NYA-EVO 50C backpack

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Drew

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have a Mindshift Gear Backlight 26L backpack that I find to be somewhat uncomfortable to use. After a few miles with less than 15 pounds in it, I start to find it tiring to use. It is a camera backpack that seems to be designed for some hiking, not extended use. I have come across the newer manufacturer NYA-EVO that makes a series of backpacks that are comfortable to use and design for photographers. I am looking into either the 36C or 50C models. Does anyone use a backpack from NYA-EVO and what are your impressions?

I have 60c and really like it with the largest insert. They play in the same league as shimoda and fstop. My wife has a shimoda and both have their tiny differences but otherwise I would be happy with both. For me - with a top entry(which I use only at home to charge batteries and read cards) nya Evo is more convenient. And their separate rolltop is better with a very long lens. For a shorter tele a shared main compartment with a rolltop might be better. But then again it is not watertight like nya Evo is, which can be handy at times. Overall I am really happy with that backpack.

I have tried several different packs and all of them irritate my back when hiking longer distances. Maybe I am getting old. Actually I know i am getting old but I have always considered myself immortal. I tell my doctor that and she laughs at me. I told my last doctor that and he laughed too, but now he is retired and I am still going strong. So as far as he knows I may well be immortal.

Anyway I tried the Shimoda, the Mindshift 36l and the Gura Gear 30l. All of these packs, when heavily loaded after a couple miles of hiking cause mid back pain.

I know the solution. I need a really good pack designed to transfer all weight away from the shoulders and onto the hips. I am having a pack custom built by McHale Packs and I should have the final pack in about a month. I plan to post pictures.

The key to this design is a suspension system that keeps all weight off my shoulders but also pushes my shoulders back and into good posture. I have a prototype and I can walk all day with that pack without back pain.

I use a fStop Tilopa (new version) or Vanguard 51D for hiking. This depends on the load.
I've learned via the expensive route that backpacks for outdoor photography group into several classes: especially day trips versus flying with gear versus long hikes etc.

So, for example, maximizing the gear for cabin boarding requires a carefully packed bag close to the maximum permissible size, plus a waistcoat for spillovers/emergency repacking into many capacious pockets.

BCG has accumulated a fairly long discussion on these related subjects:

Last edited:
I have tried several different packs and all of them irritate my back when hiking longer distances. Maybe I am getting old. Actually I know i am getting old but I have always considered myself immortal. I tell my doctor that and she laughs at me. I told my last doctor that and he laughed too, but now he is retired and I am still going strong. So as far as he knows I may well be immortal.

Anyway I tried the Shimoda, the Mindshift 36l and the Gura Gear 30l. All of these packs, when heavily loaded after a couple miles of hiking cause mid back pain.

I know the solution. I need a really good pack designed to transfer all weight away from the shoulders and onto the hips. I am having a pack custom built by McHale Packs and I should have the final pack in about a month. I plan to post pictures.

The key to this design is a suspension system that keeps all weight off my shoulders but also pushes my shoulders back and into good posture. I have a prototype and I can walk all day with that pack without back pain.
When you say "heavily loaded" how much weight are we talking about?

Serious backpackers often go with close to 30 pounds. I don't do that, but I'll day hike with my Mindshift 18l carrying 12 lbs or so (which is not heavy, but that's why I ask what "heavy" is in this context) and since the hip belt on that pack takes all the weight off the shoulders, that works for me.

Serious backpackers often go with close to 30 pounds. I don't do that, but I'll day hike with my Mindshift 18l carrying 12 lbs or so (which is not heavy, but that's why I ask what "heavy" is in this context) and since the hip belt on that pack takes all the weight off the shoulders, that works for me.
For me, heavily loaded was between 15-20 pounds. I laugh at this because I used to drag 50-60 pound backbacks through the mountains if Alaska when I was younger, now 73. Can't really complain, still skating and hiking up to 10 miles.

I have a Mindshift Gear Backlight 26L backpack that I find to be somewhat uncomfortable to use. After a few miles with less than 15 pounds in it, I start to find it tiring to use. It is a camera backpack that seems to be designed for some hiking, not extended use. I have come across the newer manufacturer NYA-EVO that makes a series of backpacks that are comfortable to use and design for photographers. I am looking into either the 36C or 50C models. Does anyone use a backpack from NYA-EVO and what are your impressions?
I’ve got the 36 and both the medium and large RCI depending on what I’m taking. The 50 is essentially the 36 but with an added roll top like the 60. They and Hudson Henry claim that all are carryon legal…but looking at the actual limits and stated dimensions the 35 and smaller are the only carryon legal sizes. One could probably get away with the 50 easily as long as the top roll part is unused and maybe the 60MP well…but both are technically too big for carryon.

That said…the 36 is excellent for travel and hiking although I generally don’t use it for that. The medium insert will take lenses up to the length of the Z 400/4.5 but anything bigger needs the large. The medium leaves a top area for other stuff that easily fits all my charging gear, cleaning get, and filters…with the large there is still a bit of room but only about 2 inches between the top of the insert and the zipper. The 36 and up have a slot that will take a 15 laptop and iPad at the same time, don’t remem if the 26 has one.

Hudson is an affiliate I guess is the right word with them…and he highly recommends their gear…but then he is an affiliate…but then he’s also a straight shooter so would not be an affiliate if they weren’t meeting his standards. If I hiked with it…the 50 would be a good fit for me with the tool top space…but I don’t. When hiking the gear is on Black Rapid straps and other stuff in a vest, belt with bags, or a small daypack for Rick Steves. I generally will only take a tripod on a hike if waterfalls are involved…and then it’s a light travel one unless it’s a short hike.

Last edited:

I carry the wight I typically carry at a photo shoot. It includes perhaps two long telephoto lenses, usually the 800 pf and either the 600 pf or 400 f4.5. I also carry a backup body (z7ii) as well as one or two wider angle lenses. Add to that a Gitzo 3 series systematic tripod XL and the WImberley 200 gimbal. Plus the z9. I would imagine all that runs 20 to 25 lbs but I have not done the math. I used to go on week long backpacking trips carrying about 35-40 lbs up steep hills without problems.

I have been physically fit all my life and have done a lot of long distance cycling so these weights are nothing for me if carried correctly.

I have the NYA-EVO 36C with the small, medium and large camera bag inserts (RCI's). However, I am also highly interested in the 50C model as well and may add that to my collection.

I've used the 36C on many occasions, and it's well built, comfortable to use, and quite versatile. I really like it a lot!

This weekend I am taking the NYA-EVO 36C, along with my Mindshift Gear Elite 45L, with me on a trip to Death Valley for a week. I have the 36C configured with the medium insert which allows me to carry my Z8 with my 70-200mm lens attached, along with filters, filter bracket, headlamp, lens hood, and other odds and ends all on the inside of the pack in the RCI unit. Then I can fit my Z9 with a 24-70mm lens attached in the top portion of the pack (I'll probably pad that area with a jacket, gloves, etc. as well). This allows me to hike around dusty areas, especially the sand dunes, and have two bodies with lenses already attached, all neatly packed away in my backpack, and not have to worry about having to change lenses in the field.

I took a look at these various packs and I see things in some of the videos that are concerning. I have not however viewed all of them.

Good backpacks I have seen have a metal frame that physically transfers weight to the bottom of the pack where the waist belt is located. In addition the metal frame is configured to match the back's natural curvature. In the old days the metal frame was on the outside, more modern packs have internal metal frame pices.

You can look at the backpack shoulder straps from the side and can see if the shoulder pads exert downward pressure. In the packs I use the shoulder attachment at the top of the pack is above the level of the shoulder. In addition the strap connects at the top of the pack directly to the internal frame so all downward weight at the shoulder goes right through the frame to the waist belt.

The waist belt itself is quite substantial and securely carries the pack weight with no slippage.

When carried this way all of the weight is on the hips, the shoulders are weightless and you can carry a load like that all day.

I think most photo packs I have seen are sized to fit airline carry on restrictions. They are typically shorter and don't have internal frames.

I took a look at these various packs and I see things in some of the videos that are concerning. I have not however viewed all of them.

Good backpacks I have seen have a metal frame that physically transfers weight to the bottom of the pack where the waist belt is located. In addition the metal frame is configured to match the back's natural curvature. In the old days the metal frame was on the outside, more modern packs have internal metal frame pices.

You can look at the backpack shoulder straps from the side and can see if the shoulder pads exert downward pressure. In the packs I use the shoulder attachment at the top of the pack is above the level of the shoulder. In addition the strap connects at the top of the pack directly to the internal frame so all downward weight at the shoulder goes right through the frame to the waist belt.

The waist belt itself is quite substantial and securely carries the pack weight with no slippage.

When carried this way all of the weight is on the hips, the shoulders are weightless and you can carry a load like that all day.

I think most photo packs I have seen are sized to fit airline carry on restrictions. They are typically shorter and don't have internal frames.
Well, you are quite wrong, because shimoda (hd70) and nya Evo (60c) have metal frames. AFAIK larger fstops have frames as well. Damn, my small jack wolfskin satellite (damn awesome And cheap pack) had one as well. And they do almost fit airline limits. Actually for nya Evo its the largest insert that is designed to fit carry on restrictions. They transfer weight to hips via belt really well. Of course there are better trekking backpacks than those. If I were a landscape shooter I would probably just buy a proper hiking backpack and put a small insert inside. However for long lenses I want a proper camera backpack. Custom made packs are in a different price range.

P.s. for those who are after tough packs there is polar pro brand. However their size is limiting for superteles.

NYA-EVO backpacks definitely ARE good backpacks. I can confirm that the 36C does have an aluminum frame. This backpack is medium sized and I consider it somewhat similar to a day pack in size, but a very robust one at that. I don't carry a tremendous amount of weight in it, however two Z8/Z9 bodies and two f/2.8 lenses and accessories is not all that light. Also, the interior volume somewhat limits the amount of weight you can carry, so the harness system is designed well enough for that type of load.

For me, the padded shoulder straps and waistbelt are sufficient for distributing the load between hips and shoulders for a bag this size. It's plenty good enough for what this backpack was designed for.

If I want a more robust hiking-style backpack, I take my MindShift Gear Elite 45L backpack (MindShift Gear BackLight Elite 45L Backpack). It has a much more robust carrying system (shoulder straps and waistbelt) and can carry a lot more gear as well. It's still a camera backpack and not an elite hiking backpack, but it provides a solid frame and weight distribution system for comfortably hiking with a lot of photo gear.

Last edited:
NYA-EVO backpacks definitely ARE good backpacks. I can confirm that the 36C does have an aluminum frame. This backpack is medium sized and I consider it somewhat similar to a day pack in size, but a very robust one at that. I don't carry a tremendous amount of weight in it, however two Z8/Z9 bodies and two f/2.8 lenses and accessories is not all that light. Also, the interior volume somewhat limits the amount of weight you can carry, so the harness system is designed well enough for that type of load.

For me, the padded shoulder straps and waistbelt are sufficient for distributing the load between hips and shoulders for a bag this size. It's plenty good enough for what this backpack was designed for.

If I want a more robust hiking-style backpack, I take my MindShift Gear Elite 45L backpack (MindShift Gear BackLight Elite 45L Backpack). It has a much more robust carrying system (shoulder straps and waistbelt) and can carry a lot more gear as well. It's still a camera backpack and not an elite hiking backpack, but it provides a solid frame and weight distribution system for comfortably hiking with a lot of photo gear.
The MIndshift 45L looks like a really nice backpack. But even the little Mindshift 18l (which will fit under an airline seat) has an excellent heavy duty waist belt. With that thing strapped on and adjusted I'm not carrying weight on my shoulders; it's been fine for 10+ mile hikes. On a recent trip I stuffed a D500, D7500, 500 pf, 16-80, and tele-converter in it, along with laptop and ipad and snacks. And a water bottle. It was pretty darn heavy carrying that thing around in the airport, but all that fit, and the backpack fit under the seat (I didn't hike around with it like that, that's just for transport).

The elite hiking backpacks are built to be very *light* as well as having proper straps and such. It's not possible for a camera backpack to be that light (for a given capacity) since it (by definition ...) has padding and dividers to protect and organize the gear.

I have not tried the NVA-EVO packs. Nor do I state that I have tried all the other packs out there.

At this point i am committed to the McHale custom pack and it should be ready soon. I know Dan McHale and have bought packs from him before and i know they work for me.

When I got my big backpack many years ago I went to the Far East with it for a month and used it as a suitcase. I think it weighed 50 lbs loaded. I never had a problem with it and I could walk all day with it once I got it on my back.

Sure, but it's better to check out before if they do or do not have internal frames before writing they do not 😉

Most likely a custom made backpack will be best of the bunch. Or at least best for you, everyone has different needs and want different features.

But if bought on sale there is a huge pricegap between custom made packs and thouse out of the shelf ones.

I have asked a local military company to make an insert for their backpacks but they were not interested. On the other hand Tasmanian Tiger has a photo backpack but too small for my needs. This is another interesting route besides a hiking/treking backpack for those who are not happy with photo packs. There are also companies around here that make custom insterts for music instruments, for half a price of biggest camera insert. My friends had one made for shimoda before they introduced their new largest insert.

Nobody can really give feedback on the specific NYA-EVO 50 backpack as the first ones will only be shipped coming June.
I do however have the Fjord 36 and 60-C and this to my great pleasure in using them. I don't make super long hikes but use them to bring my travel gear with me on air air travels.

The Fjord 60-C will go on his first intercontinental flight next month and this with the XL insert in it.
Because of the highly adjustable shoulder straps can you get the weight on the hips/waist.

Sure, but it's better to check out before if they do or do not have internal frames before writing they do not 😉

Most likely a custom made backpack will be best of the bunch. Or at least best for you, everyone has different needs and want different features.

But if bought on sale there is a huge pricegap between custom made packs and thouse out of the shelf ones.

I have asked a local military company to make an insert for their backpacks but they were not interested. On the other hand Tasmanian Tiger has a photo backpack but too small for my needs. This is another interesting route besides a hiking/treking backpack for those who are not happy with photo packs. There are also companies around here that make custom insterts for music instruments, for half a price of biggest camera insert. My friends had one made for shimoda before they introduced their new largest insert.
If you read what I said carefully I did not say I saw all packs. I said the ones I saw did not have internal frames.

I bought three different packs. I went to a couple local stores and looked at what was there and tried several on. I ended up buying three different packs over a year and none of them worked for me for hiking. What I spent on those packs was more than I am spending on the custom pack.

Several of the packs discussed here do not appear to be carried in my local stores.

I’ve had my NYA-EVO 60 for some time. It is carry on compatible and mine has done so many times. The frame gets the weight on my hips and this pack lets me carry camera gear as well as the other items I want/need on hikes.

Back