z9 only smaller......
There is no mode dial. That’s basically the same button pad Nikon has had on its upper level bodies for many years, with some changes to the functionality to address the buttons removed from the “bottom” of the body.

I see this quite a bit different.
Getting a genuine stacked sensor €2700,- below the price of the Sony A1 in a body that has much better size for use with long lenses than the A1 or R5 or Z7II, without having to resort to a battery grip seems pretty compelling to me, especially with lenses like th Z400mm f4.5 or Z800mm f6.3.

My only gripe would be: why did Nikon not release this body 2 yrs ago instead of the Z9? I know.... first getting all the sales out of the Z9 blah blah etc..etc.. but not very elegant i.m.o. to first force all aspiring Z system users that want to shoot action to the bulky Z9, even if the don't want a 1.35 kg body, and when sales have dried up, only then release a body that the majority would have greatly preferred if they had had the choice....
It now seems there was no inherent reason for the Z9 size and weight when it comes to performance at all, other than bigger battery life. I would múch rather flip in a new battery every now and then, than suffer the surplus weight and size continuously.

Z8 sales may prove me right, meaning that quite a few Z9 owners will now switch to or add the Z8 for no other reason than size and weight.
Because they rightfully decided that prioritizing professionals would be the best strategy to turn things around and spur growth in their mirrorless line. Companies know that flagship models get attention and sell lesser models as well. The Z9, 400 TC, and 600 TC, grabbed attention and swayed people to buy non Z9, 400 TC, and 600 TC Nikon products as well.

Now you can get a Z9 for a lot less $$$$$ having only, sort of, given up one card slot. It's still a lot less even if a battery grip is added. No doubt the Z8 will cut into Z9 sales and probably result in a price cut for the Z9. I'm not a Nikon guy, but if I was I'd be happy as can be.

Now you can get a Z9 for a lot less $$$$$ having only, sort of, given up one card slot. It's still a lot less even if a battery grip is added. No doubt the Z8 will cut into Z9 sales and probably result in a price cut for the Z9. I'm not a Nikon guy, but if I was I'd be happy as can be.
For myself the Z8 wouldn’t cut into the Z9’s sales; the Z9’s bulk and weight made it a solid NO. The Z8 is much more appealing to me.

Just watched the Z8 video. How exciting. They are bringing the Z7III to market but rebranding it the Z8! BH is hyping the Z8 as the "top of the Nikon line". Absolutely disappointing and totally pathetic but totally unshocking.

The only other sign that speaks more clearly about this obvious step backwards is Nikons financial reports. This camera and Nikons earning reports both send one message loud and clear. The handwriting just got spray painted a subway wall. We are only a few years away from Nikons only profitable products being medical and specialty science optics.
SAMSUNG, SONY and Apple CFOs ae laughing their butts off today watching as the Niktanic Corporation speeds up to flank speed as it approach's it's last iceberg.

The takeaway I got from the video review is that Nikon thinks that taking the Z9 concept and making it inferior is the wave of the future in their business model. The Z8 sounds like the economy Corvette that Chevrolet built and renamed the Corvair once upon a time. Nobody who ever saw a Corvette was interested in a Corvair. I especially enjoyed Nikons idea to strip memory card capability and a few other "minor" sacrifices to go back to smaller, much cheaper batteries. It would seem that Nikon's cut of the 250 dollar battery market was significantly less than anticipated so the answer was to concede defeat and downgrade camera systems that required more current. Sheer brilliance.

Got to love the practice of replacing excellence with mediocrity in marketing to suit the Dollars Store camera shopping mentality in hopes that more employees won't have to be laid off or factories closed. It appears to me like the surest sign that Nikon is preparing to tap out of the fight. And that anyone who bought the Z9 bought the last superior quality, advanced camera body that the Nikon Imaging Products Business will ever produce. The announcement of the Z8 is one of the surest signs I can imagine that the resale value of Z9 bodies will remain eternally high and they may be worth more used than they were new when the Z9 is eventually discontinued and the only option is the Z7 MKIII/Z8 MKI.

In fairness the Z9 hype got Nikon back up to around 9 dollars a share and the Z8 release drama has the stock surging to double digits at over 10.50 up from the low of 6.05 cents in 2020. The price will plummet towards the all time low of a few years ago of around 6 bucks a share when Z8 sales decline after any initial sales enthusiasm. If Nikon is lucky the stock will find support at 6 bucks but if it doesn't, with no new mass market Z excitement the next forecast might call for NINOY stock to level out at 2 or 3 bucks a share. If Nikon stock collapses, it will reflect the unimaginative effort and the quality reduction required to produce the Z8.

Maybe I have screwed up expectations of past great corporations, but if what Steve is holding in his hands in the video is what Nikon views as the savior leading all Nikon users to the promised land the only words that come to mind are absolutely pathetic.

But, oh well. I already have a Z7, Z7II and a Z9 and this lame offering has nothing to interest anyone who has ever touched a Z9 or a Z7II for that matter. On the plus side, the Z8 release may be a great factor in driving down used Z6 and Z7 prices down for those who want to move into the mirrorless world from DSLR so it may be not a totally useless addition the Z series.
So sell your gear, short their stock, and buy some other brand with your profits but above all. Shut up. No one here wants to read the rantings of a loser.

I don’t believe it will cut in. I look at the Z8 as a winner.
For Z9 owners, they will get the Z8 like they’re buying another lens. IMHO a very big percentage of Z9 owners will crab a Z8. That’s huge. In other words, Nikon just produced another ‘accessory’ that almost every Z9 owner will get one.

I don’t believe it will cut in. I look at the Z8 as a winner.
For Z9 owners, they will get the Z8 like they’re buying another lens. IMHO a very big percentage of Z9 owners will crab a Z8. That’s huge. In other words, Nikon just produced another ‘accessory’ that almost every Z9 owner will get one.
Probably the most accurate description of the Z8 I've read to date. And even if it does cut into Z9 sales, I'm sure Nikon would prefer that to be because of one of their other cameras as opposed to another brand's camera.

Probably the most accurate description of the Z8 I've read to date. And even if it does cut into Z9 sales, I'm sure Nikon would prefer that to be because of one of their other cameras as opposed to another brand's camera.
Even if it does cut into Z9 sales, if its truly made from all the Z9 guts, it makes no difference to Nikon..... they will be selling the same parts to two different user bases.
Kinda genius.

After waiting for a whole year for the Z 800 while the privileged NPS users moved to the head of the line I am just not interested in a repeat performance. I am simply too old to wait another year. My Z800 works just fine on the Z7ii. And, I can use it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back