Now that I am retired I am thinking about the photo bucket list. #1 on my list is Africa.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Trailer of our Kenya trip including Nairobi Amboseli , Masai Mara , Nakuru & Naivasha done from 30 Jul to 10 Aug 2022
I plan to conduct a free online seminar about our trip after a month or so( massive amount of videos & photos still to be processed using Sony A1 & Z9 by self & wife)
If any one is interested to attend they may get in touch . Contact details are given in the cover page of the video link given above
(just to clarify we don’t conduct tours)
The trailer video itself is an ongoing work & May be replaced with a new one in few days

These comparisons underscore the vastness of Africa. It's always stimulating to show this corrected Mercator projection of the Earth's continents (and countries), and surprising how many university students in local institutions are unaware of the true immensity of their own continent: even students of the natural sciences.

For resident, let alone visiting, naturalists the opportunities across Africa are almost limitless: so much diversity in the geology, topography, climatic gradients, and thus the biomes.

Last edited:
I have not been to an underground hide at a watering hole, but that is definitely something I would like to try. A slight variation on this theme are the areas outside but protected from the animals at the watering holes at Etosha National Park. A friend just returned from there and said she was able to sit outside near the watering hole as the sun set and animals came to the watering hole. You are protected from the animals by a fence but you sit above the fence and have an unobstructed view of the animals. She said hearing a lion roar in the dark was just amazing (parts of the watering hole are lighted).
Here is link to the webcam livestream of Okaukuejo waterhole at the rest camp in Etosha, Namibia Etosha is also a great self drive option, no 4x4 needed in dry season. I prefer staying at NWR camps inside, as allows game viewing from camp waterhole after sunset.
The link can reset every few days, so here is also a link for the channel

Here is another site with lots of info and some nice park specific books for a photographer with suggested drives etc. I have the Etosha and Kglaligadi books and can highly recommend it.

There are also various lodges located close to the park entrances, but entry is strictly from sunrise to sunset.

Namibia also offers desert landscape wonders like Sossusvlei and dead vlei, but be careful of trying to do to much in a short period as the distances are vast.

Here is link to the webcam livestream of Okaukuejo waterhole at the rest camp in Etosha, Namibia Etosha is also a great self drive option, no 4x4 needed in dry season. I prefer staying at NWR camps inside, as allows game viewing from camp waterhole after sunset.

Here is another site with lots of info and some nice park specific books for a photographer with suggested drives etc. I have the Etosha and Kglaligadi books and can highly recommend it.

Namibia also offers desert landscape wonders like Sossusvlei and dead vlei, but be careful of trying to do to much in a short period as the distances are vast.

If you go to Etosha you MUST carry a full WET sensor cleaning kit with you with multiple swabs, lots of fluid as well as air blower and lots of lens cleaning cloths. It gets really hot.

I went there with CNP Safaris in their custom built shooting vehicle (with shooting seats and buit-in camera supports) in June 2016. WOW this was cool == no joke the AC was running full time during the heat of thew day.

When we went we had to pass through the entrance gate every morning and so had to wait until well after sunrise before they would allow us in. I was most disappointed with that part of the trip. If you can stay inside the park and not waste time early in the morning sunrise action would be interesting.

Quite early on the wind blew while I was changing lenses on my D500 and I was in hell for the next few weeks. Luckily I had 2 other bodies. I was able to beg a cleaning set from Gutts on the Chobe River the following week, and have learnt my lessons now.

Etosha is "special" and the waterholes are a big draw during the dry season - but we had a couple of days with little activity and many more where it was full on.

20160621-09-16-10_B015183 with 2000 px SRGB BLWM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The link can reset every few days, so here is also a link for the channel

There are also various lodges located close to the park entrances, but entry is strictly from sunrise to sunset.

Yep tons of info out there, just not so easy to sort through. My friend went to a lodge that was "within the park entrance", so could go out after sunset. In addition to a good guide when in Africa, one also needs a good travel agent who has been to the different lodges and thus knows these issues. We have used "Eyes on Africa" but sure there are many others and we went a number of years ago. And our trips were more high end ones.

go to kruger with your own small vehicle. cheaper and you get to be lower for better eye contact. stay on the paved roads and enjoy. do everything at your own pace. you will see everything you want to see and much more. in kruger you don't need guides - that simple.

Back