Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

:) 20FPS is great dont get me wrong, just a bummer that Nikon has that limit right out of the gate.
It's basically the same limitation as the Sony A1. If you want 30 FPS(Hi+) in an A1 you either shoot jpeg or a lossy compressed raw. The Nikon implementation is really the same with different terminology.

[edit] It seems based on the published specs the Z9 might only support 30 FPS in jpeg mode in which case Sony supporting it for lossy raw files is looking pretty good. Might have gotten a bit out in front of my skis on that one.

Last edited:
20 FPS is fine with me. I'm on the list with two vendors but not making a final decision until I see some more hands-on reviews.

Anyone venture a guess whether the old FTZ will fit at all with the Z9 or will I need to buy yet another? (I've already got two original FTZs.) Since I'd be using the Z9 primarily with the 500PF or the 500 F4E. I'd hate to have to buy the new FTZ right away.

OK, after going over everything, there are three area where I have a little concern:

1. EVF - 3.6 million dots. One of the reasons I like the a1 so much is that I forget I'm looking though an EVF and the 120 (or even 240) frame refresh rate is helpful when tracking fast subjects. Still, the reviews seem to think it's great, so I'm optimistic.

2. Buffer - I hope it was just a quirk with the preproduction camera dpreview was using, but 40 frames at full 14 bit uncompressed RAW is strikingly low. A two second long RAW buffer is less time shooting than a D7500! Maybe the compressed format is indistinguishable from the lossless option though so we don't have to worry about it.
EDIT - Matt Grainger had a better CFexpress card and while it didn't look like he tested lossless compressed, it looks like he got like 1800 or so using enhanced - I think that the buffer's gotta be bigger than 40 based on just that. That makes far more sense. I'll test it for sure when I get the camera.

3. Eye AF - The fact that Nikon says it's for cats, dogs, and birds makes me wonder how it'll do with the rest of the mammals out there.

Overall, it looks like a solid offering and I already have my NPS order placed. So, I look forward tor trying it out.

It does seem like Nikon more or less just caught up to the competition. I don't really see anywhere (for stills anyway) that they markedly outdid what the a1 or R3 can do. I think about the only place is scan speed and those differences are incredibly minor.

Still, one thing about Nikon - their pro bodies are always more than the sum of their spec sheets. Looking forward to getting it.

Last edited:
20 FPS is fine with me. I'm on the list with two vendors but not making a final decision until I see some more hands-on reviews.

Anyone venture a guess whether the old FTZ will fit at all with the Z9 or will I need to buy yet another? (I've already got two original FTZs.) Since I'd be using the Z9 primarily with the 500PF or the 500 F4E. I'd hate to have to buy the new FTZ right away.

I have the same question. My druthers would be not to buy the new adapter unless I hafta.
I am still baffled about why this issue of "only" 20fps raw seems so essential to so many people. What are you going to miss at 20 fps that you will "nail" at 30fps?

Yeah, I'm not sure on that buffer. High efficiency RAW is their newRAW lossy compressed format. If it's only 40 shots with 14 bit, that's way too low for a camera of this caliber.

No mention of lossless Raw
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 8.49.53 AM.png

I thought it would be a good idea to put everything about the Z9 into one thread with the official announcement. We'll start with the Live Stream video:

I'll update this post with the specs as we go :)
Main specs:

Price $5499 (US)

Sensor - Stacked 45.7 MP, ISO 64-26,600 (120 cycles per second)

Autofocus - 493 points. Eye detection for people, dog, cat, bird, car, motorcycle, bicycle, train plane (AF to EV-6.5. "starlight mode" to -8.5 EV)
AF Areas - pinpoint, single point, Wide (S & L), Dynamic (S, M, L - new) 3D , subject tracking,

Frame rate- 20 FPS at full resolution (RAW). 30 FPS (JPEG full res) 120FPS (11MP JPEG)

Storage- CF Express B, XQD

Video- 8K UHD 24p or 30p, 4K 120p

Buffer - 1000 frames at full res, 20 FPS using the new high efficiency RAW compressed format

Shutter - No mechanical shutter, minimal rolling shutter, speed to 1/32,000th

Viewfinder - No frame dropping, 3690K dot, brightest in industry at the moment

All specs / Nikon page:
Looks like a fabulous camera - Nikon just may have knocked it out of the ballpark. Oh ye of little faith! 🥇🥇

I know, but I guess I was thinking if it can do 1000 pics (dpreview said more like 150 - that's why I'm wondering if it was because it was pre-production), it should be able to get us at least 100 (5 seconds of shooting) with normal RAW.
FWIW, the dpreview guys did mention that they weren't using the fastest CFE cards so that may be part of the issue.

In addition to your list above I'd want to know about button customization, particularly for AF modes. I doubt the preview folks had time to delve into menus and check all this out but that's one of my biggest gripes with the current Z II bodies and something that seems easy to remedy.

FWIW, the dpreview guys did mention that they weren't using the fastest CFE cards so that may be part of the issue.

In addition to your list above I'd want to know about button customization, particularly for AF modes. I doubt the preview folks had time to delve into menus and check all this out but that's one of my biggest gripes with the current Z II bodies and something that seems easy to remedy.
Has anyone seen the area around the "vertical" shutter button - the d6 only has 1 button, it would be nice to have a second button there.

... I'd want to know about button customization, particularly for AF modes. I doubt the preview folks had time to delve into menus and check all this out but that's one of my biggest gripes with the current Z II bodies and something that seems easy to remedy.
That's always been one of my gripes with all Nikon DSLRs. They really limit which functions you can assign to which buttons. Never made sense to me why they would decide that for us. I've always assumed it was due to some sort of hardware limitations.

Great points!

I'm about to update - Matt Grainger had a better CFexpress card and while it didn't look like he tested lossless compressed, it looks like he got like 1800 or so using enhanced - the buffer's gotta be bigger than 40 based on just that.

Jared thinks the pre production Z9 is almost as good as Canon R3's & A1's AF. (probably 90%)

I am sure the consumer model with future firmware updates will only get better.

Considering Nikon's class leading colour science, files etc, I would say that the Z9 is the best camera right now.

And that 5500 USD price tag is a cherry on a cake...

And the 8k 60 12-bit internal video recording is INSANE...

TAKE A BOW NIKON

Last edited:
Back