no nikon Z6 orZ7 for me

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The site rules prevent me from mentioning the make of my 4k camcorder which I now use mainly. however it does a lot of what a 4k Nikon does all in one packet. That includes being able to extract a still from a video also a bigger choice if one considers the length of a home made video. for example

cccccccccccccc.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

which was extracted from a video I made in Norway with my camcorder.. I don't have to worry about fps or changing lenses to go up to 600mm equivilant as the camcorder does it all. So I will stick for as long as possible to my D810 which does a decent job for video work

Last edited:
As Ricci has said (most recently in comments about the Z8 which has two slots but one is SD), if one wants a 'small' camera (which almost certainly also equates to a less costly camera) one has to accept at least one SD slot AND the smaller battery. I still have (and shoot) my D6 but the technology advances of mirrorless (I shoot the Z9 as well) are, as others have said above in different ways, simply make the photography game more enjoyable for me. And I have never used but a mere fraction of the capabilities of a digital camera, whether the D6 (or the D3, D200 and D70 before it) or most certainly now the mega computer known as the Z9. That said, if you're loving your DLSR then enjoy and continue to tell marketing departments to p*ss off re the new toys :) Cheers! Happy New Year.

The Z5 has dual SD card slots and recently new Z5s went down to under £1000. How much did you pay for your D810?
I took ops complaint at that point to not make any sense, because new gear is always going to cost money, and if they don't want to or can't afford it, then that's not a problem any of us can fix. Plenty of hobbyists can, and I'm one of them. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze here.

I don't have a Z6 or Z7 nikon camera and to be honest I would not touch one, even being a Nikon user for more years than I can remember. Why? because it only takes one SD card the other being the more expensive XQD card. Why on earth did they not make both slots as SD card holders beats me. Also looking at the nikon videos on them it seems to me they have thrown everything at them , they more it does the more to go wrong. I would rather spend time taking a photo than spending it on setting the camera up.

No I will stick with my D810 as long as possible even if it doesn't have 4k capabilities . Now if they made a D810/ with 4k I would be the first in line to buy
With all due respect, complaining about the industry’s shift to faster, more reliable, and greater capacity cards is akin to someone who gripes about the demise of floppy disks in personal computers. I may be a geezer, but personally I wouldn’t ever want to go back.

To each his own. I switched to mirrorless 3 years ago, and now I wouldn't use a DSLR ever again as long as I can help it.
Hey Rassie, would love to hear your reasons for never wanting to go back to using DSLRs. As a hopeless old fogey still stuck in the past, I haven’t yet made the transition myself.

Hey Rassie, would love to hear your reasons for never wanting to go back to using DSLRs. As a hopeless old fogey still stuck in the past, I haven’t yet made the transition myself.
I'm not Rassie (obviously) but for myself, my subjects and my way(s) of using a camera, the advantages of mirrorless are many and often game changing:

Exposure preview in real time with zebras. No more "oops, underexposed or overexposed". Without this capacity exposure feels like a shot in the dark. I don't know and don't care what metering mode the camera is using, I just look in the viewfinder and adjust as needed.
Silent shutter. No more spooking the critter with the first mirror slap, no vibration.
AF tracks over the entire image area and is accurate without the AF micro-adjustment kludge.
Subject detection, eye AF.
Reviewing photos, menu-diving and magnified image for manual focus can be in the viewfinder. No reading glasses required.
Much faster frame rate.
Stabilized sensor, works with every lens even adapted legacy lenses.

I'll use a DSLR again only under duress.

Last edited:

I'm not Rassie either, but my 2c is that I in 2018 I bought 2 cameras. My beloved Nikon D850, and to see what this mirrorless was all about, a used Fuji XT-1 that replaced my D300 + 18-200 as my light travel kit. I bought a Fuji XF 18-55 and a used XC 50-230 and I swore that was going to be it. Within a year I found I was using the Fuji more than the D850 and in that year found myself updating to an XT-2 and more lenses. Later adding 2 x XT-4s! I was adding lenses along the way too and my Fuji kit was on par with the Nikon kit - except I was using the Fujis more than the Nikon.

With the Fuji I bought some modern manual focus lenses which lead me to vintage manual focus lenses that were not vintage when I was using SLRs in the 1960s. Then I realised that I need a full frame digital camera so there was no crop factor on these lenses (missed the wide angles) and I could not stretch to a good used Z6, so I bought a Sony a7ii exclusively for use with my vintage manual focus lenses.

My D850 was now only being used in the studio. Then in a light bulb moment I realised that my refusal to even think about selling the D850 was holding me back. It was no longer doing what I wanted from a camera!! So I gave up waiting for the Z8, sold the D850 and after comparing the Z7ii v Z6ii at length decided that the Z6ii would be the one, so I bought one around 18 months ago. I don't miss my D850 at all.

So 2022 was the year I no longer owned an SLR or dSLR since 1964/5 when I bought my Pentax SV. Mirrorless cameras offer so much more and I don't know anyone who had gone back to a dSLR after buying a mirrorless camera.

Last edited:

I'm not Rassie (obviously) but for myself, my subjects and my way(s) of using a camera, the advantages of mirrorless are many and often game changing:

Exposure preview in real time with zebras. No more "oops, underexposed or overexposed". Without this capacity exposure feels like a shot in the dark. I don't know and don't care what metering mode the camera is using, I just look in the viewfinder and adjust as needed.
Silent shutter. No more spooking the critter with the first mirror slap, no vibration.
AF tracks over the entire image area and is accurate without the AF micro-adjustment kludge.
Subject detection, eye AF.
Reviewing photos, menu-diving and magnified image for manual focus can be in the viewfinder. No reading glasses required.
Much faster frame rate.
Stabilized sensor, works with every lens even adapted legacy lenses.

I'll use a DSLR again only under duress.

What Doug said. Repeating some of his points here and adding some of my own, below are my summarized points why:
1. I can see and do everything inside the EVF. No more need for my reading glasses when I'm out shooting (yes, I'm also getting on in years). I very rarely now use the back LCD on the Z8.
2. WYSIWYG. Looking at the scene through the EVF I can immediately see whether exposure is good. No more need for making a test shot and reviewing it first on the back LCD. If exposure needs adjustment I do it and confirm at the same time inside the EVF. I can even (and do) display the histogram superimposed on the view inside the EVF.
3. Silent shutter. Say no more.
4. Electronic shutter on the Z8/Z9 family. No worries about eventually wearing out the shutter anymore. This should ensure better longevity in the camera.
5. Focus accuracy. Because the mirrorless cameras have the focus sensors embedded in the main sensor they focus on the sensor, thus more accurately than the DSLR cameras which use a separate sensor for focusing. This means no more need to fine tune autofocus to get the most accurate focus from my rig. All my DSLR F-mount lenses are sharper on the Z6 and Z6II that I had before, and now on my Z8 and also my wife's Z50.
6. Focus points spread all across the viewfinder, edge to edge, instead of them being concentrated in the middle one-third of the viewfinder.
7. Brighter viewfinder. In dim conditions the light is amplified inside the viewfinder, improving visibility of fine details and composition.
8. With fast CFExpress cards, buffer in the camera is larger, allowing for longer bursts at very high frame rates. I don't know about the buffer on a D500 or D850, but I'm willing to bet at maximum frame rate of those cameras (10 fps or less), they won't sustain a burst for a longer duration than a Z8 or Z9 at double that frame rate at 20 fps.
9. Volumes have been spoken already about the subject detection and focus tracking of the mirrorless cameras, so I'm not going to elaborate here except to say it's not just for fast-moving animals or birds in flight that the superior focus ability of the mirrorless cameras are beneficial. The focus choices I have with the Z8, coupled with subject and eye detection enable me to focus accurately on a bird or animal in the foliage without the focus getting hijacked or distracted by a twig or leaf between the camera and the critter. As long as the eye is visible in the clutter, the camera will focus on that. This ability enables the camera to grab focus faster than one would be able to with a DSLR. See example below.
10. Live focus confirmation before taking the shot. One can enlarge the view in the EVF to 100% before tripping the shutter to confirm focus is accurate.

NZ8_4787-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
What Doug said. Repeating some of his points here and adding some of my own, below are my summarized points why:
1. I can see and do everything inside the EVF. No more need for my reading glasses when I'm out shooting (yes, I'm also getting on in years). I very rarely now use the back LCD on the Z8.
2. WYSIWYG. Looking at the scene through the EVF I can immediately see whether exposure is good. No more need for making a test shot and reviewing it first on the back LCD. If exposure needs adjustment I do it and confirm at the same time inside the EVF. I can even (and do) display the histogram superimposed on the view inside the EVF.
3. Silent shutter. Say no more.
4. Electronic shutter on the Z8/Z9 family. No worries about eventually wearing out the shutter anymore. This should ensure better longevity in the camera.
5. Focus accuracy. Because the mirrorless cameras have the focus sensors embedded in the main sensor they focus on the sensor, thus more accurately than the DSLR cameras which use a separate sensor for focusing. This means no more need to fine tune autofocus to get the most accurate focus from my rig. All my DSLR F-mount lenses are sharper on the Z6 and Z6II that I had before, and now on my Z8 and also my wife's Z50.
6. Focus points spread all across the viewfinder, edge to edge, instead of them being concentrated in the middle one-third of the viewfinder.
7. Brighter viewfinder. In dim conditions the light is amplified inside the viewfinder, improving visibility of fine details and composition.
8. With fast CFExpress cards, buffer in the camera is larger, allowing for longer bursts at very high frame rates. I don't know about the buffer on a D500 or D850, but I'm willing to bet at maximum frame rate of those cameras (10 fps or less), they won't sustain a burst for a longer duration than a Z8 or Z9 at double that frame rate at 20 fps.
9. Volumes have been spoken already about the subject detection and focus tracking of the mirrorless cameras, so I'm not going to elaborate here except to say it's not just for fast-moving animals or birds in flight that the superior focus ability of the mirrorless cameras are beneficial. The focus choices I have with the Z8, coupled with subject and eye detection enable me to focus accurately on a bird or animal in the foliage without the focus getting hijacked or distracted by a twig or leaf between the camera and the critter. As long as the eye is visible in the clutter, the camera will focus on that. This ability enables the camera to grab focus faster than one would be able to with a DSLR. See example below.
10. Live focus confirmation before taking the shot. One can enlarge the view in the EVF to 100% before tripping the shutter to confirm focus is accurate.
That‘s all?!! Well then, why would anyone move to mirrorless? 🥴 Many thanks for sharing your perspective- I know my days are numbered.

In the old days before AF we would have just focused on the bird and taken the picture. We already had subject detection, the photographer.
Nothing in today's cameras that prevents that, In fact, since the loss of split image focusing screens years ago, mirrorless cameras have been the best thing for manual focusing. Trying to manually focus with a DSLR screen was a bit of an exercise in futility for me as there were no aids other than Nikon's little green dot.

--Ken

Nothing in today's cameras that prevents that, In fact, since the loss of split image focusing screens years ago, mirrorless cameras have been the best thing for manual focusing. Trying to manually focus with a DSLR screen was a bit of an exercise in futility for me as there were no aids other than Nikon's little green dot.

--Ken
In Nikonland the E focussing screen, plain matte with rule-of-thirds grid, in the F or F2 was my favorite. Better than this was the microprism focussing screen of the Leicaflex SL where the image would pop into focus anywhere in the image area, not just the center.

For manual focus mirrorless is unquestionably a big step up from DSLR viewfinders.

I have both a Z6ii and Z7ii. Neither replaced my Z850 for wildlife. The D850 was eventually replaced with a Z9. I still use the two original Z camera bodies, mostly for work other than wildlife. I often carry the Z6ii and a Z 100-400mm lens as a back-up or second camera. This kit focuses well in low light, has adequate capture rate and is light enough to bring along most of the time. It works well for larger, closer or slower moving subjects. I generally leave the SD slot empty when shooting wildlife and just copy the CF Express card as soon as possible after shooting ends. I would eventually hope to add a Z8 or a second Z9 but having a mechanical shutter can sometimes be the way to go.

In the old days before AF we would have just focused on the bird and taken the picture. We already had subject detection, the photographer.
What about the older days when the shutter was manual. Sorry couldn't resist :) -- a friend has and used (for wildlife) a large format antique camera that she had to pull the 'lens cap' off, count out the number of seconds of exposure and then pop the cap back on. Oh, also had to insert a single frame of film at a time and do much of the photography while under a dark hood. Great photos resulted but nothing remotely (because not possible) close to the type of photos technology has made possible. And yes the photographer still counts, in a fundamental way! Cheers.

yes I love the D810 even if one card is SD and the other CF. On my camcorder both ar SD cards so both can record at the same rate etc. In my opinion Nikon should have made the D810 for 2x SD cards, and added 4k , They would have been on a red hot winner, Then have a choice of video recording to both or only one, which is at the moment between CF or SD card.
Nikon never made a camcorder that I know of, making a video using a camera has its limitations ,ie overheating- limited recording time ?. Strange such a big company never went down that camcorder route.

Just one other point. Nikon are concentrating on high end cameras with a high end cost. This for people like myself being an old age pensioner puts getting one well out of what we can afford. I think they will have if not already lost a huge chunk of the consumer market
I'm thinking the "high end camera' focus has everything to do with the fact that virtually anyone interested in taking a photo now carries a camera (in the cell phone) that far exceeds what in the past we'd have considered an entry level camera. True story -- month ago I was in a LCS here and the person in front of me was asking about prices of cameras and kept I guess not believing what he was hearing cause he kept saying 'just need something basic; not too serious' kind of things. He bought a disposable film camera....

That‘s all?!! Well then, why would anyone move to mirrorless? 🥴 Many thanks for sharing your perspective- I know my days are numbered.
Just keep in mind that all those properly apply only to a handful of cameras (Z9/Z8, A9, A1, R3/5/6).

The lower you go down the food chain, the more caveats you need to apply to that list (poorer EVFs mean WYSIWYG can be quite wrong, Eye AF becomes more Eye-Lash AF, slow readout speed make using silent shutter more of a case by case situation and so on).

--Ken

'ain't that the truth!!

As memory serves, XQD cards first appeared in Nikon's D4 (2012), after the media was launched the previous year. Reliability, more capacity and notably improved video support were some of the reasons for Nikon's change: based on standardized faster bandwidth using the PCIe and NVMe standards. CF Express was also on the horizon for high end ILCs before 2016

XQD became more mainstream in the the superb D500 in early 2016.

End of that year, buying a lightly Used D500, I was delighted to abandon the smaller SD cards for the larger format and more reliable XQD media, and then the D850 arrived late 2018..... never touched a SD card again (one exception being permanent memory in a Zfc for downloading to a computer via USB)

I still use my oldest cards even in a Z9 to load firmware etc, and in the well worn D850 as backup camera. Otherwise, as we know, CFexpress cards are mainstream, and prices / Gbyte have dropped over the past 2 years, particularly if you look out for special offers. This media is significantly more reliable than SD

It's still hard today to beat a Used Z6 or Z7 for the bang/buck, although a good deal on the Zf makes more sense if one needs affordable reliable MILC autofocus for wildlife IMHO.

A Z7 is still today the ideal, compact and lightweight landscape camera (also to setup in roles such as a remote camera trap). And a Used Z6 also remains a primary contender for challenging lowlight photography (eg events, astro, and video)

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that all those properly apply only to a handful of cameras (Z9/Z8, A9, A1, R3/5/6).

The lower you go down the food chain, the more caveats you need to apply to that list (poorer EVFs mean WYSIWYG can be quite wrong, Eye AF becomes more Eye-Lash AF, slow readout speed make using silent shutter more of a case by case situation and so on).
For now. Not too long before many of those features will be in lower-end cameras as well. Tech marches on relentlessly.

Ever since I swithced from Canon to Nikon (around 2008?) and also a briefly with a Sony addition, I have ONLY used SD cards. I used Nikon D850 for several years and for a while added a Nikon D500 and then for a brief time added Sony A74 and now have sold them all and use Nikon Z8 (plus a Fuji XF10 for snapshots). In every single body I have only used SD which is still the case. I don't do video, I don't shoot more than five or six frames per second (and that rarely), so they suit my needs. The price of newer card types is a factor in spite of people here dismissing it. I also have a single slot SD card reader for my desktop computer and since it just went in for service I got an inexpensive laptop (typing on it now) that has a built-in SD card slot. Although I don't necessarily agree with the all of the starting post, I do agree that for some of us maintaining inexpensive SD cards is important. However, I have never had the need to shoot dual cards, so I am fine with my cameras only having one SD slot and the other for something else.

Back