no nikon Z6 orZ7 for me

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don't have a Z6 or Z7 nikon camera and to be honest I would not touch one, even being a Nikon user for more years than I can remember. Why? because it only takes one SD card the other being the more expensive XQD card. Why on earth did they not make both slots as SD card holders beats me. Also looking at the nikon videos on them it seems to me they have thrown everything at them , they more it does the more to go wrong. I would rather spend time taking a photo than spending it on setting the camera up.

No I will stick with my D810 as long as possible even if it doesn't have 4k capabilities . Now if they made a D810/ with 4k I would be the first in line to buy

yes I love the D810 even if one card is SD and the other CF. On my camcorder both ar SD cards so both can record at the same rate etc. In my opinion Nikon should have made the D810 for 2x SD cards, and added 4k , They would have been on a red hot winner, Then have a choice of video recording to both or only one, which is at the moment between CF or SD card.
Nikon never made a camcorder that I know of, making a video using a camera has its limitations ,ie overheating- limited recording time ?. Strange such a big company never went down that camcorder route.

Just one other point. Nikon are concentrating on high end cameras with a high end cost. This for people like myself being an old age pensioner puts getting one well out of what we can afford. I think they will have if not already lost a huge chunk of the consumer market

Last edited:
Everyone is moving away from sd cards on high end cameras because they can't keep up with modern camera output.

If you can afford the camera, you can spend the money on a cfe card eventually. If you can't, there's crop sensor cameras, and the zf.

Just because you can't afford something doesn't say anything about the market as a whole.

I don't have a Z6 or Z7 nikon camera and to be honest I would not touch one, even being a Nikon user for more years than I can remember. Why? because it only takes one SD card the other being the more expensive XQD card. Why on earth did they not make both slots as SD card holders beats me. Also looking at the nikon videos on them it seems to me they have thrown everything at them , they more it does the more to go wrong. I would rather spend time taking a photo than spending it on setting the camera up.

No I will stick with my D810 as long as possible even if it doesn't have 4k capabilities . Now if they made a D810/ with 4k I would be the first in line to buy
This is a really strange post for 2024. I could imagine you complaining about the Z6/Z7 in 2018 when it was released, but this simply suggests a desire to complain about something... thus, you've been read.
So you are aware, you've got it wrong on the Z6/Z7... It has only one XQD/CFE slot... It does not have any SD slots
The Z6II/Z7II has an XQD/CFE and SD slot
The Z8 has the same configuration as the Z6II/Z7II
The Z9 has dual CFE/XQD slots
The Zf has an SD and microSD slot

Personally, I'd take a Z6/Z7 over a D810 every day of the week... in fact I did. On the other hand, I wouldn't sell off a D850/D500 (Which has an XQD/CFE and SD... like the Z6II/Z7II) if af speed is your most important criteria. If AF speed is secondary or tertiary to your shooting needs, then the Z vII bodies are superior to the D850s...

In the end, we all must choose the tools that best suit our shooting needs.
cheers,
bruce

This is a really strange post for 2024. I could imagine you complaining about the Z6/Z7 in 2018 when it was released, but this simply suggests a desire to complain about something... thus, you've been read.
So you are aware, you've got it wrong on the Z6/Z7... It has only one XQD/CFE slot... It does not have any SD slots
The Z6II/Z7II has an XQD/CFE and SD slot
The Z8 has the same configuration as the Z6II/Z7II
The Z9 has dual CFE/XQD slots
The Zf has an SD and microSD slot

Personally, I'd take a Z6/Z7 over a D810 every day of the week... in fact I did. On the other hand, I wouldn't sell off a D850/D500 (Which has an XQD/CFE and SD... like the Z6II/Z7II) if af speed is your most important criteria. If AF speed is secondary or tertiary to your shooting needs, then the Z vII bodies are superior to the D850s...

In the end, we all must choose the tools that best suit our shooting needs.
cheers,
bruce
Well said.

The Nikon Z system has revolutionized capability for wildlife photography, between the enhanced AI based AF system with subject detection and the ability to shoot RAW at 20 fps.

Since i have the Z9 with bird subject detection I now have the capability of achieving sharp focused images of birds in flight that I did not have before. I also have learned to shoot bursts at 20 fps to compensate for difficult conditions resulting in more good images I could not get otherwise.

I have the z7ii. To me that camera was a stepping stone, the full potential of the Z system was not realized until the Z9.

You need CF Express Type B cards to get the full potential of the Z system. The other cards will not clear the buffer fast enough for some activities.

As a Scot the only advice I can give is Never Pay Retail. I bought my Z refurbished for almost $900 off.

The D810 is still a decent camera. GAS here is thick. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Not everyone needs 20 fps and AI to get the shot.
Mal,
Yours is a good point... Mine is not one about GAS, it is about the OP's rationale. If the photographer is fine with a D810, why complain about a Z6 or Z7. It is well known that these cameras have one XQD/CFE card slot. The topic has been rehashed ad nauseam and been resolved since 2020.
The post seems more of a desire to complain rather than... hey, "my D810 is still ticking and meets my needs." The latter would be an interesting point.

cheers,
bruce

To each his own. I switched to mirrorless 3 years ago, and now I wouldn't use a DSLR ever again as long as I can help it.

I have been perfectly happy with my Z6 since release. XQD/CFexpress are more reliable, durable, and faster than SD cards. V90 SD cards actually cost more than CFExpress which I find comical. The Z6/Z7 are compatible with CFexpress as well and prices have come down. 512gb Type B cards are down to $120-130 now which is about the price of a V60 SD card. A 512gb V90 SD card costs even more and is much slower. So I do not see this as an issue at all. My Z8 can clear its buffer in less a second. That's not possible with an SD card. So I view CFExpress as a plus.

Well the z6 is out of production. I had one for 4+ years and now have a z8. z6 has one XQD slot and can take a CFExpress… no 2nd slot.

can’t comment on uk OAPs as I am one. everybody is different and have their own priorities. OAPs probably don’t buy Ferraris either. Let’s not comment further Or I’ll have to report myself! 🙈😮

you might like to watch Kon and Becky - talking of the possibility of the Z6/7iii end of march maybe

Sorry all maybe I got the wrong information . From what has been posted in reviews many didn't make clear about the number of card slots , only about the type of cards which confused
about OAP's being able to purchase living on a state pension in the UK still holds good. The full basic State Pension you can get is £203.85 per week in the UK. just to give some idea of how far out of reach a Z9 is costing over £5000 without memory cards.

Last edited:
I still have a Z 7 ii though I have moved to the Z 8 and Z 9. Seldom use it, perhaps I should sell it but not sure

Sorry all maybe I got the wrong information . From what has been posted in reviews many didn't make clear about the number of card slots , only about the type of cards which confused
Yeah, the original Z6 and Z7 took only one card and it could either be an XQD or CFE

The Z6 II and Z7 II included a second SD card slot which is apparently because a second XQD/CFE slot would require a larger camera body and substantial body redesign over incorporating a small SD card in the second slot.

It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with the Z6/Z7 iii if and when they're released.

about OAP's being able to purchase living on a state pension in the UK still holds good. The full basic State Pension you can get is £203.85 per week in the UK. just to give some idea of how far out of reach a Z9 is costing over £5000 without memory cards.
I do not believe that Nikon has ever priced it flagship camera bodies with affordability in mind, pensioners or otherwise. The market for digital cameras is a shadow of what it was 10 years ago, and it is not unreasonable to expect lesser model releases and less at the base level. But, the bar has been raised considerably with respect to IQ, so what is available as a base model camera still offers a lot of technology and value. The Z50 uses a version of the sensor that was previously used in the D500, for example. Eventually we'll see more Z9 technology in bodies that are priced down the line, but that may take a bit of time.

--Ken

I do not believe that Nikon has ever priced it flagship camera bodies with affordability in mind, pensioners or otherwise. The market for digital cameras is a shadow of what it was 10 years ago, and it is not unreasonable to expect lesser model releases and less at the base level. But, the bar has been raised considerably with respect to IQ, so what is available as a base model camera still offers a lot of technology and value. The Z50 uses a version of the sensor that was previously used in the D500, for example. Eventually we'll see more Z9 technology in bodies that are priced down the line, but that may take a bit of time.

--Ken
For sure. Technology always trickles down (or lower end tech emerges) in "affordable" products.

Isn't a D810 with 4k capabilities called a D850? :p

At US used sellers, the D810 and the Z6 seem to be around the same price.

Having used both, I'd say a D810 is better value than the Z6 as far as photography is concerned.

We all shoot with the gear we have selected and this for our need, desire and budget. If the D810 tick all the boxes then the D810 it is.
If you shoot the 100m sprint and like to capture Noah Lyles will the Z9 allow you to do that from start to finish. We all desire something that is out of reach, a holiday destination, a shiny car or a whole collection of lenses.
Keep on shooting Realspeed (y)(y)(y).

Realspeed, I get the frustration with new technology being less than hoped for at a price higher than is affordable. I could never afford a D 4,5, or 6. Eventually Nikon made the camera I wanted at a price I could afford, the D500. The mirrorless you desire will probably be on the market one of these days. In the mean time, the D810 is a great camera. Have fun with it and forget about what anybody else is shooting. :)

I loved the heck out of my Z7 (being among the first to acquire one), until Nikon offered me a trade-up to a Z8. :)

I owned a (used) D810 while I waited for my D850 upgrade from a D750. Nice camera.

I'm a wildlife shooter and I move to a Z6 II for more fps, better autofocus and quiet shooting over my D500. My Z9 is off the charts in fps, autofocus and quiet. I use to scare birds with my D500 at 10 fps. Haven't scared a bird in years with Z cameras.

Back