Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Capture.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Forget the Z9....the 400 and 800 lenses added to the roadmap and seen in outline form have to be PF. 400/4 and 800/5.6 bases on length, girth and front element size. The 400/2.8 with 1.4TC is also a very cool lens.View attachment 26650
An 800 and 400PF would be mind-blowing! Nikon's knows how to open my wallet!

@Steve

There is a confirmation that the EVF is 120Hz refresh...I think i saw it in a couple of videos.one was by Kai and the other i think Matt Granger

OK, after going over everything, there are three area where I have a little concern:

1. EVF - 3.6 million dots and estimated 60 fps refresh. One of the reasons I like the a1 so much is that I forget I'm looking though an EVF and the 120 (or even 240) frame refresh rate is helpful when tracking fast subjects.

2. Buffer - I hope it was just a quirk with the preproduction camera dpreview was using, but 40 frames at full 14 bit uncompressed RAW is strikingly low. A two second long RAW buffer is less time shooting than a D7500! Maybe the compressed format is indistinguishable from the lossless option though so we don't have to worry about it.
EDIT - Matt Grainger had a better CFexpress card and while it didn't look like he tested lossless compressed, it looks like he got like 1800 or so using enhanced - I think that the buffer's gotta be bigger than 40 based on just that. That makes far more sense. I'll test it for sure when I get the camera.

3. Eye AF - The fact that Nikon says it's for cats, dogs, and birds makes me wonder how it'll do with the rest of the mammals out there.

Overall, it looks like a solid offering and I already have my NPS order placed. So, I look forward tor trying it out.

It does seem like Nikon more or less just caught up to the competition. I don't really see anywhere (for stills anyway) that they markedly outdid what the a1 or R3 can do. I think about the only place is scan speed and those differences are incredibly minor.

Still, one thing about Nikon - their pro bodies are always more than the sum of their spec sheets. Looking forward to getting it.

I am shocked at the price. Some will say that 20fps is not up to the competition (a1/r3), but for me that is plenty fast enough. I hope there is an option to slow it down below 20fps as well. There are lots of times (most) where you don't need to be taking that many pics. If the af performance is as they say, this camera is a winner. It will straddle the line between the best prosumer body (canon r5) and the more expensive pro bodies (a1/r3). To my eye it makes those two bodies seem well overpriced. I hope nikon has figured out a way to make a lot of these because at the lower price point demand is going to be that much higher. The only advantage I see to the competition (in theory) is 30fps vs 20 in the a1, and eye driven af in the r3. The latter is a big deal imo...

Did I say I am shocked at the price!

If you could only get 1 lens would you get the Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S or the Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S and why?

I am shocked at the price. Some will say that 20fps is not up to the competition (a1/r3), but for me that is plenty fast enough. I hope there is an option to slow it down below 20fps as well. There are lots of times (most) where you don't need to be taking that many pics. If the af performance is as they say, this camera is a winner. It will straddle the line between the best prosumer body (canon r5) and the more expensive pro bodies (a1/r3). To my eye it makes those two bodies seem well overpriced. I hope nikon has figured out a way to make a lot of these because at the lower price point demand is going to be that much higher. The only advantage I see to the competition (in theory) is 30fps vs 20 in the a1, and eye driven af in the r3. The latter is a big deal imo...

Did I say I am shocked at the price!
I think it was in the official launch, but also in Fro’s video, looks like you can select any number between 1 and 20 FPS

I think the price tag is an apology to the Nikon faithful. And maybe a welcome home to some. Or a decent meal and a shower to us hostages. If it truly a hit I wouldn't be at all surprised if the price increases after a few months.
Apology or putting it to SOny and Canon. Stealling their business. Z9 will drive glass and lower end models.

Forget the Z9....the 400 and 800 lenses added to the roadmap and seen in outline form have to be PF. 400/4 and 800/5.6 bases on length, girth and front element size. The 400/2.8 with 1.4TC is also a very cool lens.View attachment 26650

Wow a 800 PF would be amazing.

The 400 f2.8 Z has a TC. So I am guessing it is longer than the F mount 400 F2.8.

F mount 800 f5.6 = about 18 inches

F mount 400 f 2.8 = about 14 inches

So a Z mount 400 f 2.8 with TC will likely be as tall as a traditional Z mount 800 f 5.6

So the Z mount 800 f5.6 unlikely to turn out to be a PF.

Some will say that 20fps is not up to the competition (a1/r3), but for me that is plenty fast enough.
It's exactly up to the competion, at least to the A1. With the A1 you're limited to 20 FPS unless you shoot jpeg or lossy raw files and only then do you get 30 FPS. That's exactly how Nikon implemented the Z9, you get 20 FPS for lossless compressed raw and 30 FPS for jpegs or their new lossy compressed raw modes. They haven't surpassed the Sony full image frame rates or limitations but they've matched them.

[edit]arrrgh, keep having to add the disclaimer that I seem to have mixed up my info and based on what's been released the Z9 appears to only support 30 FPS for jpegs.... That'll teach me to hold off on posting when the info is coming in by the truckload and I haven't digested all of it yet :oops:

Last edited:
The 400 f2.8 Z has a TC. So I am guessing it is longer than the F mount 400 F2.8.
Not necessarily. The 180-400mm F mount with the internal TC was designed so that the switchable TC was inserted before the final lens group and not added behind the lens the way an external TC would be. It's not clear that adding a TC mid-path will extend the length of the lens.

It's exactly up to the competion, at least to the A1. With the A1 you're limited to 20 FPS unless you shoot jpeg or lossy raw files and only then do you get 30 FPS. That's exactly how Nikon implemented the Z9, you get 20 FPS for lossless compressed raw and 30 FPS for jpegs or their new lossy compressed raw modes. They haven't surpassed the Sony full image frame rates or limitations but they've matched them.

Im confused by what you are saying on this, does the Z9 shoot 30FPS with their lossy compressed RAW format? I thought it was only JPEG for 30FPS

Reactions: Hut
Anyone know if the FTZ adaptor will fit with the built in grip? I didn't see any announcement on a FTZ2. Thoughts?
Someone posted an image from one of the test videos showing the existing FTZ adapter in use with the Z9. The Z9 does have a bump along the bottom that serves as the grip in vertical shooting mode but it appears that that grip does not interfere with the existing FTZ.

Im confused by what you are saying on this, does the Z9 shoot 30FPS with their lossy compressed RAW format? I thought it was only JPEG for 30FPS
Yes, Nikon is calling their highly compressed raw in the Z9 'High-Efficiency Raw' and you get the full 30 FPS frame rate when shooting in that mode or at least that's what I gathered from this morning's round of previews. They no longer call it 'lossy compression' but it's pretty clear with the large amount of compression that it has to be a lossy algorithm as true lossless compression algorithms like LZW or ZIP don't achieve nearly as much image size compression as they're advertising. Whether the new compression yields near lossless results remains to be seen.

[edit] too much info too fast for me to assimilate. Folks are saying it really is jpeg only at 30 FPS for the Z9 vs 30 FPS for jpegs and lossy raw in the A1

Last edited:
Reactions: wes
Back