Now that I am retired I am thinking about the photo bucket list. #1 on my list is Africa.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am very imtimidated by the idea of putting so much trust in some one I have never met. I don't want to get taxied around by someone that is going to point and
say there is this and there is a that. I would like some say as to our day. Sit as long as I like and then move on.

Can anyone recommend a place that has a clean room, couple of hot meals, and jeep that is in desent repair, and actually knows the local wildlife.
I am poor as a church mouse, and will be pulling financing from out of a mattress.

Subscribe to Steve's email list and watch for the next time he goes to Botswana Africa. He will teach you more than you can imagine and the lodging and places are truly mazing....I come home with over 20,000 image to cull through (ouch). I had an amazing time and cannot recommend him more highly. You would not be disappointed.

I am very imtimidated by the idea of putting so much trust in some one I have never met. I don't want to get taxied around by someone that is going to point and
say there is this and there is a that. I would like some say as to our day. Sit as long as I like and then move on.

Can anyone recommend a place that has a clean room, couple of hot meals, and jeep that is in desent repair, and actually knows the local wildlife.
I am poor as a church mouse, and will be pulling financing from out of a mattress.
Considering your requirements it's always going to be a compromise.
I grew up in South Africa so I'm somewhat knowledgeable on South African National parks.
1) You could book a chalet in one of the national parks there. Because the national parks are run by the government, prices are pretty reasonable. I'm familiar with the Kruger National Park and Pilanesberg National Park.

Each of these parks has different camps where one can rent accommodation. Many chalets or rondavels also have kitchenettes in them with stoves, microwaves and refrigerators. Many camps have stores on site where one can buy food if you want to prepare your own in your own kitchen. If you don't want to make your own, most of the larger camps also have quite reasonably priced restaurants with good food.

These national parks are available for those who want to do their own driving, so you can fly into the country, rent a vehicle and drive to the park. Once inside you are free to go on game drives as often as you want, except night driving is not allowed. You are free to come and go as you please all day long, but you are not allowed to leave the road while driving in the parks. If I'm on a tight budget I would seriously consider doing it that way ( I used to do it often while I still lived there). These parks also offer safari drives in official vehicles with a driver and a guide, and they would be in a position to leave the road and go places you cannot with your own vehicle. These excursions can be booked in the park at an extra fee, and there will be at least one or two such guided drives every day.

2) As for the private game parks, they offer a fully catered experience and guided safaris. I spent a week in Thornybush in 2016, and again in 2019. Absolutely amazing experiences. You will find links to those private reserves here https://www.krugerpark.co.za/. I found the guides in Thornybush to be flexible. Often times they asked us what we would like to see on a particular drive and they were willing to take us to where we were most likely to see the animals we were interested in - within reason. Otherwise they would also make suggestions, or alternatively just pick a route and go to see what's available along the way.

In both national parks and private parks the guides in their individual jeeps are always in contact with one another and as soon as there is a remarkable sighting they announce it on the radio, so other guides can also take their guests to that spot. That helps to improve one's chances of sighting the remarkable animals or situations.

So whether you go all out in a private park where everything is provided, or whether you go to a national park where you have more autonomy, in both cases you are likely to have a great experience.

though you are a poor church mouse, it will pay to have a local guide. They know the wildlife, both to id them, predict behaviour, get you in the right position, as well as network with other guides. While a guide (driver) may be in our employ, we are in their control. Treat them well, they can make magic happen for you. Treat them poorly and they will do exact what you ask (which is often not what you want).

A couple of thoughts - consider if you want east Africa (Kenya, Tanzania) vs Southern Africa. Neither is cheap but East Africa tends to be less pricy. Go with a photo safari, not a eco tour. In a well run photo safari, you will have your own row so you can shoot out either side of the vehicle vs having your own window and lots of bouncing in the vehicle.

PM if you want - I can give you a few reco on tour leaders.

BTW - I have had between 25 and 30 photo safaris to Africa. Lost count.

Last edited:
I have been to Africa 4 times. Each time with on a different photo tour. South Africa (Sabi Sabi) private game reserve), Kenya, Tanzania, and Botswana twice. There are several excellent photographers that offer dedicated photo safaris. They will get up out early in the morning and again in the late afternoon/evening when the animals are active. They take care of hiring drivers and excellent guides who are superb at knowing where animals might be and spotting birds and animals on the drives. Well worth the money. The inexperienced could drive around all day and see very little.. Generally, lodging, meals, drivers, guides, vehicles are all covered in the workshop price. All you need to do is show up and you will have a wonderful experience! As Rich mentioned, make sure that they will put only ONE person per row of seats. That way you can shoot out of both sides of the vehicle.

We just returned from Masai mara after a 10 day trip (total cost 3200 $ per person excluding flight tickets) . We had a great trip with our guide & driver Joseph doing a great job.He was very experience & knew the mara in & out & exactly knew where to place the safari vehicle for best photos.
His camp run by him was pretty modest & costed 1100/ dollars for 2 people (self & wife) 5 days for a tent with food & wildlife safari in his jeep. Park fees was around 70$ per person/day
We also travelled to Amboseli, Nakuru & Naivasha where one can do on line booking
You can PM me for more details

I would listen to Rassie - as a SA fellsa he is bound to have a better view than us outsiders.
BUT while I understand the fiscal constraints - If you start by trying self driving in the Kruger you will find it not easy.
However the surrounding private reserves - my favourite is Mala Mala, but Sabi Sands in next door and there are others. ALL have accomodation, vehicles and guides.
The best place to start in my view is Kenya (the Mara in Feb and Sept) and Tanzania (March - The Crater and Nodutu) in our spring and autumn AND to do so with guides in a camp and vehicles. The Delta and Chobe River are best in June-July. Again using a firm like Pangolin and staying at the lodges.
PLease do not go with a minibus driver/tour.
I understand this may not be the answer you want.

I grew up in South Africa so I'm somewhat knowledgeable on South African National parks.
1) You could book a chalet in one of the national parks there. Because the national parks are run by the government, prices are pretty reasonable. I'm familiar with the Kruger National Park and Pilanesberg National Park.

Each of these parks has different camps where one can rent accommodation. Many chalets or rondavels also have kitchenettes in them with stoves, microwaves and refrigerators. Many camps have stores on site where one can buy food if you want to prepare your own in your own kitchen. If you don't want to make your own, most of the larger camps also have quite reasonably priced restaurants with good food.

These national parks are available for those who want to do their own driving, so you can fly into the country, rent a vehicle and drive to the park. Once inside you are free to go on game drives as often as you want, except night driving is not allowed. You are free to come and go as you please all day long, but you are not allowed to leave the road while driving in the parks. If I'm on a tight budget I would seriously consider doing it that way ( I used to do it often while I still lived there). These parks also offer safari drives in official vehicles with a driver and a guide, and they would be in a position to leave the road and go places you cannot with your own vehicle. These excursions can be booked in the park at an extra fee, and there will be at least one or two such guided drives every day.

2) As for the private game parks, they offer a fully catered experience and guided safaris. I spent a week in Thornybush in 2016, and again in 2019. Absolutely amazing experiences. You will find links to those private reserves here https://www.krugerpark.co.za/. I found the guides in Thornybush to be flexible. Often times they asked us what we would like to see on a particular drive and they were willing to take us to where we were most likely to see the animals we were interested in - within reason. Otherwise they would also make suggestions, or alternatively just pick a route and go to see what's available along the way.

In both national parks and private parks the guides in their individual jeeps are always in contact with one another and as soon as there is a remarkable sighting they announce it on the radio, so other guides can also take their guests to that spot. That helps to improve one's chances of sighting the remarkable animals or situations.

So whether you go all out in a private park where everything is provided, or whether you go to a national park where you have more autonomy, in both cases you are likely to have a great experience.
Wow, great information, Rassie!

A good place to get information on African and other safaris is: https://www.safaritalk.net/

There are lots of trip reports and knowledgeable people who are happy to ask question.

In my view self driving in the Kruger is the cheapest South African option and gives you the independence to go where you want and stop as long as you want - but you are on your own in terms of spotting wildlife and can’t go off-road. Sightings can get popular and competitive.
Private safari camps/lodges are more expensive but some reserves that are now part of the greater Kruger ecosystem (I know the Timbavati quite well) aren’t too expensive (relatively). If you pick your lodge well they will only put two pax in a row in the jeep and as a single traveller you often have a row to yourself. SA lodges tend to go out morning and evening only (but for 3+ hours at a time), In Kenya they will often stay out from dawn to dark.
Guided safaris with well known photographers are usually expensive. It in my experience many of the guides employed by lodges are excellent photographers and will put you in the right place and in the right light if you ask. A cheaper lodge with good guides and a x
couple of days with private use of a vehicle may be your sweet spot.

Subscribe to Steve's email list and watch for the next time he goes to Botswana Africa. He will teach you more than you can imagine and the lodging and places are truly mazing....I come home with over 20,000 image to cull through (ouch). I had an amazing time and cannot recommend him more highly. You would not be disappointed.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will do that.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. There is a lot of good info here. Thank you for your help. It will take me some time to search through it all. So I may follow up with you at some point soon if that is ok?

though you are a poor church mouse, it will pay to have a local guide. They know the wildlife, both to id them, predict behaviour, get you in the right position, as well as network with other guides. While a guide (driver) may be in our employ, we are in their control. Treat them well, they can make magic happen for you. Treat them poorly and they will do exact what you ask (which is often not what you want).

A couple of thoughts - consider if you want east Africa (Kenya, Tanzania) vs Southern Africa. Neither is cheap but East Africa tends to be less pricy. Go with a photo safari, not a eco tour. In a well run photo safari, you will have your own row so you can shoot out either side of the vehicle vs having your own window and lots of bouncing in the vehicle.

PM if you want - I can give you a few reco on tour leaders.

BTW - I have had between 25 and 30 photo safaris to Africa. Lost count.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I would not want to wing it on my own. Guide is at the top of my list. I was a guide myself for about 6 years. Drift boats, flyfishing. The guide network is how we all survived. East Africa, South Africa, this is one of my problems, I don't know enough about either to pick. I hate to let money force me to pick something like that. I am willing to drink water and eat peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches just to "see" a herd of Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo, Impala.

I have been to Africa 4 times. Each time with on a different photo tour. South Africa (Sabi Sabi) private game reserve), Kenya, Tanzania, and Botswana twice. There are several excellent photographers that offer dedicated photo safaris. They will get up out early in the morning and again in the late afternoon/evening when the animals are active. They take care of hiring drivers and excellent guides who are superb at knowing where animals might be and spotting birds and animals on the drives. Well worth the money. The inexperienced could drive around all day and see very little.. Generally, lodging, meals, drivers, guides, vehicles are all covered in the workshop price. All you need to do is show up and you will have a wonderful experience! As Rich mentioned, make sure that they will put only ONE person per row of seats. That way you can shoot out of both sides of the vehicle.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Photo Safaris would be my first pick. Going with another photographer, he would be able to answer one of my concerns. Staying downwind and still getting the creative light. Down wind is also the predator side. I am sure there are some issues there.

We just returned from Masai mara after a 10 day trip (total cost 3200 $ per person excluding flight tickets) . We had a great trip with our guide & driver Joseph doing a great job.He was very experience & knew the mara in & out & exactly knew where to place the safari vehicle for best photos.
His camp run by him was pretty modest & costed 1100/ dollars for 2 people (self & wife) 5 days for a tent with food & wildlife safari in his jeep. Park fees was around 70$ per person/day
We also travelled to Amboseli, Nakuru & Naivasha where one can do on line booking
You can PM me for more details
Thank you for taking the time to respond. 10 days would be perfect. $3200.00! That seems to good to be true. Something like that would make this trip totally possible.
I am thinking the Airfare about doubles the cost?

I would listen to Rassie - as a SA fellsa he is bound to have a better view than us outsiders.
BUT while I understand the fiscal constraints - If you start by trying self driving in the Kruger you will find it not easy.
However the surrounding private reserves - my favourite is Mala Mala, but Sabi Sands in next door and there are others. ALL have accomodation, vehicles and guides.
The best place to start in my view is Kenya (the Mara in Feb and Sept) and Tanzania (March - The Crater and Nodutu) in our spring and autumn AND to do so with guides in a camp and vehicles. The Delta and Chobe River are best in June-July. Again using a firm like Pangolin and staying at the lodges.
PLease do not go with a minibus driver/tour.
I understand this may not be the answer you want.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. These are all the answers I want. I'll shake off the cold bucket of water they come in. If I don't start diving in and pushing this along, I will never get there. thank you.

A good place to get information on African and other safaris is: https://www.safaritalk.net/

There are lots of trip reports and knowledgeable people who are happy to ask question.

In my view self driving in the Kruger is the cheapest South African option and gives you the independence to go where you want and stop as long as you want - but you are on your own in terms of spotting wildlife and can’t go off-road. Sightings can get popular and competitive.
Private safari camps/lodges are more expensive but some reserves that are now part of the greater Kruger ecosystem (I know the Timbavati quite well) aren’t too expensive (relatively). If you pick your lodge well they will only put two pax in a row in the jeep and as a single traveller you often have a row to yourself. SA lodges tend to go out morning and evening only (but for 3+ hours at a time), In Kenya they will often stay out from dawn to dark.
Guided safaris with well known photographers are usually expensive. It in my experience many of the guides employed by lodges are excellent photographers and will put you in the right place and in the right light if you ask. A cheaper lodge with good guides and a x
couple of days with private use of a vehicle may be your sweet spot.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Thanks for the links and the info. It looks like I have a hell of a lot of homework to do.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I would not want to wing it on my own. Guide is at the top of my list. I was a guide myself for about 6 years. Drift boats, flyfishing. The guide network is how we all survived. East Africa, South Africa, this is one of my problems, I don't know enough about either to pick. I hate to let money force me to pick something like that. I am willing to drink water and eat peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches just to "see" a herd of Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo, Impala.
Agree. after 25-30 photo safaris I would say it takes a lot to put together a good safari. First question - East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania) or Southern Africa. East Africa is more traditional "Hemingway" safari, probably less expensive for a photo tour, Serengeti is truly an endless plane. The wildebeest herd numbers 1.5 million strong. Southern Africa has more private reserves ($$$$) but more intimate and less crowded.

BTW sometimes you can save if you are flexible and able to book/travel with less a month notice (last minute cancellation). This would require you get your shots now.

Gregory Sweeney. https://photographafrica.com. I went on a trip with him on my first trip to South Africa about 10 years ago. Trips are fairly priced. You sleep for part of the trip in a treehouse at his small resort, he actually lives in Florida and does a lot of underwater trips there. In a recent email he talked about something they have recently added, a blind on a private reserve water hole and that sounded really interesting. I think they also use open jeeps, at least they did when I went. These are better to shoot from. Check out his website. Going it alone is not the best idea. I'm writing this from Kenya where I'm doing a 19-day trip and visiting several national parks so on the highway a lot, with a guide driver, and the highway is pretty wild and very entertaining. Just left Amboselli NP and there is a problem in the park that researchers are now investigating. The zebra are simply dropping in their tracks, there is plenty of water and still some food remaining, although it needs to rain right away or the food source will be a bigger problem, so it can't simply be blamed on "the drought." I believe they think it is a virus or bacterial problem. Zebra carcasses are everywhere, also a couple of elephants, younger ones, and a couple of hippo carcasses: the carnivores in the park are fat and well-fed right now.

Gregory Sweeney. https://photographafrica.com. I went on a trip with him on my first trip to South Africa about 10 years ago. Trips are fairly priced. You sleep for part of the trip in a treehouse at his small resort, he actually lives in Florida and does a lot of underwater trips there. In a recent email he talked about something they have recently added, a blind on a private reserve water hole and that sounded really interesting. I think they also use open jeeps, at least they did when I went. These are better to shoot from. Check out his website. Going it alone is not the best idea. I'm writing this from Kenya where I'm doing a 19-day trip and visiting several national parks so on the highway a lot, with a guide driver, and the highway is pretty wild and very entertaining. Just left Amboselli NP and there is a problem in the park that researchers are now investigating. The zebra are simply dropping in their tracks, there is plenty of water and still some food remaining, although it needs to rain right away or the food source will be a bigger problem, so it can't simply be blamed on "the drought." I believe they think it is a virus or bacterial problem. Zebra carcasses are everywhere, also a couple of elephants, younger ones, and a couple of hippo carcasses: the carnivores in the park are fat and well-fed right now.
YIKES! Keep us updated if you get more information. Thanks!

And have a GREAT trip! We really enjoyed our trip to Kenya in 2017. Probably our favorite, most productive trip.

Judging from local popular magazine and promotion articles there are more and more underground hides being offered. There are more since these articles. Madikwe, Mashatu and Zimanga started this trend, at least in S Africa, SE Botswana. Images taken inside them have become mainstream. But it's one of the productive ways to get close from below, and also see less commonly encountered animals.

The OP has some useful advice, and a self drive is a good plan. Especially in KNP, where one can fly into Phalaborwa and pick up the hire car at the airport. The park entrance is close, and so avoids a longer drive on main roads, an experience some visitors may find rather different (!)

It's best to commit to a guided tour by trustworthy referrals from clients with recent experience. I don't use these, as do my own solo ops; so am in no position to refer operators, unless it is for Zimbabwe.
Check out Camp Mana for one, Steve Bolnick for walking safaris from his camp

I am on my way home from 8 days in Masai Mara with Stu Porter and Mamai James. I’m going to keep it short. 20,000+ shots of the big 5 plus. Migration river crossings. Sunrise/sunset silhouette shots daily. Camp Entim is five star on all accounts - tent accommodations, phenomenal food for all meals, amazing service. Look up Wild 4 Photo Safaris or Stu Porter Photography on line. Best photo trip of my life. Bud

Judging from local popular magazine and promotion articles there are more and more underground hides being offered. There are more since these articles. Madikwe, Mashatu and Zimanga started this trend, at least in S Africa, SE Botswana. Images taken inside them have become mainstream. But it's one of the productive ways to get close from below, and also see less commonly encountered animals.

The OP has some useful advice, and a self drive is a good plan. Especially in KNP, where one can fly into Phalaborwa and pick up the hire car at the airport. The park entrance is close, and so avoids a longer drive on main roads, an experience some visitors may find rather different (!)

It's best to commit to a guided tour by trustworthy referrals from clients with recent experience. I don't use these, as do my own solo ops; so am in no position to refer operators, unless it is for Zimbabwe.
Check out Camp Mana for one, Steve Bolnick for walking safaris from his camp

I have not been to an underground hide at a watering hole, but that is definitely something I would like to try. A slight variation on this theme are the areas outside but protected from the animals at the watering holes at Etosha National Park. A friend just returned from there and said she was able to sit outside near the watering hole as the sun set and animals came to the watering hole. You are protected from the animals by a fence but you sit above the fence and have an unobstructed view of the animals. She said hearing a lion roar in the dark was just amazing (parts of the watering hole are lighted).

I can only strongly recommend a local guide as I remember a safari about 40 years ago and about twenty of us on a bus in an area with only low level vegetation could not see two giraffes about 50 yards away until the guide pointed them out. So if you have no experience of safaris then without a guide you will miss so much.

Back